The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
texascowboy593

Project "Tracy Lee" 59 Apache

Here we go! the officical start to an all new build thread. Its a 59 Apache that I picked up for a great price. It already has a fresh 350 with a big cam. I fired it up yesterday for the first time and it felt like a concussion bomb (2 cherry bombs underneath). that thing runs strong. I just got a early 80's Blazer frame today and in a couple of weeks we will sandblast and paint it with new goodies up front. The truck already came with a F#rd 9" out back and we will use that. We're going to put a patch panel on the dash to smooth it out and also got a new instrument panel from Brothers filled with Autometer gauges. Knowing things dont always turn out as planned... I do hope to have it up and running in 3-4 mos. Other options I'm thinking about are a 4-link out back, Air-ride at all 4 corners, and a fiberglass top for the bed. Heres to a good beginning!
Attached Images

2014 Dodge Durango (Wife-mobile)
2008 Dodge Ram Lone Star Edition (Daily driver)
texascowboy593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
texascowboy593

Re: Project "Tracy Lee" 59 Apache

more pics...
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
texascowboy593

Me and my wife (thanks to her for putting up with this habit of mine) think turquoise would be a good color for this project. I am open for other suggestions if yall have any... I will keep everyone well informed throughout the build so stay tuned!!! thx, J
Old 07-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #4
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Cool project . Just so happens to be my wife's name (Traci Leigh) Any color will look cool on that truck!

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:41 AM   #5
poncho_villa

Sweet project! That frame outta work great. The attachment points for cab location are the only real tricky part. Looks like you got tons of fun ahead of you. I like your color choice, but I'm partial to that one.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 AM   #6
Igotachevyor2
Apache Club

good deal i was thinking of going that route with the blazer frame since i have a 81 k5 parts truck. have you figured out what changes you will have to do to make that frame work? keep us posted with progress
Igotachevyor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Jebb1978

Great start to a project thread, I will keep an eye on it. Welcome again to the club!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
texascowboy593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotachevyor2
good deal i was thinking of going that route with the blazer frame since i have a 81 k5 parts truck. have you figured out what changes you will have to do to make that frame work? keep us posted with progress
Well, this weekend my build-up buddy with all the answers is out of town so there will be no work this weekend

Since I have to stay busy, I have been researching options about the frame. The current original frame looks pretty clean. The straight axle is a 3" drop axle and the PO had also re-located the shocks and has parts (some not all) for a pwr steering upgrade. I saw at Brothers a rear traction bar set (RTB5559) that would do well with the 9" out back. I also have that Blazer tank on that other frame pictured above that I'm sure I could install on the old frame (it'll fit ,right?)

Basically Im now leaning towards the original frame vs. the Blazer frame. There have already been mods to the original that I'd hate to just "toss". The Blazer frame will cost much more to clean up with all new hardware etc. I know the ride won't be as smooth w/ the straight axle up front but I'm sure I can live with it for awhile. This will not be a daily driver. If it was, I'd be pushing for the A-arms up front.

What do ya'll think I should do? Im looking to do It right but within a somewhat tight budget in a fairly short amount of time. It won't be rushed but it won't be a backburner project either...Thx for the input!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

It would be much easier and less cost to stay with the original. Unless you just have to have an IFS front end the 3" drop axle is fine and certainly different that the normal MII ifs swap. People complain about bump steer on straight axles but they still use them today on heavier trucks and I don't remember it being that bad on mine. P/S is a good idea if he has the parts or most of them I'd do it. I'm pretty sure you can get the blaser tank to fit in the frame in the rear. Swapping the blaser frame is a lot of work, You would need to stretch the frame, build the mounts and all the other un-known stuff that you have to fab up.

Last edited by dwcsr; 07-15-2006 at 09:43 AM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #10
texascowboy593

dwcsr, thx for the reply. Even if I dont use that Blazer frame, I still got the tank. I paid $150 for the whole thing and people pay way more than that for just the tank (new).

I have only one real exterior body issue to deal with and thats the driver side door. The back side lower area of the door is in real bad shape. The PO alerted me to this before the sale. I started picking away and pulling on LAYERS of POORLY MIXED Bondo. I have to post pics later, left camera at work(oops). I'm not really a bodyman by any means, but I can tell thats not right!
Old 07-15-2006, 02:07 PM   #11
texascowboy593

As promised earlier the pics of the heavily bondo'ed door bottom... This is not good...
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2006, 03:33 PM   #12
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

They must have held a form up against the door and poured it like a concrete wall. Thats some thick bondo
Old 07-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
Jebb1978

Hey Tex, what are the dimensions on that fuel tank? Looking at it pictured it appears like it would be a very slick money saving upgrade if it fits... I may just have to use one of those.

I agree with dwcsr on this frame swap thing. If you want to get it on the road quick I would avoid removing the cab from the frame if at all possible. The deeper you get in the more stuff you want to "do while your in there". That's my 2 cents. That looks like a killer project, I can see several big dollar items already included!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #14
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb1978
The deeper you get in the more stuff you want to "do while your in there". That's my 2 cents.
I'm 6 years into "more stuff" on a 2 year project. I have to stop getting these brainy ideas and just finish what I have.

