The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #1
Jayo73

18x10 to the front!!

Want some real knowledge and speaking from experience answers to this. Can I get a 18x10 wheel with 6"of backspace and 275/40/18 on the front of my '82? It has umi 2" coil springs and 2 1/2 spindles I tried to take measurements but still not sure. Thanks in advance. I have seen 18x9.5 with a 275/35/18 but not sure what b.s was.
Jayo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:33 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: 18x10 to the front!!

You'll need to buy a wheel fitment tool.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wheel...UaAncNEALw_wcB

On my truck I have 17x9's with 5.5 inches I think of back space on the rear. From a set of 4 I bought. So I played with them to see if they would work on thr front.

Not stock. I could get away with it if I narrowed the lower a arm 1/2 a inch.

With as much as you want. You may need to narrow the track width more then I would of.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:06 PM   #3
Jayo73

What was the issue you were having?
Old 09-10-2022, 08:31 AM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

The lip of the wheel stuck to far out. As fat as turning nothing was hitting on the inside, but if I lowered my truck more. The tires could contact the fender lip under compression especially when I turned.

I am not sure if my truck was lowered, or just lowered itself over time. Although it looks to have a 1.5" front drop comparing to rebuilt stock suspension trucks.

So I went with the big/little look on my truck. I have the 17x9's in the rear, and 16x8's up front. With 285/65r17, and 255/65r16 respectively. For me this was a better solution as I wanted to run different tires front, and rear. Now I can do my planned 1.5-2" front drop with out worries. Or other suspension mods.

But the tool allows you to verify fitment with the tire you intend to run. Simulating actual tire width, and height very nicely. Or know what mods you have to run to make it all work. Like shortening the A-arms a inch or so.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:34 PM   #5
Jayo73

I gotcha the wheel I'm looking at has 6" not 5.5 but thanks for the info I could eventually upgrade to the cpp modular spindle witch narrows the track width. I might just do a staggered setup also.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:31 PM   #6
SCOTI

You'd need to test fit the wheel option on the spindles/hub to verify for sure. One guys set-up is not the same as another's. Despite having similar dimensions, wheels from different manufacturers are built differently using possible (probable) different parts.

2.5" drop spindles can interfere w/the barrel of the wheel on deep back-space applications @ the tie-rod end.

*I had some 18x8.5" wheels w/5.5"BS that were test fit on a set-up using 2" drop spindles. There was only about a manila-folders width gap for clearance @ that point. More back-space would not have worked w/those 2" drop spindles & def would not have cleared w/a 2.5" spindle.*

Beyond that.... 6" back space is going to find your frame rail, shock, & a-arm quickly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:23 AM   #7
Jayo73

Thanks for for the reply SCOTI. Well we're gonna find out in a couple weeks whether or not I did something stupid �� wouldn't be the first time. It looked to to have clearance everywhere except I didn't realize til after I purchased them that I forgot about the sway bar because that hasn't been on it a couple of years. I do have cpp tubular control arms so that helps in the clearance department. I guess a nice set of wheel spacers may be in my future.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:31 AM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

You can go with a splined sway bar with custom links to slide one in if your tight on space.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:37 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
You can go with a splined sway bar with custom links to slide one in if your tight on space.
Likely only if he modifies the a-arm mounting point.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #10
Jayo73

I'll try to post some pics in a couple weeks and we can all laugh together or laugh at me lol!!
Old 09-16-2022, 01:16 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayo73 View Post
I'll try to post some pics in a couple weeks and we can all laugh together or laugh at me lol!!
It would be great if it works out for you. I just feel w/the stuff I've played around with there will be obstacles. I will also go on record that it will ultimately come down to the parts combo & what if anything requires compromise.

It's one of the reasons I'm re-working the current set-up on one of my cars (removing the drop spindles because of the TRE clearance issue when targeting deeper back-spacing required w/a wider wheel). My end goal on the project is a 9" front wheel w/5.75BS. Without the deeper BS target, the fenders would have to be flared & I want to keep it stock-ish appearing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-11-2022, 05:46 PM   #12
Jayo73

Well they almost fit the cpp tubular control arm lower shock mount rubs the inner lip so 1/4" spacer is needed or I may move the mount
Old 10-11-2022, 07:08 PM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayo73 View Post
Well they almost fit the cpp tubular control arm lower shock mount rubs the inner lip so 1/4" spacer is needed or I may move the mount
At what steering/turning angle? That's likely when it makes contact (full L-or-R turning). Deep backspace wheels tend to contact the arm on turn-in. Not surprised @ all it found the shock mount.

Modern stuff have a-arm/suspension link set-ups shaped to allow normal turning degree w/o making contact. Same issue w/the 'stock' C10 sway bar links.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-12-2022, 02:41 PM   #14
Jayo73

At full lock. I don't have sway bars yet so that could be another issue not sure what I'm running yet. Was looking at cpp high clearance bars. I should have just got the wheels with 5.5 of bs
Old 10-12-2022, 03:56 PM   #15
SunSoaked

You all going to carry on like this without any pics? Blasphemy!
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote