The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2002, 09:25 PM   #1
RAGIN68

The answer to my gas tank relocation.

I want to get rid of the gas tank behind the seat but don’t want to put it behind the rear drive train because it puts the spare tire in the bed on the finished oak flooring. So I sported the idea of getting a tool box/gas tank combination. This was a good idea but the lower gas tank part allows the gas to sloush from side to side and a sending unit wont work on it. Its also expensive. My latest idea is to take a rather inexpensive dimond plate tool box and bolt in an aftermarket gas tank inside the toolbox on the driver side. Then put a partition to the side of it to separate it from the rest of the tool box. Then of cource run the lines and vent. This is my idea in progress. It works for me and maybe for some of you. Let me know what yall think.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:40 PM   #2
XXL
Señor Member

Scrap the spare and buy some fix-a-flat or a cell phone. Or... live with a spare in the bed. The idea of having a huge toolbox in the bed that will hide the fuel tank seems to defeat the purpose. Going that route will cover much of your finished oak flooring too, won't it?

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:55 PM   #3
72 custom C-20

Heres a question. Dose anybody make a "donut" for a full size truck or suv? That would solve alot of problems.
Anybody modify a car donut?

Just scratching my head out loud.

David
Southampton, Pa.
72 custom C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:23 PM   #4
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

Scrap the spare and call your insurance company and have them put roadside assistance on your policy. Real cheap and real handy.
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:12 AM   #5
RAGIN68

As far as the tool box size, it will be no bigger then an average size tool box with aprox 12 in of space under it. Personally I couldnt do with out a tool box. And seeing that people depend on me to get to work on time it is not an option for me to sit waiting on an auto service to come and help. It would be pretty stupid to take a trip or go anywhere without a spare. Just my opion....
Old 06-15-2002, 10:12 AM   #6
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RAGIN68
As far as the tool box size, it will be no bigger then an average size tool box with aprox 12 in of space under it. Personally I couldnt do with out a tool box. And seeing that people depend on me to get to work on time it is not an option for me to sit waiting on an auto service to come and help. It would be pretty stupid to take a trip or go anywhere without a spare. Just my opion....
You appear to be asking for magic. You don't want a spare in the bed-- which led me to believe you want your bed to be "clean" and free of clutter, you want the spare where the Blazer tank would go. We gave you a few opinions on how to solve this impossible dilemma-- get rid of the spare, put it in the bed, whatever. You appear to already have your solution defined, so what do you want to hear from us?

BTW, the "stupidity" of going without a spare is pretty subjective. I haven't had a spare tire in my vehicles for the last 10 years. I've had 1 flat in that time, and I used my mobile phone to get help. Help arrived as promptly as I likely could have changed a tire with the archaic and dangerous factory jack and tools that came with this particular car, my suit and tie stayed clean and dry, and I watched a guy change it from the comfort of his truck. I realize that isn't how ALL flat experiences go, but like I said... the stupidity part is pretty subjective.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 10:29 AM   #7
Low69CST

If you want a doughnut for your truck, just call up a steel wheel manufacter and look for a 13 or 14 inch 4 inch wide wheel with a 6 bolt pattern then put some skinny motocycle tire on it or something like that.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 08:26 PM   #8
chevyman 68 C/10

Donuts are easy to find in 6 hole or large chevy patern 5 on 5,any salvege yard can fix you up. And don't forget chocolate and glazed !

Chevyman 68 C/10
chevyman 68 C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 10:57 PM   #9
crew70

just pull a trailer behind with some extra tires,some cans of gas,a couple quarts of oil,maybe some spare brake shoes,and leave the poor truck alone!!!!lol
crew70 is offline   Reply With Quote