The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
joepa330

Zinging noise.. Only way to describe it

2000 GMC Sierra SLE, 5.3L, np246gm trans.
Got truck stuck in mud/snow, tried to rock it, reverse/drive, multiple times... Then wouldn't go into gear, and just heard a noise that can best be described as taking the letter z and riding it out. ZZZZZZZZZZZ. Dropped transfer case, thinking chain was stripping gears, but everything looks like new, no chunks or fresh shavings. Was told that transfer case is seperate fluid from trans, but now have trans fluid on my driveway , coming from output shaft area of trans ... Anybody got any idea why I don't have a truck yet ? I miss my baby!!!!
joepa330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: Zinging noise.. Only way to describe it

Pull the transmission pan & look for metal, Could have shelled a rear planetary.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
joepa330

Re: Zinging noise.. Only way to describe it

Ok, I'll do that. I started the truck up without the transfer case on, and tail shaft from tranny was spinning. Is it supposed to spin while not in gear? Also, tranny fluid is coming out tail shaft, I thought this wasn't supposed to happen. The tail shaft won't spin by hand while truck is off. Buddy of mine said that there may be something wrong with something on bottom of inside of trans, something like a clip or something that puts and holds it in park.
joepa330 is offline   Reply With Quote