The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2022, 07:58 PM   #1
Ironhorse

'99 Tahoe 2WD Questions

Seeing as hindsight is 20/20 I am beginning to think I never should have sold our previous '99 4WD Tahoe LS. Got to missing the ride and the comfort for my daily knock around ride and decided to begin looking for such as a ride replacement. So......looked at a '99 2WD today, rough leather interior, cargo doors, 5.7 Vortec, A/C works but not cold, W/S broke, 226K on the clock. Priced at $3,000. Some issues but not out of the question, body straight with minor dings/scratches. Decent for a knock around driver which is what I'm looking for.

The bad: W/S broke requiring replacement as mentioned

HARD shift from park to drive (3rd gear, four spd auto) Hesitates and then when shifts it's like a kick in the back side.

Gas gauge VERY erratic, read way past full at off, start up, moves to 1/8th tank, driving goes to past full, back to 1/8th tank. Continuously.

Few minor issues with interior, cruise works fine, A/C works but not cold at all, carpet is worn, P/W all work fine, radio plays good, not sure about the CD player.

Can someone give some input about the hard shift and the gas gauge situation. Our '99 4WD had a hard shift issue which was repaired with a slider valve in the trans being replaced. Thinking same with this 2WD issue?
I'm thinking I'm in at $2,500 to $2,700 max with the known issues and the windshield needing replacement. Thoughts ????
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:25 PM   #2
EVRLET

Re: '99 Tahoe 2WD Questions

Good luck on the gas gauge. I have a 99 2-door and replaced the fuel pump with OEM and had the cluster rebuilt and the damn needle still jiggles. Not having the symptom you have, which sounds like a worn float arm just floating freely, but that damn needle is a dancing machine.

Sounds like this Tahoe lived a rough life and the tranny is tired. Not sure I would do a mild repair over a rebuild, since these 4L60s are a dime a dozen.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:55 PM   #3
Ironhorse

Re: '99 Tahoe 2WD Questions

Thanks for the thoughts and reply. After talking to a local transmission shop I have used in the past with excellent results am having second thoughts about pursuing this 99 Tahoe any further. The hard shift, fuel gauge issue and the windshield needing replaced: I'm in for at least a $1,000 or more after purchase and that does not address the A/C needing attention and the other minor cosmetics. Body and paint is good and it has the cargo doors I much prefer but just don't think this is the one for me. Thanks again for your input and thoughts.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is online now   Reply With Quote