The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2022, 10:14 PM   #76
davischevy

Re: What are your top 5 take out burgers??

Not in any particular order.

Pappy's smashburger. (Local mobile trailer.)
Grices Deli. Local
Fat Burger. We ate at the only one I have seen last weekend. It was very good and very expensive.
The burger King here is good if you have then leave off the ketchup.
Steak and Shake may be my favorite.
Jalapeno's or peppers on everything.

My BIL grew up in Covina, CA, so when we were in California I ate at In N Out Burger a lot. It was good. He also took me to the Northwoods Steakhouse in West Covina. We got a steak there.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:04 PM   #77
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post

My BIL grew up in Covina, CA, so when we were in California I ate at In N Out Burger a lot. It was good. He also took me to the Northwoods Steakhouse in West Covina. We got a steak there.
I grew up in Covina. Graduated from Covina High. (Go Colts) I say I'm from LA because nobody knows where the heck Covina is. It might as well be Mars. And I spent a lot of time in LA because as a teenager Covina was kind of boring. The funny thing about West Covina is that a lot of it is east of Covina. Somebody must have flunked geography.

North Woods is the best. We would go there on special occasions.

I used to go to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show at this theater on midnight movie night. The place next door used to be Bucky's Bar and Grill. I met my old girlfriend there back in the day. It was a fun place.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:47 PM   #78
68bowtie

We had home made sliders for dinner. 2” garlic & onion salt patties from scratch, cheese, toasted hawaiian roll buns, sautéed onions, pickled peppers (from our garden), and a smidge of bbq sauce. WOW was that a mouthful of flavor.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:37 AM   #79
Richard

Forgot to add Tommy's to my post. A good greasy gut busting chili burger we get every once in a while. I get the chili fries as well. Love it when i eat it but hate it in the morning.
Pricing is still not outrageous, so we still go there when the sometimes takeout is desired.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:46 AM   #80
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Big hell yea on Roys. I miss it a lot.
Growing up it was my absolute favorite place to eat, there was 3 right around my childhood home and dad & I love a roast beef. Their burgers are quite good as well, that double r bar with the ham!! In West Springfield there used to be two next to each other, in different shopping centers you could see them from one another. Now I pass one everyday on my way home through Gainesville and man it's tough not to stop!

I wanted to add one more burger spot, it's local to me in Warrenton & Culpeper, Graze to Griddle. They source all their stuff from the local farms and don't get fancy with it, their a smash type burger with limited add on's but damn good. They used to just run out of a food truck but they just opened their store front in Culpepper a few months ago and occasionally add a specialty burger. Burgers, fries, cheese curds all good.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:54 AM   #81
special-K
Special Order

Ok, I don't eat out much. What is a smash burger anyway. How are they different?

I said I like my burgers conventional, most of the time. But I always use jalapeno mustard and before that I'd put some pickled jalapeno slices on.

My brother-in-law grew up in Central and South America. He likes "authentic" cuisine from that region. He uses Tapatico because he says it's authentic. I love hot sauces and I like authentic as well as Gringo creations. Plus different cultural foods have their own styles of hot sauce. There is more than one authentic when it comes to hot sauce. I have at least a dozen different bottles in my fridge. I buy this "authentic" brand (actually made in Mexico) I told my sister I wanted to give a bottle to him and she said he only likes the kind he uses. I didn't even know it was possible to try every one there is out there. I see new sauces all the time.

Variety is the hot sauce of life

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:53 AM   #82
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Ok, I don't eat out much. What is a smash burger anyway. How are they different?
I have heard of this one too, but never been to one. I think they are around here, but haven't been curious enough to seek it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
The funny thing about West Covina is that most of it is east of Covina. Somebody must have flunked geography.

I used to go to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show at this theater on midnight movie night.
I'm sure that there are others, city names can be a bit all over the place.
We have one that is similar here too.
There is a suburb of Columbus called Westerville. It is in the north east part of town.

We had a theater in the north end of town that showed the Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnight every Friday for years, many years. People would get dressed up for the wedding and throw rice and the whole bit.

