The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
slotard

Edelbrock manual choke conversion

I currently have an Edelbrock 1411 on my truck, which came on the truck. 750cfm, electric choke but it's disabled. It's too big for my 350, but runs fine as is. Choke isn't hooked up.

I picked up a 1406 which is the same basic carb but 600cfm which should work a little better... hopefully it'll help with mileage. It was cheap and used, I'm planning on adding a 1" phenolic spacer. I already have a free flowing air filter and have plenty of room to the hood (right now the air filter lid hold-down sticks up probably 3-4" and doesn't hit).

Has anyone converted to manual choke? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...57zRoCEr_w_wcB I see kits like that around but don't know quite how well they work. Would this be the right way to do it? I'd rather have manual than electric, as it doesn't tend to get all that cold here.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: Edelbrock manual choke conversion

As far as I could ever tell, the 1405 (manual choke) and 1406 (elec choke) are mechanically the same, except 1405 has the electric choke bits deleted and adds a holder bracket for the manual choke cable. The manual conversion kits come with the holder, but it attaches differently. It should work even though I've never personally done one myself.

1405 setup... The cable "holder" is the bracket you see next to (and curves below) the fuel inlet. The only other thing you need is just the choke bell crank which will be on your carb. Delete everything else. Simple as it gets. I'd be tempted to find and order just the cable holder bracket you see in the pic. Edelbrock also sells the manual cable separately which is a higher quality piece than the Dorman stuff.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 04-06-2016 at 01:51 PM.
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Just my thoughts....I would just run the elect choke? We do (in my spot in Illinois), need to reset the choke , summer to winter. They do heat up quick/open, as compaired to a Holley elct choke....but if set for the season, I see no issues? If you really want the hand choke (your choice), I would use the Edelbrock parts! Just peel them off the 750 that you have Longhorn Oops, I missed that your 750, as an elect choke model.....all the choke parts will bolt back/forth, between the sizes...
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....

Last edited by crazy longhorn; 04-07-2016 at 09:32 PM. Reason: OOps, i missed that
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:23 AM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

What's a "choke"?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:29 AM   #5
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
What's a "choke"?

Gary
Well that there is the part that "strangles' your engine, whether it needs it or not.....its kind of like dropping "Richard the chicken 's" but down the carb? I think Tom on misfits could explain it more funny than I can! longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 04-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
storm9c1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
Well that there is the part that "strangles' your engine, whether it needs it or not.....its kind of like dropping "Richard the chicken 's" but down the carb? I think Tom on misfits could explain it more funny than I can! longhorn
Off topic but Tom is my favorite character on all of the Discovery channel... He's a riot. Not sure how reliable he is as an employee, but dang he's entertaining and good at what he does when he does it. When he was done on GMG, it wasn't the same until he showed back up on Misfit Garage.

Back on topic, I wasn't going to try to talk the OP into running the electric choke (this issue is like Democrats and Republicans, Eddy or Holley, Ford or Chevy, etc). But if it were me, I'd run the electric choke (transfer it over from the old one), tune it to your climate, and be done with it. But rather he asked how to hook up a manual choke, and I think using the Eddy manual choke parts fits and looks better than the generic kits.
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 04-08-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
Back on topic, I wasn't going to try to talk the OP into running the electric choke (this issue is like Democrats and Republicans, Eddy or Holley, Ford or Chevy, etc). But if it were me, I'd run the electric choke (transfer it over from the old one), tune it to your climate, and be done with it. But rather he asked how to hook up a manual choke, and I think using the Eddy manual choke parts fits and looks better than the generic kits.
I've tried 'em all and I just simply hate using chokes. I have removed every single choke out of every single carbed rig I've ever owned. I just pump the crap out of the pedal, turn the key, and then feather the throttle until I get it to idle.

But out of all the chokes I have used... the simple manual cable actuated choke was the best for me. But Thant's me. Even the chokes with heat risers can go wonky after a bit. The manual choke is either on or off... or half way if you want it to be.

Heck, my 1967 C10 I owned almost 30 years ago had a 292 inline in it. When I'd want to "sound" like it had some rumble to it at a stop light or in a parking lot, I'd close the coke about halfway and make it run rough. Now they have camshafts that do the same thing! HAHA! I ended up swapping it out for a 350/350 and that was a fun truck!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
storm9c1

I live in a cold climate, so I am fine with electric chokes. I set them rich so I get a good startup... one pump and vrooooom. And they open quickly, usually within a minute or so. Tap the gas, choke off, drive away. Always works for me when tuned right the first time (which is easy).

I never did like the heat risers...too many of those seized up or rusted out. Electric chokes are much more easily managed from lots to none if you want. If your climate changes dramatically, the black plastic case is only a quick turn away from being more aggressive to less aggressive, etc.

Not arguing, just providing multiple perspectives. I like manual chokes too. Can't start an old outboard boat motor without one... even in warm weather!!!
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger

Plus others...
Old 04-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

No argument here either. We do have cold temps up here in the far left, but winters are not near as long or as cold as where you are. I did have an electric choke on a Carter AFB back in the early 90's on a 1979 GMC K25 with a 350. I got the carb from a buddy and I rebuilt it. Had the choke with it so I wired it up. I must say it worked pretty darn good. But, me being me, after about 2 years I ended up removing the whole assembly. Butterfly and all.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
Off topic but Tom is my favorite character on all of the Discovery channel... He's a riot. Not sure how reliable he is as an employee, but dang he's entertaining and good at what he does when he does it. When he was done on GMG, it wasn't the same until he showed back up on Misfit Garage.

I have to agree.....run it how you want to Longhorn
Old 03-03-2020, 12:46 AM   #11
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I ordered the Edelbrock bracket.
Edelbrock 1494 BRACKET https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KHCOR32..._UaExEbTZZD0XJ
I already have an original cable and knob.
Looks like it should be an easy change.
I'll post back afterwards with pics and how it went.
Here's the carb I'm rebuilding.
Attached Images

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote