The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #26
72c20customcamper

Re: The penalty is “mandatory revocation of license” for at least a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE View Post
I hate seeing new laws passed like this one. It would be easier for me to swallow if it were written against "restricted visibility"... maybe. I think some places already have laws on the books for that.
Most states do . NY has it as does SD I know because a friend got a ticket for stuff hanging from the rear view at Sturgis in his truck. They also will ticket you if you don’t put both feet down at a stop . Even if you sit there waiting for traffic with one foot down as soon as you start off you get an improper stop .. ask me how I know
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:47 AM   #27
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Just stick your head out the side window like a dog and your line of sight returns. Problem solved
Done that many times with a fogged or frosted windshield. Problem is, the right hand turns are a complete gamble....
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #28
special-K
Special Order

It's just like no hand held device laws. There were already distracted driving and contributory negligence laws that simply needed to be enforced. The problem with using cell phones while driving is about what your mind is doing not your hands. I can drive with one hand whether it's drinking coffee or talking on a phone. The fool who puts their conversation ahead of driving focus can still do that while using both hands to drive*. They keep making specific laws rather than enforce what's already there.

* And now we have the phone stuck to the windshield using the navigation app.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #29

This law has been coming here. It started out that they were not that extreme of a drop. Then it got worse. The drop got more and people really started to notice. In truth, it’s unsafe. I don’t like the government making more laws but most here saw this train wreck coming.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Hey, this is just NC, right? I can still build one in Maryland, right?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-11-2021, 07:07 PM   #31
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE View Post
I hate seeing new laws passed like this one. It would be easier for me to swallow if it were written against "restricted visibility"... maybe. I think some places already have laws on the books for that.
Yes, but this is typical of the government. Instead of pointing out the several reasons that this is already illegal and unsafe, they make a new law about it specifically....then later apply that to something else. "The law of unintended consequences"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:27 PM   #32
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Yes, but this is typical of the government. Instead of pointing out the several reasons that this is already illegal and unsafe, they make a new law about it specifically....then later apply that to something else. "The law of unintended consequences"
How do you know that it's unintended?

<removes foil hat>

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #33
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
How do you know that it's unintended?

<removes foil hat>
Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but there is a difference between unintended and unspecified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Most states do . NY has it as does SD I know because a friend got a ticket for stuff hanging from the rear view at Sturgis in his truck. They also will ticket you if you don’t put both feet down at a stop . Even if you sit there waiting for traffic with one foot down as soon as you start off you get an improper stop .. ask me how I know
That's just insane. Do they somehow think that you are "less in control" by only putting one foot down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:14 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

The title of this thread keeps grinding on me. Seems like awfully harsh punishment for a vehicle modification violation. Attack the vehicle not the driver. The driver can be a safe driver in a safe vehicle. There is no moving violation here. Why can't they drive something else? The truck can be ordered off the road immediately. It can be impounded.

Tim

Old 09-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #35
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The title of this thread keeps grinding on me. Seems like awfully harsh punishment for a vehicle modification violation. Attack the vehicle not the driver. The driver can be a safe driver in a safe vehicle. There is no moving violation here. Why can't they drive something else? The truck can be ordered off the road immediately. It can be impounded.
Does seem harsh . They may have made it a mover from the start ,NY started seat belts and phone violation as no points just a fine more or less an equipment violation now they carry points fines and if you get more than 3 tickets involving a phone your license gets suspended.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #36
geunther

Well holy s$%t. That is a thing? I saw something on youtube and just thought they were putting on a lift kit and just hadn't done the rear yet. I am sitting here with a loss of words.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:47 AM   #37
special-K
Special Order

Whoever said these trucks are trophy truck inspired was taking a W.A.G. The only similarity between the two is the rear sits lower than the front. The difference in height on either type truck is not even similar. The trophy trucks sit how they do for obvious reasons. If not obvious at first, watch then run a minute. The Squatters sit how they do for obvious WTF??? I really don't know. Stylin', right? A cruisin' machine, certainly no hi-performance ques here. They don't run tires and wheels like the trophy trucks, no stickers, roll cage (or just a bar). There are donk cars and there are half-ass trucks

Tim

Old 10-09-2021, 07:36 AM   #38
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Ocean City endless summer cruise is taking it pretty serious as well. will cost him a little over a grand in impound fees to get it out

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

There are both bumper height laws for high and low in most states. Same type of law but already in place. But at least it's against the vehicle not the owner. It's a a fixit ticket. Change it or registration is suspended

Tim

Old 10-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #40
BASE

Unhappy Re: The penalty is “mandatory revocation of license” for at least a year.

Yeah I'd think bumper height, headlights too high, obstructed vision or something already on the books would be enough to address the safety issues here. As much as I despise this trend, if it's really not creating a safety hazard then it shouldn't matter, if it is then get 'em for that.

I just got a pair of new front springs from ORD that look to be about 3" higher than what I wanted. I'm told they will settle in but not looking forward to driving around with the front sitting up higher for any length of time.
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:20 PM   #41
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
There are both bumper height laws for high and low in most states. Same type of law but already in place. But at least it's against the vehicle not the owner. It's a a fixit ticket. Change it or registration is suspended
yea but how often do you get a ticket for both in the same stop lol
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:04 PM   #42
special-K
Special Order

Yeah. I got a ticket for flaps and flares plus less than 180 degrees surrounding the tires one night in Frederick (K/20).

But your post makes the point here. That stupid thing got dragged off the street without a specific law against this "over the top style' of mod (or whatever... mistake? Misguided youth? Too much TV? Ritalin?...???

Tim

Old 10-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #43
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Yeah. I got a ticket for flaps and flares plus less than 180 degrees surrounding the tires one night in Frederick (K/20).
What a law breaking rebel you are.

I am too. I don't have front license plates on 3 of my cars.

What happened to the good old days when the cops would just tell you to pour out your beer and go home?

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #44
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
What happened to the good old days when the cops would just tell you to pour out your beer and go home?
Having been in that business for a long time, it all came to a screeching halt with the advent of body cameras. All discretion was removed when those came about. Big brother was looking at all our videos, so all of us in the field realized there were going to be consequences if we did something that wasn't in the "letter of the law." It came down to this, either make the enforcement stop/contact (write the ticket or make the arrest) or don't do one at all, just pass it by. Sad but true.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #45
va72longhorn

I’d love to have a truck set up like that! Think of how easy you could unload firewood and hay!
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #46
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Having been in that business for a long time, it all came to a screeching halt with the advent of body cameras. All discretion was removed when those came about. Big brother was looking at all our videos, so all of us in the field realized there were going to be consequences if we did something that wasn't in the "letter of the law." It came down to this, either make the enforcement stop/contact (write the ticket or make the arrest) or don't do one at all, just pass it by. Sad but true.
I totally get that. I had the same thing when I disconnected electricity for non payment. I used to cut them some slack. Once I was hooked into the computer system the company knew exactly where I was and what order I was working. And the policy was "No breaks, you are there to cut the lights" Do it.

Easier said than done. I still gave some people breaks. If they looked like they were truly having a rough time and not just trying to BS me. Things like women with kids whose husband took off and took the paycheck with him. Let the company say what they will to me. I didn't have the heart to do it.
I'm sure with you being in law enforcement you know how to read people.

Some jobs teach you how to know when someone is telling you a lie.

Women in bars seem to know this. At least they always did when I was trying to pick them up.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #47
Rickysnickers

Yes, Paul, you certainly do learn how to read people. I was in the waning years of my "career" when the cameras came about. I didn't really care what the bosses thought of what I did, or did not do. I still did the right thing, at least what I thought was right. If that meant using the "spirit of the law" then so be it. I gave lots of breaks to people as well. I wasn't one of those who lived and breathed the job, nor did I thrive on any kind of power trip. I hated those guys, and there were not many of them. Us old guys would tell them in no uncertain terms to knock that crap off, and we didn't use such nice language to them that either
Old 10-11-2021, 08:48 PM   #48
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Yes, Paul, you certainly do learn how to read people. I was in the waning years of my "career" when the cameras came about. I didn't really care what the bosses thought of what I did, or did not do. I still did the right thing, at least what I thought was right. If that meant using the "spirit of the law" then so be it. I gave lots of breaks to people as well. I wasn't one of those who lived and breathed the job, nor did I thrive on any kind of power trip. I hated those guys, and there were not many of them. Us old guys would tell them in no uncertain terms to knock that crap off, and we didn't use such nice language to them that either
That is one of the great things about being one of the "Old Guys' They don't mess with you. My last few years I would walk out of meetings, I wouldn't answer the phone, I would smoke in my truck right in front of management (Which was a big no no) No one ever said a word. I think that they thought that I had gone off the rails. But in truth. I was just an unhappy guy. Tired of the nonsense. I had been there 36 years and didn't like what I was seeing.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #49
Rickysnickers

Yep, I called it quits at 31 years. I think the timing was pretty good. I left before the pandemic started and before all the ridiculous riots began. I do miss wearing my uniform though. I complained a lot about my job, but never about wearing my uniform. It was a sense of pride for me and now that those days have passed, I miss them that much more....
Old 10-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #50
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Yep, I called it quits at 31 years. I think the timing was pretty good. I left before the pandemic started and before all the ridiculous riots began. I do miss wearing my uniform though. I complained a lot about my job, but never about wearing my uniform. It was a sense of pride for me and now that those days have passed, I miss them that much more....
I can imagine your sense of pride. Being a cop is a tough job. I couldn't do it. Dealing with all that madness. You have my respect.

My realtor is a retired police captain. He told me that when he first saw me he wondered if he had arrested me in the past. He's a funny guy.

Another story is when my neighbors got in a fight with each other. A real knock down drag out fight. They ended up rolling around in my front yard. My wife called the Sheriff. I wasn't home.

So two Sheriffs show up. A young guy and an old guy. The neighbors are gone by then.

The young guy parks under a big tree in the front yard. My wife told him that he probably should move his car because the neighbor threw a golf club at the other and it's in the tree.

The young guy gets snotty and says he's not going to move his car. The old guy says nothing.

Then the golf club fell out of the tree and hit the car and the young guy was pissed.

The old guy just chuckled and asked him "How are you going to write that up'. She told you to move the car.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.