Edited to add: I just looked it up and of all crazy things, the closest Smash Burger is in Westerville...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:45 AM   #83
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I have heard of this one too, but never been to one. I think they are around here, but haven't been curious enough to seek it out.
Smash Burger is a style of cooking, they take a chilled round ball of ground beef put it on a extra hot griddle and "Smash" it with the spatula, this creates a patty that is crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside. Very tasty.

We have a local one called Lula's, that is the best burger in the valley IMHO.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:09 AM   #84
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Smash Burger is a style of cooking, they take a chilled round ball of ground beef put it on a extra hot griddle and "Smash" it with the spatula, this creates a patty that is crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside. Very tasty.
Exactly this, it's a style of cooking the burger on a flat top, some times they use a weighted press, like an old cast-iron iron on the flat top and not just the spatula. Although there's an actual "Smash Burger" chain, the style is used buy lots of other restaurants.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #85
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
Exactly this, it's a style of cooking the burger on a flat top, some times they use a weighted press, like an old cast-iron iron on the flat top and not just the spatula. Although there's an actual "Smash Burger" chain, the style is used buy lots of other restaurants.
Interesting....did not know there was a Smash Burger Chain. If I should ever see one I'll have to try it.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:01 PM   #86
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:

We have a local one called Lula's, that is the best burger in the valley IMHO.
Yup. I smash my burgers all the time on the Blackstone griddle. It gets a good crust on them. And I like thin burgers. But then again I like the thick ones too. But two thin ones give you more flavor and if you do it right they're still plenty juicy.

Just don't try to make a smash burger on the grill. That won't go well.

Tim, your BIL would love it here. They have Tapatio all over the place. On practically every table. I have a bottle and a Tapatio dill pickle in my fridge right now. Can you believe that? A pickle? I haven't tried it yet but it looked interesting. I'm not a big fan of Tapatio myself but I seem to be in the minority on that one. It's...Eh... Okay. Nothing special. Chohula is better. Kind of the same but better. And my home made salsa is waaaaay better.

Sheepdip if you want the best burger in Kern Valley then just come by my place. Those guys got nothing on me.

Chili dogs that have been marinated in the car for 3 days are also available. Adult diapers are optional. But you'll probably need em.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:49 PM   #87
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Jalapeno mustard.....hmmmm..I may have to find some of that..
But I do not like spicy mustard...I've tried a bunch of them...never do like the taste

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:48 PM   #88
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Yeah, I knew it was a style, my parents actually did that when I was a kid.
I had heard about the chain that was using the name, before they ever got here. I don't eat much red meat anymore, so I just haven't bothered with it.
But now, I am curious, especially if they load you up with fries like 5 Guys does.
Penn Station Subs are pretty good with the fries too. I just had that for the first time about a week ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:48 PM   #89
Sheepdip

Quote:

Sheepdip if you want the best burger in Kern Valley then just come by my place. Those guys got nothing on me.

Chili dogs that have been marinated in the car for 3 days are also available. Adult diapers are optional. But you'll probably need em.
I'll take you up on that if I ever get down and up your way. Years ago we used to put in for a draw hunt for Quail and Chucker at the South Park area up in Weldon just above you. Always did very well there. Too old and stiff for all that "Hill Humping" now.

I'll pass on the Chili Dogs.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:02 PM   #90
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Not in any particular order.

Pappy's smashburger. (Local mobile trailer.)
Grices Deli. Local
Fat Burger. We ate at the only one I have seen last weekend. It was very good and very expensive.
The burger King here is good if you have then leave off the ketchup.
Steak and Shake may be my favorite.
Jalapeno's or peppers on everything.

I might be the only member on here besides the other Larry that knows where Grices Deli is located. One of my favorite stops up that way.

In no particular order:
David's Burgers
Burger, Pies, and Fries
Freddy's Burgers
Steak and Shake (they make a good sausage gravy and biscuit, too)
Any of the many mom and pop dairy bars around the state
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:03 PM   #91
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
I'll pass on the Chili Dogs.
Aw come on! All you have to lose is your digestive system and your dignity.

