The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
eric8

Part numbers for color keyed parts

Did GM have separate part numbers for the hard plastic color keyed seatbelt parts? Specifically, the shoulder belt anchor bolt covers seen here. If so, what is the part number for a 1977 Buckskin color code? Or were these all one part number and dyed at the factory? If so, what is the GM part number for the replacement in black?
Attached Images

eric8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Part numbers for color keyed parts

Separate part number for each color part.

The way GM does it is that you release one part number, called the "Less Finish" part, that contains the shape and all the geometry. Then you release separate part numbers for each of the colors.

So:

L/F = 12345678
Red = 12345679
Blue = 12345680
Gray = 12345681

etc.

No parts were dyed in the vehicle assembly plant. Ain't nobody got time fo dat. (Line rate at Flint was 60 jobs/hour, or one complete vehicle every minute).

One other issue here is that the cover is probably a detail part of a the larger seatbelt assembly. So from a production standpoint the operator would select the correct color seat belts with the ring, cover, retractor and retractor cover already attached.

The separate part might have been released as a service part.

Sadly, I no longer have access to any of the part databases and do not have the part number for the buckskin part.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-14-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
eric8

Thank you for the info Keith! Does anyone have the part number for the base part?
Old 09-14-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
TKCR

I can do a set of new aftermarket caps. They come black, but then you have to dye them, and I already have that color dye. It’s almost impossible to find new or good caps, so the new aftermarket ones will suffice. It’s what I do when I restore belts for people. I usually reuse the old ones and just freshen them up. But this style you have, the bigger anchor cap. Most of them I replace with new. Once any part of it is broke, they can’t be used, they won’t stay set. Here is some that I did in the Buckskin color. As you can see, his were MIA, so the new black part is what I used.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:59 PM   #5
eric8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I can do a set of new aftermarket caps. They come black, but then you have to dye them, and I already have that color dye. It’s almost impossible to find new or good caps, so the new aftermarket ones will suffice. It’s what I do when I restore belts for people. I usually reuse the old ones and just freshen them up. But this style you have, the bigger anchor cap. Most of them I replace with new. Once any part of it is broke, they can’t be used, they won’t stay set. Here is some that I did in the Buckskin color. As you can see, his were MIA, so the new black part is what I used.
Those look amazing! Great job! 👏🏻
Old 09-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8 View Post
Those look amazing! Great job! 👏🏻
Thanks! If you decide to go that route, like is said, I can do a set for you. I already have the Buckskin Dye, the correct Buckskin color. And I have some new anchor covers. I always have a few on hand, since I need them when I restore seatbelts.
Just so your aware, the SEM Buckskin is not the right shade.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote