The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2021, 07:08 PM   #1
truckster

My Softopper Thread

Not to take away from TheAlien's thread. This is my own experience.

After dealing with a long backorder, my Softopper arrived on the day I left for North Carolina, so it sat in my garage for three weeks. I got it installed last week and here's how it went.

First of all, it's possible to do it with one person, but it really helps to have a second person when you're putting on the canvas.

The instructions were pretty simple, but there seemed to be some things missing. I'll go through them in order to help anyone else who might be doing this.

When mounting the header bar, the screws supplied in the kit break very easily, even if tightening by hand. I had a problem with the front end of the canvas coming up at 35 MPH. I discovered I needed to bend the header bar up slightly to get the plastic front edge of the canvas to seat.

Between steps 3 and 4 of the canopy installation (page 17 on my installation guide) snap the rear snaps onto the rear bar.

On steps 7 and 8 of installing the canopy, it's easier to secure the plastic strip under the header bar before you secure the velcro to the door surround.

On steps 10 and 11, it's easier to fasten the front snaps if there's little or no tension of the rear safety straps.

Prior to step 20, make sure the rear window is installed onto the canopy at the top using the velcro.

That's it. The installation isn't very complicated. I like having options that allow me to drive the Blazer in any weather.
Attached Images