The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #26
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 1972 C30 Dump truck

-
Try turning it over with a fairly long pry bar on the teeth of the flywheel, prying against the block.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:03 PM   #27
Seanext

Went back out after dinner and tried pushing it with the tractor with it in second gear and still no movement. I will try the pry bar on the flywheel as soon as I can. Wife says I want drive two hours to go and pick apples in the mountains tomorrow. Sure is funny how they can read your mind. LOL
Seanext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:20 PM   #28
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanext View Post
Went back out after dinner and tried pushing it with the tractor with it in second gear and still no movement. I will try the pry bar on the flywheel as soon as I can. Wife says I want drive two hours to go and pick apples in the mountains tomorrow. Sure is funny how they can read your mind. LOL

That's funny!

There are enough apples within 5 miles of me to fill your dump truck...... I am going to pick enough tomorrow to make a few gallons of Apple Cider.

LockDoc

-
Old 09-25-2021, 10:23 PM   #29
Seanext

I don't complain to much she make a killer apple sauce
Old 09-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #30
burnin oil

Quote:
You may want to try it in 3rd or 4th gear. With those low gears the tires want to lock up when roll starting in second. Hopefully she cooperates soon. Good luck with the apples. I miss my old neighbors orchard and home made apple cider.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #31
Seanext

SHE IS A RUNNER. It took a little over a week with MM oil in all the cylinders but it finally broke lose today. New plugs, points, condenser, coil and she fired right up with gas in the carb. I could fill up the carb bowl and it would run for about a minute before it ran out of gas. It looked like I was spraying for mosquitos for about 5 minuets but then it cleared up and no smoke at all now. I have couple of bad wires and the cap and rotor need to be replaced but wanted it running first. No gas up to the carb for some reason, gauge shows about a 1/4 tank but could be wrong will get filter, fuel pump, cap, rotor, and wires and get them installed and go from there. While I had it running was able to pull forward about 6 feet and then back up with no issues. Always scary buying something only on what the owners says. This time is seems to have worked out in my favor.
Now the real work begins deciding what to do with all the rust. Found another cab or try and fix what I have. The cab is fixable but the main issue for my skills is the cowl and the rust around the windshield. It may be time to up my skills and try and tackle it will have to see.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #32
Getter-Done

Great News
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #33
BigBird05

Don't run it off of the fuel tank right away. Get some fuel hose an run it off of a can of gas. Since the fuel line is off of the pump get a catch can and drain the tank by putting pressure in the tank thru the gas cap opening.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #34
Seanext

I thought about draining the tank and pulling it out and taking a look at it. I added about two gallons to the tank to see if the needle moved and it did not move and now there is a strong smell on gas in the cab. I didn't see a leak anywhere but could be on the back side. A tank is not that expensive so I might just put a new one in it. Better safe than sorry as the saying goes.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:44 PM   #35
Seanext

Update. I stopped on the project because I was having issues with the title. NC is pretty strict on the title process but got the guy I bought it from to meet me at the DMV and finally got all their paperwork to their liking and $364.90 latter I have a title and tag in hand Friday. I didn't want to spend any more time or money on the truck until I knew for sure it was mine.
Got back on it Sat and four cans of degreaser and pressure washed the engine bay and got 50 years of dirt and grease off the engine. Moved it under it own power from a gas can so I could get started on the necessary repairs. I pulled the tank and it has a patch on the bottom where someone used some kind of epoxy. This is why the gas smell. So a new tank is in order. I pulled the gas line loose at the carb and you guessed it no filter it had been removed at some point. I have ordered filter, fuel pump, hard lines and will get rubber lines local. I then moved to the drive line. Pulled the drive shaft and it is bent pretty bad. No home repairs possible so I will take it to the drive line shop tomorrow. I found three different size bolts holding the drive shaft in. This was a true farm truck what ever they found in the bolt bucket that was close went in. While I was under the truck found a second PTO cable that I guess was broke at sometime, so they just left it and put a new one in.
It is going to take some time to get all the little stuff taken care of just to be able to drive it. Good news brake work great. However all the parking brake stuff has been removed. LOL
Let the fun begin.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:12 AM   #36
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad the titling got straightened out for ya. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more updates on the ole dude.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #37
burnin oil

Title problems can be fun. I went through them with my 57. Luckily my state is easier on old vehicles. Newer ones of higher value have alot more restrictions and hoops to jump through.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #38
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Congrats on some good news and some progress!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #39
Seanext

Seems like in NC the older the vehicle the more strict they are on the title. Anything older than 35years with an out of state title has to be inspected by DMV inspector.

Dropped the drive shaft off at the shop for new barrel for front half, new carrier bearing and u joints. Couldn't tell me what the total would be yet as the carrier bearing they didn't have so they will call with the total. I guess it doesn't matter has to be done. Truck shop is closed on Monday so I will get by there tomorrow and get all the required parts for gas tank. Then go from there.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:38 PM   #40
cornerstone

Good work freeing up the engine. I'm in for all the updates.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #41
Seanext

Well got the drive shaft back Friday. 3 new U joints, new carrier bearing, new tube for the front half on the drive shaft and balanced both sections, $407. All parts are Spicer. That was tough to hear but had to be done. Got it installed and looks good from underneath but no one but me knows. Got all the fuel system parts but decided to not install them until the rust is fixed to make it safe to drive. I cut the door hinges off on the drivers door as they were welded to the door and got after the rust. Really strange but all the cab supports are good but the floor pans are shot. Got most of it cut out on the driver side. There is a little up on the firewall section that I am going to have to patch as well. The Kick panel and the A pillar will have to fixed as well. I have a set of doors that I will have to use to replace the ones I am taking off. No need to brace the cab as it is so out of shape from all the rust. I have another good cab to get all the measurements from to make sure the door dimensions are correct when it goes back together.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #42
Seanext

forgot Pic
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #43
Getter-Done

Great progress.

Flip for ya.
Name:  1873.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  59.1 KB
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:48 AM   #44
Seanext

Well you know what they say about them rabbit holes. It started as an old dump truck bad rust, stuck engine, bent drive shaft, and the list goes on. It was on a farm and I would be willing to bet there are not two screws or bolts that are the same. So I started digging, and it has gone side ways since then but in a good way. Fenders, hood, radiator support, inner fenders were shot, rusted beyond repair. So my thoughts were it would make it easier to change motor mount (both shot) and tune up with all the bad stuff out of the way. I pulled all the rusted stuff off and left the cab. Two hours with the pressure washer and most of the 50 years of grime and grease were gone. Most of the rubber from the motor mounts blew out with the pressure washer. Ok ready to start all the repairs up front. Well the wiring harness is shot more splices and than wire so out it comes. You know I should check the clutch while I am here. Sure enough the clutch adjustment was all the way at the end and the bellhousing mount were shot as well. Ok do I want to get under it and pull the transmission? I don't think so and besides there are only four bolts holding the cab on right and I need to change the cab mounts as they are shot as well, off comes the cab, transmission and bellhousing and clutch. You guess it the flywheel had hot spots and the cam plug was leaking oil everywhere. So I fixed the oil leak, flywheel fixed, new cutch, pressure plate,
throw out bearing, pilot bearing, bellhousing mounts, and cleaned and painted. New fuel pump, water pump, all cleaned and painted. New alternator, starter, and A/C compressor ordered. Got to have A/C in the south. Cab stripped down and rust repair started. Hopefully will at least be able to drive it by the end of the summer if all goes well.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2023, 12:20 AM   #45
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Looking good! Glad to see you on it again. You are going to have a new truck when you are done. At least you will know what you have and you can trust it on the road....

LockDoc

-
Old 05-03-2023, 12:09 PM   #46
72 tigger

You’re doing it right
It’ll take more time and money, but you’ll be glad you did
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:42 PM   #47
Seanext

Replacing motor mounts and adding power steering. Spent all afternoon and still not done. The driver side is a (&(^^( to get the power steering bracket bolted up. Finally got it the motor mount and the bolt that holds the bracket together won't go in. Going to have to pull it all apart again and enlarge the hole for the bolt that goes between the two pieces of the steering bracket. Most of the repairs are simple but some like this one will make you drink more. I bought a bunch of parts Friday and my wife jumped in the Highlander and went shopping for the day with the girls. Guess where all the parts were. So just jumped to something else there is plenty to do anyway.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:40 PM   #48
Seanext

Got all the motor mounts and brackets mounted, fuel line run, all the power steering hoses done. I really feels good putting it back together instead of pulling it apart.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:37 AM   #49
yuccales

Quote:
I bought a bunch of parts Friday and my wife jumped in the Highlander and went shopping for the day with the girls. Guess where all the parts were. So just jumped to something else there is plenty to do anyway.
You know by owning one of these old trucks, we will never say "I'm bored".
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #50
Micmac

I'd rather drive one of my old trucks than my newer one. When I take the '70 C-30 Dump Truck to the land fill it's like I'm putting on a show, people stop what their doing and watch.I am watching your progress and pulling for you. I'm a North Carolina boy from Sparta up in the Maine woods.
1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster with Sidecar.
2012 Indian Chief Serial #002 of 110 built in '12
2016 Indian Chief Roadmaster
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote