The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
GMC71V8

Re: Short Bed VS Long Bed Fleet Value

Like I said, I am not thinking investment however it is probably better than the market nowadays! However even awesome projects need limits on money put into it before moving on to a new project. I guess I am more a purist in the 67-72 trucks. I really want to build a truck true to what it was new and only improve things in the name of safety (disk brakes, suspension, ect). So in relationship to short versus long, what would the end value difference be? (thats why I said on an equally optioned truck like a cheyenne)
GMC71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC71V8 View Post
So in relationship to short versus long, what would the end value difference be? (thats why I said on an equally optioned truck like a cheyenne)
I think Barret Jackson has really skewed the perception of what true value is to any 4 wheeled item lately! But seriously, I stick to the "it's only worth what you thinks it's worth, or what someone will give you for it" credo. In other words, value matters only for resale and insurance premiums. What you will actually have in to it will matter how you built it; do everything yourself, or outsource the majority, or half and half. Use OEM parts, or used refurbished parts, or aftermarket parts of varying quality.

I prefer short wheel base trucks, so long wheel base trucks have little value to me. But I know that I can cut one down to make a short wheel base and the value of the truck goes up for me.

My truck is priceless, to me. But you might not think it is worth squat. So value is irrelevant, unless you intend to sell it. I don't think it's possible to determine the difference in perceived value of the two in dollar figures IMHO, as opposed to real estate or something that.

I hope I'm not coming across as a d*ck, but I think you are looking for an answer that would be purely hypothetical, and the answer would solely depend on the person you ask. You could have $15,000 in to the build, but the market will only accept $9500 for it. This guy has a really far out perception of the value of these trucks: http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/925141479.html . Since it had the "the rarest and fastest engine chevy made for these trucks", the 327, and a long bed, it is somehow worth $20,000-$25,000 in his mind.

About the only thing I can say is that short beds or not as common as long beds. But a lot of people hate short beds......

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Someone once said: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder............. "

When it came time, I really-really wanted a short bed stepside, especially with a fender-mount spare, & I wasn't settling for anything less.

So, I maybe paid "too much" in some peoples' mind. Maybe it's even ugly. But not to me. To some, they wouldn't even want it at all, maybe, unless it was a real-steal price-wise.

I'm a licensed real estate appraiser, and though they don't directly relate to each other (the Value of Trucks Vs. Real Estate), there are some basic-basic-basics of the concept of "Value" which relate to ANYTHING.

Hopefully, this isn't a long-winded lecture, but, if you always ask yourself the W questions about anything, then that will help you define the value at any given point in time:

1. "Who it is." --- rich guy, poor guy, famous guy, as either the buyer or seller.

2. "What it is." --- what model of vehicle is it that the buyer most wants.

3. "When it is." --- good times or bad, or the day before (or after) payday.

4. "Where it is." --- worth more in North Vs South, East Vs West, etc.

5. "Why it is." --- are you forced to sell, really want to buy something NOW, etc.

6. "How it is." (how is really just who, misspelled)--- this is a condition-related question --- good, bad, ugly, bent, rusty, blown motor, fully restored, etc. The better, the more $$$$.

& the thing you really have to remember is that something's almost ALWAYS worth more to the seller than it is to the buyer. Until it's yours. Then it changes, & the value instantly goes up somehow.
Attached Images

68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote