The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2002, 01:16 PM   #1
crew70

what gas tank to use to get rid of cab tank

would like to get rid of tank in cab and put a couple under truck.
dont wont the ugly filler door like the camper special did.
crew70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 02:41 PM   #2
jones

ya, me too.
would a blazer/suburban tank fit between the frame rails at the rear?
still, how would one mount a filler to look sano?
I've seen guys weld in gas doors from newer trucks, but that seems like a lot of work and perhaps a challange to plumb.
ideas?
jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:13 PM   #3
Stout72
Not my good side.

Me, too. Mine was set up with dual saddle tanks by a previous owner, the plumbing is still there but the tanks and straps are gone. No fuel doors on the sides of the bed, which has me wondering (bed replaced since?). Saw a '72 GMC at the junk yard w/ dual saddles, but the tanks hung down below the bed and cab by about 1 1/2". Want to avoid that. I'll be watching this thread for suggestions.
79 Yamaha XS1100 Special (Ol' Reliable)
Stout72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:37 PM   #4
batboy

I've heard of several people using Suburban/Blazer tanks. Not sure what they did about the filler. However, look at some streetrodder magazines and venders, they have several cool custom gas filler options. I've seen nice flush mount doors or they sometimes hide them in an inner fender well or on the inside of the bed. You are only limited by your imagination. Seems like RB Obsolete maybe has some of those custom filler things if I remember right.
batboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 05:20 PM   #5
colohusker

Here's a link to a picture of someone that hid it behind the side marker light. I've also seen the filler tube hidden behind a taillight, but couldn't find a link to that one.

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/danny_cummings_4x4.htm

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 08:45 PM   #6
EighthD

I used a fuel door out of a mazda. I forget what model it was I just looked at a lot of different cars and decided which on would work good on my truck. I used a 71/72 blazer tank. I had to remove the sopport for the spare tire. And notch the bed cross member so the tank would fit. The hole for the tank straps was already in the frame. I installed the gas door behind the left rear wheel well. And I had to run the filler through the bed floor and inner bed side. I dont have a scanner if I did I would post pics.But it did turn out real nice.
EighthD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:37 PM   #7
XXL
Seņor Member

I hid my filler in the stepside wheelwell. It's completely undetectible until you start poking around inside the wheelwell. And, to simplify the refueling process, I used a Hagan fuel filler neck and cap. Their cap has a spring-loaded door in the center of it... so I don't need to reach in and unscrew it for filling. I just jam the nozzle at the gas station into the cap and the spring-loaded door lets it in. Quick and easy.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 01:10 AM   #8
chevyman 68 C/10

Good idea on the no cap kneck but does this allow dirt to collect and be pushed into the tank every time you refill?

Chevyman 68 C/10
chevyman 68 C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 10:17 AM   #9
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chevyman 68 C/10
Good idea on the no cap kneck but does this allow dirt to collect and be pushed into the tank every time you refill?

Chevyman 68 C/10
Actually no. That was my concern initially so I drove around for a couple of months after I did it, with a plastic sandwich bag and rubber band over it. What I found was that the bag was always clean... so it didn't appear to be catching any dirt from off the tire as I had thought might happen. So then I made a little tin "cup" insert that went under the cap (expecting to catch anything that squeezed its way past the spring-loaded door). I drove around with that in it for another few weeks, but nothing ever showed up in the cup either. I think the placement is such that nothing gets thrown at it from the tire except that rain might actually be washing it off (because it is always VERY clean), and that the door's o-ring and spring are working well. So far so good!

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 10:03 PM   #10
crew70

good Ideas. thanks guys.
crew70 is offline   Reply With Quote