Last edited by dwcsr; 07-15-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:39 PM   #15
texascowboy593

Hey guys thx for the responses. I cant get to the truck til next weekend. It's all locked away at my buddys house and he's out of town. I will get the dimensions as soon as I can get it out of the current frame. You might be able to look up dimensions on-line for an 80-81 Blazer.

dwcsr, Ive seen your work and it looks great! You say 6 yrs on the 2 yr project and it would take me 12-15 yrs to achieve the same quality you've shown in your pics...(hydroboost...That is cool)
Old 07-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #16
texascowboy593

This pic is to show how much area the bondo covers...
Attached Images

Last edited by texascowboy593; 07-15-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #17
BOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascowboy593
This pic is to show how much area the bondo covers...
Don't feel bad. My front fenders were almost solid fiberglass and bondo. On the bottom of the fenders it was literally almost a half inch thick.
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:19 PM   #18
JIMBO59
APACHE CLUB

Hey Tex, I Might Have A Door Availble Later In The Week If Your Interested. Doors I Get Are Usually Solid But Need Patch Work At Bottom Where Skin Meets Door Frame. Dont They All Rust Out There Lol.skins Are In Nice Shape Though. Let Me Know. Just Pm Me.
JIMBO59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:00 AM   #19
JIMBO59
APACHE CLUB

Tex, Got A Couple Of D/side Doors Today. Like I Thought They Have Good Skins But Will Need Frame Work At Bottom From Rot. Still Not Bad. Cheap Fix When A New Door Is Almost 500.00 Bucks. Pm Me. I Will Post Pics Tomorrow,i Am Beat. Worked All Day At Secret Apache Burial Ground Stripping Them Trucks In 104 Degree Heat. Lol
JIMBO59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #20
Jebb1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr
I'm 6 years into "more stuff" on a 2 year project. I have to stop getting these brainy ideas and just finish what I have.

I told Cal that I was just going to get mine running in flat back!!! I found a "few more things" that needed attention, what can I say??? Now I am out of money and my truck is in more pieces than before!

Old 07-19-2006, 12:45 PM   #21
b.sharp

Hey Jimbo59, Any of those trucks in that grave yard have a deluxe heater box? I need one for my '58. Just the distibution box that sends the heat from the fan to either the vents on top or the floor. If you find one please let me know. You can pm me if you do to discuss the deal.

Thanks a lot man.
B.Sharp
b.sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #22
texascowboy593

Hey b. sharp, send a PM to Jimbo59 that way it gets directly to him. His 'puter will notify him of a new PM. You probably will get a faster answer from him that way...Just a friendly FYI..

Now, "On With the Show"...
I put my new Harbor Freight DA sander to good use yesterday. The top portions of the truck (top of fenders, bed rails, roof etc.) are as cracked up as the ground in a dry lake. It took awhile to get it pretty smooth. I also took off the side mirrors on both doors and filled the holes left behind. those patches still need smoothing out. The interior has for the most part been totally stripped clean. Still need to pull the steering column. I need to get the "smooth dash" panel mig welded in place but I'm not a welder and my pal doesn't have a mig welder and has never mig welded before... The guy he had lined up to come out and do it yesterday fell thru I also figured out I'll need a lower patch panel for the driver side door.

Now, The paint poll...
I have two options about paint that I need opinions on:

1) A friend of mine has connections. He can get me Sherwin Williams auto paint complete with primer, reducer, hardner, clearcoat. Everything included for approx $580-$590. Thats their "top of the line" stuff. Is it a good deal?

2) Im looking into Auto-Air Colors brand paint. It is supposedly a lot more "user friendly". You can pour it directly from the can into your gun. NO mixing required.They have a Pearl Turquoise already mixed and I think that would look pretty sweet. I don't know the cost yet. Hope to call a distrubitor Monday for info. How does this option sound?

Sorry guys no pics of the progress today. Forgot to take camera this time around. Will post pics next weekend for sure!

BTW, I didn't get around to the Blazer tank this time. Hope to pull it out and take initial measurements Saturday! Later, James
Old 07-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #23
JIMBO59
APACHE CLUB

i have always used house of color products with no complaints. a little more expensive but when it comes to paint and getting the right look dont half step. you will regret it later. sigh with age comes wisdom hopefully lol.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #24
texascowboy593

I appreciate that info Jimbo...BTW it was good talking to you on the phone yesterday. I looked on evilbay at your stuff. Nothing I need at this time but if I run into someone who does, I'll send them your way!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #25
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO59
i have always used house of color products with no complaints. a little more expensive but when it comes to paint and getting the right look dont half step. you will regret it later. sigh with age comes wisdom hopefully lol.
Jimbo's right. House of Color is one of the best paints around, PPG is also a good quality paint. When it comes to paint, primer, sealer and plasitic filler don't go cheap, you will regret it later. BTW your project looks to be coming along great!

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 07-24-2006 at 10:34 AM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote