The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Paint and Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2020, 01:24 AM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

Where you all get your weld through primer these days?

hi guys I can't leave the house, high risk and all, so where can I get some weld through primer at a reasonable price, I just seriously dropped $28 bucks on Sem 40773 zinc Based Weld Thru Primer on Amazon, granted it's the good stuff
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2020, 02:29 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Where you all get your weld through primer these days?

I was using 3M brand ,about the same price at oreillys

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
Old 04-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #3
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I just bought some from Eastwood but I can't say how good it is yet since it is still sitting on the bench
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I was using 3M brand, about the same price at oreillys
Thanks Greg, I don't feel quite so bad any more! but wow that stuff is expensive
Old 04-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
I just bought some from Eastwood but I can't say how good it is yet since it is still sitting on the bench
Thanks, yeah please let us know how it "performs" if it's the stuff in the picture below, it appears to be half the cost of the SEM so about $15 bucks a can

I don't think I ever used any tools or materials from Eastwood but I've always wanted to try them, not sure what I think of that company, a lot of them seem to sell the same stuff just re branded, for some reason I place them slightly above Harbor Freight in quality in my mind, correct me if I am wrong
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
richard2717

So far "knocks on wood" I have been pleased with everything I have gotten from them. I am still in a learning curve with the powdercoating gun though lol
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
richard2717

And they have discount codes every so often as well
Old 04-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #8
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
So far "knocks on wood" I have been pleased with everything I have gotten from them. I am still in a learning curve with the powdercoating gun though lol
Ooh, do you have a thread on the powdercoating, that's something I've always wanted to get into, even have an old oven saved and sitting at my mamas garage for about 4 years now, ha ha
Old 04-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
Jrainman

I will say I have used a lot of weld through primers at work over the years ,the company I work for has about 10 to 12 crews out in the field, and we all at some point recommended to our shop buyer that U-pol was the best weld through primer, I do not remember what type it was because there are a few , but the can was green and as for price I have no idea , but I remember the 3m stuff was terrible after a couple uses the can would stop spraying and that was every can ,so it was not just getting a bad spay can, because every crew complained about it.and most if not all of the other stuff we used had terrible adhesive qualities, it would scrap off easily .
Old 04-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #10
richard2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
Ooh, do you have a thread on the powdercoating, that's something I've always wanted to get into, even have an old oven saved and sitting at my mamas garage for about 4 years now, ha ha
I would recommend getting your advise on powder coating from others.
I have been just watching videos and reading up on it. The only thing I can tell you for sure is if you muff up it is a miserable b**** to get blasted back off
Old 04-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
I will say I have used a lot of weld through primers at work over the years ,the company I work for has about 10 to 12 crews out in the field, and we all at some point recommended to our shop buyer that U-pol was the best weld through primer, I do not remember what type it was because there are a few , but the can was green and as for price I have no idea , but I remember the 3m stuff was terrible after a couple uses the can would stop spraying and that was every can ,so it was not just getting a bad spay can, because every crew complained about it.and most if not all of the other stuff we used had terrible adhesive qualities, it would scrap off easily .
Thank you great feedback, I have noticed that too with some spray can paint and primer, there's more to it than how well it covers or how well it holds up, there's nothing more annoying then spraying half the can, putting it on a shelf for a couple hours and then going to use it again and nothing comes out (yes I know about the spray it out till it comes out clear upside down trick, it does not work on all nozzles by the way) also those kill your finger sharp nozzles are annoying as well [yes I am a wimp and yes I do own a plastic clip on trigger which is never to be found when you need it, ha ha]

not weld through primer, but here is a link to an excellent spray paint primer with a great nozzle and good coverage Rust-Oleum 249330 Automotive Rusty Metal Primer Spray Paint for $9 bucks so about twice the cost of others but worth it, comes in light gray too
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #12
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
I will say I have used a lot of weld through primers at work over the years ,the company I work for has about 10 to 12 crews out in the field, and we all at some point recommended to our shop buyer that U-pol was the best weld through primer, I do not remember what type it was because there are a few , but the can was green and as for price I have no idea ...
was this it?
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Copied from the H.A.M.B.

Weld thru primer is used in modern collision repair to replace the zinc coating imbedded in modern sheet metal, only when it is ground off during the repair. It was designed to be used ONLY on bare metal mating flanges. And YES you weld right through it. Absolutely NOT for use on the inside of enclosed panels.

It has very poor adhesion properties. It WILL fail and peel if used on surfaces other than the inside flanges in a pinch weld. It's one of the most misunderstood, and misused products in the industry. Some manufactures do not even allow it in their repair procedures at all.

It works by galvanic corrosion. The zinc or copper corrodes and forms a "seal" against further corrosion, rather than breaking down like steel corrosion. When a plug weld is made on a pinch type flange the primer liquefies and then has some ability to "wick" back in around the weld. It's a "better than nothing" product. The joint still must be sealed completely after welding or it will still corrode. It's just a PART of the corrosion protection process used in modern collision

That said, I use it in both modern collision and restoration, but only where its "pinched"
between two pieces of steel. I prefer the copper from UPOL. I think it has less effect on the weld, than the zink. Tests I've read claim both are about the same in their "limited" corrosion protection.

And Another:

Tin bender is on the money, ICAR is in flux about both though as its been suggested they actually cause corrosion.

There is a new product from Valveoline which you spray on the edge of the pieces of metal after welding the bare metal. It creeps in between the pieces & surrounds the weld with a polymer which blocks moisture. They have a few products in that line. When I took the class for ultra high tensile strenth steel repairs they mentioned that it may be the future type of product to replace copper/zinc weld through primers.
we tried it at our shop but the manager was to cheap to purchase. Hes waiting for it to be mandated, like most everything else.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
Old 04-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #14
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Copied from the H.A.M.B.
... It WILL fail and peel if used on surfaces other than the inside flanges in a pinch weld...

That said, I use it in both modern collision and restoration, but only where its "pinched" between two pieces of steel...

LockDoc
Would you consider welding on angle iron that runs the length of a 1954 truck bed on either side at the bottom just above the wood planks a pinch weld? I plan on drilling holes in my angle iron every 6 inches then mimicking spot welds (aka rosettes) in those holes to the bed sides using my MIG. I plan on using weld through primer on the back of each angle iron and along that line on either bed side.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
Would you consider welding on angle iron that runs the length of a 1954 truck bed on either side at the bottom just above the wood planks a pinch weld? I plan on drilling holes in my angle iron every 6 inches then mimicking spot welds (aka rosettes) in those holes to the bed sides using my MIG. I plan on using weld through primer on the back of each angle iron and along that line on either bed side.

I wouldn't call that a pinch weld. If you are going to drill holes for the spots I think I would just use something like Rustoleum primer between the pieces of metal. Maybe someone else will chime in on this for more info.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
Old 04-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #16
Steeveedee

I got nothing for that bed repair, but I'd only recommend that anyone welding through zinc ought to be careful about fumes. I know people who have died from welding galvanized pipe. I realize that the spray zinc is probably a small problem, but that stuff is cumulative.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA