The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Lrall

my 48 s10 swap

where to start....My grandpa has a 48 chevy 5 window that hes had since growing up. And the s10....or s15 actually. GMC s15 high sierra edition, my grandma HATED this truck. So it worked out for the better tearing into both of them. We bought the kit from AD Engineering(1200 bucks but includes a bunch of stuff and QUALITY parts). First, we took the s10 down to bare frame and mounted and TIG welded the mounts on. Next up was the POR 15 then sprayed it black. Then i rebuilt the entire from suspension/brakes apart from new springs and sway bar. We are going with a 2" front and 3" rear drop from belltech using drop spindles and blocks. I work on this project about 3 hours a day in my auto shop class(hs senior). Feel free to ask me any questions that you have. Ill throw up some links to other threads ive had along the way and some progress pics. lancerall.com/chevy is my brothers website and has a few pictures that are constantly being updates, but its a 'fragile' site so please no linking or anything. http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/inde...422#msg249422v
http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/inde...9982#msg259982
the second link is the final frame pics, the suburban you see in the background is the donor for the TBI stuff and 700R4 trans. I didnt include this earlier, 305 SBC with TBI and a 700R4 transmission.
Lrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Re: my 48 s10 swap

It looks like you got a really god start.
Keep us updated.
BTW you can upload pice here directly from your PC if there not to big.
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Lrall

yea...but im lazy and that takes so much time thanks, now were fighting through gettin a single belt system for the sbc we have...ugh
Old 11-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
55dude

KEEP THE PIC'S COMING DUDE! looks great so far. how tall are those mounts from the topside of the frame? which brackets are the ones from AD engineering and how many total do they send you? usually the toughest fart of the swap is trimming the area for the core support, around the steering box and then making extenions for mounting the front bumper. i have looked at a few and after talking to a couple guys came to the conclusion that whatever gets them mounted is correct. list all the "road blocks" so other guys don't read into the swap "bolt on". it's one of the most mis -leading terms selling hot rod products today.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Lrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55dude View Post
KEEP THE PIC'S COMING DUDE! looks great so far. how tall are those mounts from the topside of the frame? which brackets are the ones from AD engineering and how many total do they send you? usually the toughest fart of the swap is trimming the area for the core support, around the steering box and then making extenions for mounting the front bumper. i have looked at a few and after talking to a couple guys came to the conclusion that whatever gets them mounted is correct. list all the "road blocks" so other guys don't read into the swap "bolt on". it's one of the most mis -leading terms selling hot rod products today.
The mounts extend 6" above the frame rail. The mounts are 32.5" apart measured inside to inside(these are the front to back mounts) and 40.5" outside to outside. The left and right mounts are 43 1/8" inside to inside and 50 1/8" outside to outside. With the kit you get (2) radiator support brackets, (4) cab mounts, (2) rear bed mounts, (3) bed supports(they run widthwise), (2) running board supports, Delrin body spacers, and an extremely detailed instruction booklet with pics. I have yet to get to the bumper support and core supports but other than that it really has been 'bolt on'. We tig welded ours on(much much cleaner look). A 'road block' of sorts that isnt mentioned are the s10 body mounts. You reuse them....ours were rusted all to hell and fell to pieces when we unbolted the cab. But, we ordered brand new ones(3" version) for 120 bucks from a CHEVY dealer. You do have to supply the bolts and washers and whatnot. In my experience we had to do some griding for the passenger front mount to fit flush(the stock frame weld BLOWS) but the others sat flush and firm.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Lrall

Not trying to post-whore but i want all the info i have out there. The fuel lines and brake lines that run through the frame were left in(taped up when we painted). With the fuel tank we are using the existing one and are going to run the lines from the drivers side(where the s10 originally mounts) to the pass side where the filler is in the truck bed. i will update as the updates come, monday should bring the cab removal and running boards also....im sick of square nuts....
Old 11-12-2007, 02:31 AM   #7
55dude

i really doubt anyone here is going to call you a "post whore" especially when their are tons of pic's posted along side. when you say s10 body mounts are you are refering to ones attached to the sheetmetal? i don't speak for anybody else but "keep it coming dude! also thanks for the pro's and cons.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Lrall

body mounts meaning the little mushroom shaped 'things'. its hard to explain, they are between the cab and the frame on the s10, they have the piece of rubber then the little 'cap, and the long bolt/washer/nut goes through them
Old 11-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
55dude

i think you are refering to the body bushings. we need a picture infusion!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
Lrall

yea i mean bushings, ill take a pic of the new shinty ones
Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 AM   #11
55dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrall View Post
yea i mean bushings, ill take a pic of the new shinty ones
your killing me kid! need pictures.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 AM   #12
Lrall

Quote:
your killing me kid! need pictures.
alright alright, its 130 in the morning here so no pics now but ill try and get some of those 'shinty' bushings tomorrow haha. Monday should get the cab and running boards off the 48 frame and then starts the 'putting together'
Old 11-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #13
55dude

