The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
QUINN66GMC

just got a 66 gmc project got some questions

Hi my name is Quinn and i just got my grandpas 66 gmc it is currently a flat bed with a 1 ton rear end in it i want to change it back to a 1/2 ton step side. it has been sitting for a couple years. i was wondering what i should do to it before i start it i was going to start by draining the gas tank and changing the fuel filter but other ideas and things to check would be much appreciated. also i want to sell the flat bed and rear end also the cage that protects the back cab any ideas on a price range for these things. i am 24 and don't know a lot about these older trucks so any tips on this build would be greatly appreciated. sry the pics are upside down i cant get them to post right side up and it needs washed really bad.
Attached Images

QUINN66GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
jdl71

Re: just got a 66 gmc project got some questions

This might help:

As far as selling the bed/headache rack, I don't know. Maybe a couple hundred bucks? Is the floor wood or steel? I'm guessing it doesn't have a bale spike, would be worth more if it did. Put it on Craigslist and see what you can get for it. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
LIVE RUST
1966 Chevy/GMC Mongrel K10

First off nice truck. My truck sat for many years without being run. All I did was pull the plugs, little oil down the cylinders and run it on the starter (with the plugs still out) to get the oil moving around to where it should be. Short runs and let the starter rest. Put the plugs back in and give it a shot. You probably could use a set of points. They're nice and cheap. Another thing that might bust your chops is the carb. Might need some cleaning. One step at a time and dont be afraid to ask questions around here.
LIVE RUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

You're on the right track. Make sure you're getting clean fresh gas to the carb before trying to crank it. It's also a good idea to change the oil, oil filter, and air filter. Pop the distributor cap and see what the cap and points look like. Those are reasonably cheap replacement parts. It might not hurt to pull the spark plugs and spray some WD40 into the cylinders to give it a bit of lube, and replace the plugs also if they look cruddy. If it ran okay a couple of years ago those items should allow it to fire up without causing any damage from sitting around.

And welcome to the forum!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
QUINN66GMC

Thanks for the tips guys im sure u wil be hereing a lot more from over the next couple months
QUINN66GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Welcome to the forum! I agree with above. One thing I did when I first started my suburban was run a separate fuel can directly to the fuel pump because I didn't know the condition of the gas tank. And there may be a lot of bad bad gas and junk in the carb from sitting so don't be surprised if you have to rebuild it either before or very shortly after you get it running.
Posted via Mobile Device
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote