The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2003, 08:47 PM   #1
Linus0014

Rear Diff. 12bolt

I have a 72' GMC with a 12 bolt rear diff., 3.73 gearing. I just got it three weeks ago, and when I was changing the oil I could see some scratches like on the diff. gear housing or pumpkin inside. Since that I have driven it once. And when I deccelerate, theres a whine sound to it. Then when it heats up, it sounds even worse, like its going to fall out. I need help deciding what all should be changed and replaced, and what gearing I should go to. Does it have to do with the rear diff. that I cannot start my tranny in first, b/c its a granny tranny, or is it the tranny that needs re-geared. Anyone from So Cal. Area that reccommends a diff shop?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
busterwivell

Welcome to the board. I have relatives that live in Ironwood. Can't help with the diff problem. If you need to replace the tranny, I've got a spare. Someone will be able to handle your diff questions shortly.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 09:23 PM   #3
Linus0014

Hey Busterwivell

Nice to actually know someone from around this area? If you're ever in this area visiting family, stop by and give me some ideas or help. What kind of tranny do you have and how much do you want for it, and what needs to be fixed on it, if any.........thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 09:30 PM   #4
Linus0014

Hey Busterwivell

Nice to actually know someone from around this area? If you're ever in this area visiting family, stop by and give me some ideas or help. What kind of tranny do you have and how much do you want for it, and what needs to be fixed on it, if any.........thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 09:37 PM   #5
knucklebuster
Failure is NOT an option!

Check your pinion nut.I ruined a perfectly good rearend once by just ignoring it.You may have to replace ring and pinion if too far gone.

1969 Chevy Shortbed Fleetside
1969 Camaro ps pb a/c(drove in high school now it's just a yard ornament,but it's next on the list for resto)
1990 Ni$$an hardbody( daily beater that has been really beaten!)
1999 Grand Am GT(wifes ride...never buy a pontiac!!Trust Me)
knucklebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:46 PM   #6
busterwivell

The tranny I have is the granny geared 4 speed my one ton came with. It's fine, but I converted to a 700R4. Actually, i have the complete changeover, crossmember, steering column, clutch, everything........don't knkow what to do with it, it just takes up space in the garage, but I won't throw it out. Somebody will need it and I'll wind up with some garage space again. Don't know if I'll get back to my sister & brother in law's place till New Years, but who knows!
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:28 PM   #7
Linus0014

My Tranny's first gear works fine, but its geared to maybe going from 0mph to 2mph, so I just start out in 2nd. B: You have an extra tranny that is a granny, right? I'm interested in the Crossmember, is the column a tilt?, is it is, I am interested in that too, and whatever else you have for it.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:22 AM   #8
Hooter
My other Love

could be your steady bearing also. does it sound like synchros in your tranny are whining?, if there are marks in your rearend, sounds like some bearings and other parts inside are shot, good luck with your repair
  • 77 fully loaded silverado (back in the backyard for a little while longer)
  • 1980 BMW 320i (back in the garage finally)
  • 1981 f@*d f150 4x4 (Robert red ford) tried to kill me
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike
Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com AC/DC RULES!!!
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote