The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #126
Jahloha

Re: For Gramps (1970 C20 RestoMod)

These past two weeks have been difficult, but awesome. I had the chance to head back to California for two week to meet up with my Hawaii family and also my family in SoCal. A few thoughts/highlights from the trip:

-I also had the opportunity to spend about 3 hours with Gramps one on one, looking through all the pics of the build and talking about each step. To see his reaction and approval of what I have been doing is why I am doing this. Bottom line of my visit with his is that seeing me work on his old truck and want to restore it because it was his, gives him pride. And that makes me extremely happy.

-the weather was awesome and nearly everywhere we went, I saw some sort of classic cursing the streets. Year round 70s weather is amazing, I really missed it. Best car I saw was this 50s Ford Pickup that is in final stages of restoration.
Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  46.5 KB
Name:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  102.9 KB
This is a close up of his colored Raptor Liner bed coating. I have though about possibly doing this in my build. He gave it high reviews, seeing as his truck will be a show truck, I do not see his bed being used often, in order to see wear and tear. But, esthetically it was awesome.
Name:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  55.0 KB
Old BelAir
Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  41.7 KB
Although I wouldn't restore a VW bus, I have always loved the lines and two tones on these:
Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  52.4 KB

It was a great trip. If I had scheduled our days better, I would have swung by CPP and tried to link up with some of our members, but family time was definitely the main focus. Next time for sure, I will hit some of you up to swing by and take a look at your trucks.

I am ready to get back on the grind with the truck and have switched by frame painting plans and will be going with MasterSeries Coatings. I am ordering today and will do a write up once completed.

Mahalo

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #127
knomadd

Sounds like you had a nice trip. Glad you enjoyed your time with family. That time is always important, especially when you live far away and don't have the opportunity to just drop in when you feel like it.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #128
hpcgmc

I've been watching this thread with interest. I'm in the process of doing the same thing - cleaning and repainting the engine compartment frame rails and front suspension while the engine is out. What made you choose Masterseries over KBS and POR15?

Are you getting every little bit of paint off and starting with bare metal? I'm not sure I can get into all the nooks and crannies, since I've still got the fenders on, plus I haven't removed the brake and fuel lines running along the frame.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #129
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Glad your trip was good. But having your cramps see the pics and approve...priceless. ..Congratulations and keep it up!!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #130
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Sounds like you had a nice trip. Glad you enjoyed your time with family. That time is always important, especially when you live far away and don't have the opportunity to just drop in when you feel like it.
Absolutely agree bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcgmc View Post
I've been watching this thread with interest. I'm in the process of doing the same thing - cleaning and repainting the engine compartment frame rails and front suspension while the engine is out. What made you choose Masterseries over KBS and POR15?

Are you getting every little bit of paint off and starting with bare metal? I'm not sure I can get into all the nooks and crannies, since I've still got the fenders on, plus I haven't removed the brake and fuel lines running along the frame.
HP, we need to motivate each other! Always cool to see people in the similar stage as your own build. Essentially I debated on what product to buy for nearly 6 weeks; considering everything from Rustoleum to Powdercoat. I decided that I wanted to at least dedicate some money to phase in my build. So after talking with some trusted forum members and giving the owner of MS a call, I decided to take the plunge.

In regards to prepping your frame, I understand that there are some hard to reach places, but with correct attachments I was able to get my entire front end paint ready. Although I originally planned on painting it asap, I have talked myself out of that and will paint on a warmer day in march/april. In the mean time, I will prep the backend, under the cab, cab floor and bed floor for paint as well.

The break/gas lines and electrical were a big toss up for me too. I knew I would replace the hard lines anyways, so I ripped them out. Making frame prep easier. I do not need this truck drivable during the restoration, so that makes that decision possible. You may be in a different position though.

Holler if you have any other questions, I am not a professional, but it helps I have recently done the work you are completing also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Glad your trip was good. But having your cramps see the pics and approve...priceless. ..Congratulations and keep it up!!
Thanks Blue

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 02-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #131
mcbassin
Still Learning

Anything new Jason?
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #132
hpcgmc

Hey Jason, haven't seen any posts from you in awhile, but thought I'd give you an update on the mastercoat. I applied the silver primer, mostly with a foam brush, and it came out fantastic! Temp was about 70 degrees with 30-40% humidity.

Then I applied the AG111 black topcoat and it didn't come out so well. Temp and humidity were about the same. I used a cheap foam brush and a cheap 3" brush and got lots of swirls, brushmarks and runs. I'm going to sand it down and try again this weekend, if it's a little warmer. About 2/3 through the painting, I thinned the paint out a bit and it worked a little better.

I assume alot of the problem is that I have very little experience painting. I'll try thinning it out a bit more and using a better quality brush next time. I don't have any way to spray it. If it comes out crappy a second time, I might just topcoat with a rattle can.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #133
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Anything new Jason?
UPDATE, I apologize everyone!

This past year has been crazy: travel for work, a new addition to the family (baby #2), and some side business ventures getting off the ground. The truck stands as it did last year...

BUT BUT BUT, dont worry, all is not lost...

I have been saving money and now have roughly $6K to put towards the truck.

Isn't it the best feeling to save money? I love it, especially when it all will be going towards this build.

I am getting ready to pull the cab within the next few weeks and get the frame powder coated. If you had $6k and were at the phase my build is in, what would you look into doing? I have my thoughts but am definitely interested in hearing from some of the vets that have so graciously helped me along the way.

So chime in.

UPDATE on Gramps. He is still ticking and golfing once a week. I am hoping this $6K gets me to the rolling chassis and I can start bodywork and engine/trans build early 2015. Possibly a late summer completion and meet him down in CA.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-17-2014, 01:09 AM   #134
Jahloha

The other option I am considering is getting the frame blasted, then having someone spray it with Pro15.

I am a bit concerned with powder coating, then 5,10,15 years down the road need to do some work and being unable to access bolts, etc and unable to touch it up after the work is complete.

Hope that makes sense.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #135
mjensen

Awesome news about the funds for the truck! I'm glad to hear you're going to get back to working on it.

I would definitely blast the frame, but you have several options for coating. I went with Eastwood's Rust Inhibitor, and then top coated it with Extreme Chassis black. I ended up spraying it in the garage with just a Preval sprayer. Worked awesome and the coating has been pretty durable so far. I like the fact that I can just touch it up if I screw it up.

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #136
Jahloha

My 1970 C20 Build Thread

Last edited by Jahloha; 10-21-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #137
Jahloha

Final Decision on what to do with frame:

1. Sand blast frame (quoted $150)
2. 2 coats of Silver Primer from MasterSeries
3. 1 coat of topcoat, brand to be determined, but it needs to be brush applicable.

Suggestions on step 3?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread

Last edited by Jahloha; 10-21-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #138
Jahloha

Holy hell!

One thing I am learning is that I can get lost reading all the write ups, op eds, and comments on any of our forum threads. By reading so much, I would commit to something, then read another comment/post and change my mind haha. This went on for the past 48 hours.

But I officially purchase supplies and made a decision to my plan of action:

1. Sandblast frame, use compress air to free debris, and then use Marine Clean as grease remover
2. Apply 2 coats of MasterSeries silver primer with a 4" roller
3. Apply 1 or 2 coats of MasterSeries AG111 topcoat

What I learned from this decision making process:

You can read, read, and read some more and never feel settled. Haha, can't wait til I decide what engine/trans combo to use...should be ready to make a decision after about 3 months of reading!!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #139
kjdolphins

Im enjoying the heck our of this and loving reading your build! Your frame should come out great; can't wait to see it!
78 Z/28 Camaro - "Rocky"
89 Camaro RS 305 TBI DD - "Betsy"
kjdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #140
Jahloha

Got a few steps closer to getting the frame ready for sandblasting. Removed the cab mount bolts/nuts and the rear were easy enough, but dang, the front required an impact drill (S/O to my neighbor for having an electrical one).

I also removed the monstrous bumper and custom hitch Gramps' coworkers made him. This hunk of metal weighs at a minimum, 250 pounds. Its insane!

All I had to do was take a grinder to the welds and a few slugs with a BFH and it was off. I also removed the spare tire mount and the L shape slab of metal that Gramps' coworkers welded to the frame for additional support.

I am going to have some friends come over and help me remove the cab tonight/tomorrow, once I build a support for it. Then all I will have left are the trailing arms and rearend.