Funny that you mention Weldon. I'm there right now. I have a house here. Most people have never heard of it. Not much here.

Patty Melts tonight with grilled onions on Garlic Marble Rye. I just have to figure out what sauce to make? Hmmmm? Chili's already done. Onions are done. Should be a fast cook. Easy peasy.

I love Marble Rye bread. But it's hard to find. I have no idea why but it's one of those get it while you can things.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:21 PM   #92
joedoh

DOG N SHAKE holy moly how could i forget? probably because i usually get a chili dog haha

if you are in the doodah area, i highly recommend.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:43 PM   #93
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
DOG N SHAKE holy moly how could i forget? probably because i usually get a chili dog haha

if you are in the doodah area, i highly recommend.
Chili dogs are the best. But I have to ask. How well do the Dog N Shake chili dogs hold up after being in a car for 3 days? I'm asking for a friend. I wouldn't know anything about that. Nope. I plead the 5th.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:11 PM   #94
mongocanfly
Post Whore

("asking for a friend")...hahahahahahahahahaha

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:48 PM   #95
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
("asking for a friend")...hahahahahahahahahaha
X2

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:40 PM   #96
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Plain ole cheeseburgers tonight. My wife as usual bought way too much ground beef for the patty melts. So I'm just making basic "Plain Jane' burgers with the leftovers.

I might throw in something spicy and not tell her. She'll just have to find out the hard way.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #97
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

1. Local place called the Sub-base. Best hamburger I've ever had.

2. Burger King, on condition it doesn't take a half hour to prepare, and they make it right. Plus $10-11 for a meal? no thanks. What happened to that place anyway? I worked there in the 70s and we pumped it out fast. I never tired of their burgers, and far too many shakes.

3. In N Out Burger. Good stuff great price. Never tried Five Guys. For that matter, I've never even tried one

4. Wendys I suppose. At least you know what you're getting.

5. Don't have a five, though I've eaten a share of Big Macs, long ago. Same as Burger King, $10 for that no thanks.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:02 PM   #98
special-K
Special Order

Tonight was to be burger night, thanks to this thread. But I worked kind of late and ate lunch early... hungry! So on my way home it seemed lighting the grille and eating later didn't seem like a good idea, so I decided to roll up some crumble burgers instead (that would be burritos). Can't beat that for a quick meal!

Quote:
Yup. I smash my burgers all the time on the Blackstone griddle. It gets a good crust on them. And I like thin burgers. But then again I like the thick ones too. But two thin ones give you more flavor and if you do it right they're still plenty juicy.

Just don't try to make a smash burger on the grill. That won't go well.

Tim, your BIL would love it here. They have Tapatio all over the place. On practically every table. I have a bottle and a Tapatio dill pickle in my fridge right now. Can you believe that? A pickle? I haven't tried it yet but it looked interesting. I'm not a big fan of Tapatio myself but I seem to be in the minority on that one. It's...Eh... Okay. Nothing special. Chohula is better. Kind of the same but better. And my home made salsa is waaaaay better...
I don't have a favorite hot sauce because I like variety. For my Mexican stuff El Yucateca is way up there. They have variety AND are authentic-o. They came out with a Caribbean one. That's the one I wanted to give him to try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Jalapeno mustard.....hmmmm..I may have to find some of that..
But I do not like spicy mustard...I've tried a bunch of them...never do like the taste
PM your address and I'll send some on. It's plain old yellow mustard plus jalapeno. Those Germans really know their hot peppers
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:31 PM   #99
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
I might be the only member on here besides the other Larry that knows where Grices Deli is located. One of my favorite stops up that way.

In no particular order:
David's Burgers
Burger, Pies, and Fries
Freddy's Burgers
Steak and Shake (they make a good sausage gravy and biscuit, too)
Any of the many mom and pop dairy bars around the state
It never occurred to me that anybody would know about Grices' so I didn't elaborate on it's existence.

Pappys Smashburgers is in a mobile trailer in Harrison, at Forward Drive and 65/412.

I forgot about David's Burgers.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:38 PM   #100
leddzepp

At the Angels game tonight
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote