The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Thefojizzle@me.com

Call me crazy!

So a few months ago I sold my 04 silverado with 70k miles on it (daily driver) to buy myself my beautiful '65 C10. Been doing some work to it and it's coming along. I have now been driving her to work everyday and I'm finding that I'm really missing the comfort of my newer truck. A 3rd car to commute just isn't an option for us. I am really starting to think of getting rid of my Betty and just getting a newer truck again! Part of it is the impatience of getting the stuff done to my 65 that I want and part of me thinks I'll never be able to get to drive as comfortable and as nice as a newer truck. I come on here and see what you guys have done to some of your rides and it gives me both hope and depresses me all at the same time. I really need to decide what to do and weight out my pros and cons and I figured I'd ask all of you. Help me out guys!!
Please?!!!!
My truck is 65 LB fleet side
350 rebuilt-40k miles
700r trans
Power steering
Power-disk brakes
So far I've swapped out the door stops with the jeep ones to make it nicer.
Cut out all the cancer and have re welded steal to replace it.
Swapped ugly farm rims with glossy black powder coated smoothies, new beauty rings, and original style hubcaps. Got thin white walls for her feet.
I bought her a new chrome bumper, 2" drop spring/shrinks for front and 4" drop springs/shocks/shock relocators for rear-yet to be installed.
Got her rear adjustable traction bar and front sway bar.
Got her a 9+3 "Rebel Wire" wiring harness to install on her as well.
So that's what I've done in the last 3 months I've owned her. Worried about the rain when that comes. Old school windshield wipers are pathetic, the holes on the floor for cutting the rust out make it absolutely freezing in the mornings.....so on, and so on. I know...I sound like a whiny b@?ch but those are my thoughts. Thanks in advance guys!
Thefojizzle@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Call me crazy!

Dude, we have almost all been through the whole " God did I really do this" thought pattern.

I would take me a weeks vacation and get the patches fixed and get the heater working. with the newer truck, it was nice to jump in a go, but with your current truck, months down the road you will be pleased to say you did the work. chin up my friend, you will get her there soon enough.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Thefojizzle@me.com

Really? I thought I was te only one. Felt like a chump for feeling that way. Makes it harder that I'm having to buy a lot o the tools and having to learn since I've never down this before. Meanwhile, driving it everyday. Them just when I think I've done something cool to it I see someone on here who has taken everything down to the frame, sandblasted, powder coated everything and put it all back together with pics on their build thread and I feel overwhelmed because I wanna do that too!!!! Thanks for the reply. Makes me feel like I'm not alone!
Old 11-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Nope, you are NOWHERE near alone!! Good luck, and post some pics!!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Thefojizzle@me.com

How it looked when I bought it
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Thefojizzle@me.com

Where I'm at with her now
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Nice ride!!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Thefojizzle@me.com

Another one
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Thefojizzle@me.com

Thanks man!
Old 11-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
NEWFISHER

Looking good! Can we get a better pic of the wheel tire combo? What caps?
You are not alone...I drive a 50 Suburban every day until I bought the 65 to fix up for the wife. I'm driving it now as I do repairs. People ask why I drive a 60's truck everyday and my response is " because its 15 years newer than the one I normally drive" !
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
clemdaddy

most guys here have a daily driver that is comfortable and they keep their project truck in the garage or out back under tarps. drive the classic on nice days or to shows. get to work in the dependable one. you said that a 3rd vehicle for work wasn't an option and thats the rub. the only way to total happiness is with a say, late nineties silverado for work and parts running. pretty cheap ride nowadays. plus, keep your beauty out back and make all the upgrades you dream about, slowly as you can afford it. makes for a perfect world... or at least, thats how i see it. keep your old truck... its a nice one.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Thefojizzle@me.com

Thanks guys. I hear ya. My friend told me
"Keep the classic. You can always get a newer car. It'll be easier to sell your wife on the fact that u need a newer car in a few years, but if u get rid of the classic it'll be a lot harder to get another one as nice later"
Sounded good. That guy is not into cars at all tho. Hard to take advise from someone who doesn't care and drives a two week old crew cab!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
Thefojizzle@me.com

Sure! Wheel is 15x8 all the way around. 6 lug stock. Chevy bow tie dog dishes from "the truck shop" in orange California and beauty rings. Wheels are......I know I know, hankooks! Hankook-optimo H724 p235/75/r15
They looked good and were cheap compared to some of the other white walls. Been happy with them so far. Got them locally on sale at Americas discount tire store for $80 a piece!
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
Thefojizzle@me.com

My next plan for her was to lower her next week. I think the 2" front and 4" drop rear will be enough to level her out and give her a good stance while still being able to haul? Right? I was gonna pull the bed off to do that. While with it off I figured I would pressure wash the frame and rattle can it for now. Just to tidy up and prevent rusting somewhat without going crazy. While I had the bed off I thought of strapping in the 69 camaro gas tank guys have done here to eventually move the tank out of the cab.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
Thefojizzle@me.com

Domino effect!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
Thefojizzle@me.com

I have had the wirin harness for two months now and am very intimidated to start it an not be able to drive to work cause I didn't do it right!! Never done anything like that before!!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
glos55

In todays world of commuting to and from work you need a new/newer vehicle for sure! Just the other day coming home was like Nascar! People in front of me slamming on their brakes and the guy behind me almost touching my rear bumper and lets not forget about the person beside me sending a text through their steering wheel. I would not want to be in any of my classics!! If you have to sell your 65 I get it! I'll support your decision either way.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
Thefojizzle@me.com

The hard part was that I waited for years to be able to do this. I finally found one that had te exact drive train I wanted. All the "hard stuff" was done, and done well. To get rid of it is tough. I bought this from the original owner, now 75. He had the original manual, protecto plate, and even the temporary registration from the dealer in 65 that he gave me! It still has the tape from them sticking it on the window!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
ACK

Prior to last year, I've never worked on a car before. Within six months of owning my C10 I had to replace the flexplate, starter, engine mounts, reposition the cross member for the trans, create an emergency brake. I'd sit there and go "what the frick did I get myself into?" Thoughts of just getting rid of the truck constantly ran through my head.

Now she's my daily driver and you know what, I'll find myself taking the long way home because I so enjoy driving that truck. And when the Allman Brothers come on the radio ... everything just seems right. I don't know what it is, but what it lacks in modern convenience, it makes up in character. That's all I need.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #20
jtrichard

find some kind of beater to drive to work and get your dream built the way you want it..if you get rid of her you will NEVER live it down ...how many people looked at your old ride and said wow or even noticed it?? i bet heads turn and they say look at that when you drive a 65???? Do you notice the 2012 what ever cookie cutter driving down the street next to you or do you see the vintage what ever driving half a mile ahead of you and say wow.... HUMMM ???? think about that..
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
Thefojizzle@me.com

True and true! Thanks JT and ACK.
ACK sounds like you are like me. I get thumbs up on this thing every time I drive it
Old 11-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
rambler
MOVE OVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefojizzle@me.com View Post
Thanks guys. I hear ya. My friend told me
"Keep the classic. You can always get a newer car.[B] It'll be easier to sell your wife [/B
why did I read this quote this way???

lol.. nice looking truck, the only issue with the older trucks in winter is the defrost is usually not as good as newer ones.. I could live with everything else..
Old 11-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #23
CMFT

I agree with most in that you'd kill yourself with regret for getting rid of a truck you have put blood, sweat and tears into. Years ago I bought a 10-yr old Honda Civic to commute with, just to avoid putting heavy mileage on a newer truck I had. I bought it for $2800, drove it for 2 years, sold it for $2700. There are cheap and reliable options out there for you to stay in this truck.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #24
FetchMeAPepsi

I'm sure everyone will have their opinion here but here's mine -

If you really love it hush up and get to work! You don't need no sissy post 70's truck! We all whine about our babies from time to time, but you know what? We all whine about our wives too and guess who's warm bum we're snuggled up next to every night? Happily.

First, I'd plug the dang holes. It's winter time and if you're like me you don't move much after it drops below 60 degrees. I'd pull it in the garage, slap some tack welds on the sheetmetal you bought in one or two places, caulk it and call it a day till spring. Then I'd rip it all off in 2 seconds and get started fixing it right.

If the heater's on the fritz (and I had no other ride at ALL) I'd pull the heater core and figure out what's going on there, assuming it's blowing.

As for the wipers, yeah they're slower than what you're used to. Allow extra drive time when it's raining and don't out run them.

Other than that I'd hunker down and pull through the winter, then get back on it in spring. Take the pressure off by quick-fixing things now to get you through what the experts are saying is going to be an nasty, awful winter. And be safe!

That's my 2 cents. But I don't know anything
I was exactly where you are a year ago.

Good luck!

EDIT: I forgot to add this up front. If for some reason you don't absolutely LOVE her, let her go to someone that will and get a newer one. You can pick up a 70's truck later on maybe, but you won't make yourself miserable for nothing. Remember what I said though, you have to LOVE her to keep her, because just like a woman she'll step on your toes from time to time just to test your mettle
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; 11-12-2013 at 04:32 PM.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
dfusision001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack View Post
prior to last year, i've never worked on a car before. Within six months of owning my c10 i had to replace the flexplate, starter, engine mounts, reposition the cross member for the trans, create an emergency brake. I'd sit there and go "what the frick did i get myself into?" thoughts of just getting rid of the truck constantly ran through my head.

Now she's my daily driver and you know what, i'll find myself taking the long way home because i so enjoy driving that truck. And when the allman brothers come on the radio ... Everything just seems right. I don't know what it is, but what it lacks in modern convenience, it makes up in character. That's all i need.
this right here!!!!
dfusision001 is offline   Reply With Quote