Goal is to get sandblasting done this Thursday, then paint the frame Friday/Saturday.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #141
Jahloha

Huge bumper and custom hitch setup.
Name:  IMG_3837.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  79.7 KB

Pic of the L shaped piece of metal welded to the topside of the frame for additional hitch support.
Name:  IMG_3849.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  46.6 KB

Grinded off the old welding, took awhile, but pop off.
PS...grinders are my absolutely least favorite tool to use haha!
Name:  IMG_3851.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  48.4 KB

A closeup of the notch Gramps' coworkers made to clear room for the custom tubing.
Name:  IMG_3839.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  28.9 KB

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #142
Jahloha

Spent last night getting a simple cab stand built. Definitely nothing fancy, but had some lumber and an old pallet laying around (I did go buy heavier duty casters). This will only be used, at max, four/five times. So for me, I wanted it to be quick and simple.

I used 4x4s and a 2x6 underneath the pallet.

Name:  Cab Stand.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  33.1 KB
Name:  Cab Stand 2.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  39.0 KB

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #143
mjensen

Hey Jason, it was great meeting you today. After you left, you got me thinking about converting my 14B FF to disc brakes. I found this link that has some great information and a video on how to pull it off! It's super easy

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/14BSRW.html

Old 10-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #144
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen View Post
Hey Jason, it was great meeting you today. After you left, you got me thinking about converting my 14B FF to disc brakes. I found this link that has some great information and a video on how to pull it off! It's super easy

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/14BSRW.html
Mike:

No, thank you! Yesterday was awesome to see your build and help me talk things out with someone. Also, thanks for helping me understand my next steps clearer.

I owe you one!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #145
Jahloha

PULLING THE CAB:

Yesterday I visited forum member mjensen, Mike. He lives just a few miles south of me. His build is awesome and he really helped me understand the next steps I will be making and planning some things out. Thanks again Mike!

Also, while there he offered to let me borrow his hoist and custom cab support to pull my cab off my frame. SCORE!

The process went relatively smoothly, until I had the cab nearly completely off but had forgetting one cable. The cable got snagged and nearly pulled the cab off the hoist! Luckily it didnt and I removed the cable quickly.

After that I got ready to put the cab on the stand I built, but DOH! I built the stand with the idea I would have a few friends come over to move it with me, so the stand has only about 7'' ground clearance.

Long story short, the cab is now on some pallets waiting til I make a taller stand today.

Either way, I am pumped to have the cab pulled. Just one step closer to getting the frame blasted this Thursday.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #146
Jahloha

Name:  Cab Off.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  Too Short Of Cab Stand.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  55.6 KB

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #147
mjensen

There you go!!! Nice to be able to pull the cab off by yourself right? I'm glad it worked out for you!

Old 10-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #148
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjensen View Post
There you go!!! Nice to be able to pull the cab off by yourself right? I'm glad it worked out for you!
Haha, dont worry, my home made cab stand broke once I moved it to my rv pad!! DOH!!! I dont think theres enough room to get the hoist in and lift it to slide a new cab stand in. FREAK!!!!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #149
mjensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
Haha, dont worry, my home made cab stand broke once I moved it to my rv pad!! DOH!!! I dont think theres enough room to get the hoist in and lift it to slide a new cab stand in. FREAK!!!!
Well that sucks! I do know for a fact that two people is all it takes to manhandle that cab around if you're just moving it short distances, and not over any obstacles...like the frame

Old 10-29-2014, 12:14 AM   #150
Jahloha

Today was a great day! I finished tear down of the frame and only 1.5 bolts to go on the rear end (can't get the bottom bolts off from the coils, very frustrating!).

I will be calling the sandblaster tomorrow to schedule a time to drop off the frame and some other items (rear end, trailing arms, a arms, etc.). He quoted me $150 for the frame, hoping to get the other items done for another $50.

Here are some pics, including the dreaded bottom-side rear coil bolts!!!

Bare Frame (well kinda, e-brake cable is still up front)
Name:  Bare frame.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  48.4 KB

Can you tell where the truck was? Having a friend swing by and pressure wash next week.
Name:  cleaning out garabe.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  42.5 KB

Here is the freaking rear coil bottom bolt that I cut the head off and tried to hammer through, but was unsuccessful. I am not sure what I am going to do.
Name:  Bolt cut off.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  32.0 KB

Heres the other bolt, soaking in blaster
Name:  Bottom coil bolt.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  50.9 KB

My 1970 C20 Build Thread