Quote:
alright alright, its 130 in the morning here so no pics now but ill try and get some of those 'shinty' bushings tomorrow haha. Monday should get the cab and running boards off the 48 frame and then starts the 'putting together'
being your post is what it is you can post pic's 24/7. lol
Old 11-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #14
Lrall

well....i dont know whether to say i love you or hate you, i went down to take pics of the body mounts and noticed that the moron who ordered our new body bushings failed to get us the caps for the bottom too, im SOOO PISSED. He irritated me when he was ordering the stuff(soo slow, ive honestly never dealt with someone like that). And to top it all off i cant find the bucket off all the scrap stuff we took off the s10, which is where the body bushing/caps SHOULD be.....ugh. when my gpa gets back from a volleyball game im gonna have a chat and see if he knows where all this stuff is....grrrr
Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 AM   #15
55dude

ONE ADAM 12 SEE THE MAN! don't hate your cheering section most guys your age think old trucks are not cool! thank god your not building a 4x4 YUGO! pictures keep reading from getting boring. hope nobody threw away your parts, that would suck! been hearing alot about this AD engineering kit and when they ask good money for the kits we are the only ones that can police out the junk!
Old 11-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #16
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Quote:
ONE ADAM 12 SEE THE MAN! don't hate your cheering section most guys your age think old trucks are not cool! thank god your not building a 4x4 YUGO! pictures keep reading from getting boring. hope nobody threw away your parts, that would suck! been hearing alot about this AD engineering kit and when they ask good money for the kits we are the only ones that can police out the junk!
what's the matter with a yugo ....
:Name:  _4x4yugo.jpg
Views: 5101
Size:  4.8 KB

Brian ...

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #17
Lrall

These are the bushing deals i was talking about. The cab floor goes 'under' the top washer. I think were gonna get a wider/bigger washer to put under the existing one for more stability. You can see in the first picture the old rusty looking cap on the bottom? Those are what i need 2 more of. Anyway, i should take pics of this hoist we are using. Its a big ass crane and were puttin a pipe thru the cab then using the lift points to stabilize it(i need to learn to arc weld). But the whole crane is used to take off the cab haha. Should be off tomorrow and il lhave more pics.

Last edited by Lrall; 11-14-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #18
55dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
what's the matter with a yugo ....
:Attachment 314338

Brian ...
WTF! i can't believe it, a 4x4 yugo!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:51 PM   #19
Lrall

Quote:
WTF! i can't believe it, a 4x4 yugo!
focus now.....
Old 11-15-2007, 02:20 AM   #20
55dude

Quote:

These are the bushing deals i was talking about. The cab floor goes 'under' the top washer. I think were gonna get a wider/bigger washer to put under the existing one for more stability. You can see in the first picture the old rusty looking cap on the bottom? Those are what i need 2 more of. Anyway, i should take pics of this hoist we are using. Its a big ass crane and were puttin a pipe thru the cab then using the lift points to stabilize it(i need to learn to arc weld). But the whole crane is used to take off the cab haha. Should be off tomorrow and il lhave more pics.
well were waiting dude! you kinda threw me with the arc welding the crane isn't JB welded is it?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:48 PM   #21
Lrall

Wow, sorry about the delay on the updates fellas. Where to start....Well we got the motor and trans out of the 'burb. I dunno how much ive updated so ill just go over it all haha. Sent the trans down to TBK for a rebuild, and they hooked us UP. We got corvette clutches and a new torque converter along with a complete rebuild for a very reasonable price. The '48 came up to the shop, i started disassembly last week. I got the front clip off then the box and finally the cab. Meanwhile taking a day to powerwash the 'dogsnot' out of it. Also pulled the motor(anyone need a straight 6. Pulling the cab off was an adventure. We took off the steering wheel and used a crane(or whatever) to pull the cab up and over it. Then put the cab onto a cab cart with a piece of plywood underneath to protect. I cut out the corners to make it sit flush, it worked out sweet. We rolled the frame out and its now sitting on the pad while we clean up the cab. Onto this week....the cab was waiting to be stripped, so we pulled and pushed and unwired and broke stuff till it was all clean. AKA got all the wiring undone and disconnected it inside. All that is left is the gauge wiring that connected to the motor that will come out tomorrow because we will be pulling the gauges, radio, and hopefully dash also. After that all the class will come out and were gonna scotch brite/soap/water the firewall and such to clean er up then i think were gonna paint it??? I dont for sure know what the plan is. Ill post up pics here in a mintue
Old 11-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #22
Lrall

Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #23
Lrall

This is the crane and chain we used to hoist the cab off. It sucks when you have to move a frame out when its got a 3 foot tall steering column on it haha. I guess the pics speak for themselves, ill throw more up tomorrow of progress that we make.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #24
Lrall

hope nobody steals it

i hate these damn torque tubes

radiator mounts and running board 'bars'

where it all started....just a dumb highschool kid showin' em whats up
Old 11-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #25
Lrall