The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 73-87

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
ellisjay2

Same quadrajet instead of double pumper holley???

Im throwing this into my work truck just for basic use non hot rodding, Old motor is out, have another now. The person I got used engine from gave me the holley 600 or 750 not sure which with it, but I know thats one for high performance versus daily normal driving. Couldnt I just go back with my old quadrajet 4 barrel, and buy an adapter to make it fit on the edlebrock intake?? Intake is a 2701 performer esp. Im not too familiar with holleys.

In the pics I just have the carbs laying on top of manifold, even with holley there was a vacuum port at back of intake that would get in the way, unless space adapter raises carb high enough, ill get a pic of it....sorry
I was trying to add my next question under images but having a problem, these headers, are they just shorty headers? i have to order new gaskets but wasnt sure what kind they were, also on the new ( red pulleys fan in bottom pic), the bracket for alt and power steering are wider than my original setup, as I have plenty of space under hood, would it matter to change it to original, alt is mounted straight to block with small bracket, power steering kinda of the same.....
Attached Images

86 gmc 2500 longbed Carb 5.7, rwd,
400 tranny.

Last edited by ellisjay2; 07-28-2021 at 06:22 PM.
ellisjay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:15 PM   #2
crossfire84

Re: Same quadrajet instead of double pumper holley???

This much I can say, the Q-jet will be a pita to properly jet to your new engine. You almost need a master’s degree. I pulled my Q-jet off and put my old 4150 on with a 1” spacer what difference, I also put an electric choke kit on it and new jets and power valves , so easy to tune. So this is just my 2cents, good luck!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #3
Getter-Done

I would give that Quadrajet a try.
You will only be out the cost of a spacer an gaskets.

Make sure both spacer gaskets cover ( fully ).
The intake to spacer gasket and the carb to spacer gasket should have 100% coverage with no gaps or you will have a vaccum leak.

Then if Quadrajet doesn't run good,Try the Holley it may run okay?

JMHO

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:01 PM   #4
ellisjay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
This much I can say, the Q-jet will be a pita to properly jet to your new engine. You almost need a master’s degree. I pulled my Q-jet off and put my old 4150 on with a 1” spacer what difference, I also put an electric choke kit on it and new jets and power valves , so easy to tune. So this is just my 2cents, good luck!
It's a used engine that was pulled

400 tranny.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:28 AM   #5
ellisjay2

From what I found the adapter for the quadrajet is from Mr gasket....Is this the right part number 1932?? If I go with Holley I can grab same day from summit here in ga....but they have their own part number from others retailers.....I'm wanted to grab both for the time being..... other than AutoZone where is am the best place to get original parts for 70s block, I need a dipstick, and few other grabs.

400 tranny.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:15 PM   #6
LT7A

You have probably solved this by now, and I'm interested in the outcome. For future reference, things like this are probably better posted over in the squarebody area. I don't think the tech area gets much traffic.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 02:22 PM   #7
Pontiac1976

Quote:
From what I found the adapter for the quadrajet is from Mr gasket....Is this the right part number 1932?? If I go with Holley I can grab same day from summit here in ga....but they have their own part number from others retailers.....I'm wanted to grab both for the time being..... other than AutoZone where is am the best place to get original parts for 70s block, I need a dipstick, and few other grabs.
Q-jet is a Sped Bore. I do not have time to check the #'s right now. But you need a square Holley intake to Q-jet is a Sped Bore. spacer adapter Mr gasket made them summit should be able to help you call them tell them you have EPS intake want to mount a Q-jet what there part # for that spacer adapter.
Holley own's Mr Gasket can call Holley ask them too.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote