The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

C10 mpg build or swap.

I plan to start a business in 1-3 years. Right now I am sold on the idea, but I want to let it digest for a spell.

Part of my model is delivering your motor home to you for a fee from storage, and deliver of your boxes. As a couple of the value added options I intend to offer. The second is for businesses as my concept. I will have my personal vehicle if I have a large delivery for some odd reason that a 1/2 ton won't handle safely.

So I will need a light duty truck for the above. Plus general maintenance I will have to do. That does not scare away clients like my white truck does currently, and will continue to do so. I get enough S for it, but customers I will have to care about.

I am not interested in diesel. Unless its a 6bt.

Has anyone read or seen anyone do the LFX V6 for a C10, or how about the turbo charged 2.0 in the Camaro? Would they have a good chance of besting a box standard 4.8/4L60E combo's. I have my eye also on the 4.3 V6/6L80 combo as it was awesome in my old crew cab.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:54 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: C10 mpg build or swap.

Most motor homes require a CDL Commercial Drivers License to operate.
You will need full insurance coverage.
A registered LLC style business setup.

For deliveries of boxes, a box truck is your best bet and it should be diesel albeit fuel costs are high right now.

This will be a business, so no time to fix up a builder to get it going...you need reliability and fuel economy.

Finally a good accountant and attorney.

Good luck

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #3
typerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
We own a 34' class A diesel pusher and no special license is required atleast in California. My understanding is motorhomes under 40' do not require a special license in most states.

Back to your business idea. There are many more travel trailers than motorhomes at the place where we store our coach. Motorhomes are a piece of cake to back into the tight storage spots but I always see folks struggle to back travel trailers into storage. I think a better plan would be a suitable truck to pickup and deliver trailers.
typerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:52 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
You will need full insurance coverage.
A registered LLC style business setup.

For deliveries of boxes, a box truck is your best bet and it should be diesel albeit fuel costs are high right now.

This will be a business, so no time to fix up a builder to get it going...you need reliability and fuel economy.

Finally a good accountant and attorney.

Good luck
Where I live most motorhomes require only a class c license. As to the insurance. This is all part of my business idea, and will be covered. Rather or not people would pay for it is another thing. Right now I am throwing out ideas out, and debating on them.

For the box truck. I am not talking unloading, and moving the whole thing. Sometimes business owners have a few files boxes they want. That's the scale I am looking at. I will hopefully have a crew cab by then if I happen to need more.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:59 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by typerr View Post
We own a 34' class A diesel pusher and no special license is required atleast in California. My understanding is motorhomes under 40' do not require a special license in most states.

Back to your business idea. There are many more travel trailers than motorhomes at the place where we store our coach. Motorhomes are a piece of cake to back into the tight storage spots but I always see folks struggle to back travel trailers into storage. I think a better plan would be a suitable truck to pickup and deliver trailers.
Never thought of travel trailers. I would need a newer 3500 diesel truck for delivery to work on that end. Atleast for a good portion of those.

But my Square Body crew cab I want would be able to move it enough to park, and pull out to the front of the property to deliver atleast.

I am a year from pulling the trigger. This will be a major undertaking, and I like walking away from work at the end of the day.

But if I do go for it. Value added service I feel is the way catch a in rush of customers to get off the ground as fast as possible.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:36 PM   #6
Dead Parrot

Check the rules on driving for money and needing a CDL. While a person usually doesn't need a CDL for a RV despite the size of some of them, driving or towing one as part of a service for profit might require a CDL.

Depending on availability and your proposed service area, a CNG fueled truck might work for the 'stuff' or trailer delivery. Around here, it is about 1/2 the price of normal gas.

Be prepared to deal with boats as well. See a fair number of boats behind RVs. If they want the RV stored, might want the boat stored with it.

Off site document storage is a thing. But that storage needs to be climate controlled, fire and other disaster resistant.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:03 PM   #7
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Check the rules on driving for money and needing a CDL. While a person usually doesn't need a CDL for a RV despite the size of some of them, driving or towing one as part of a service for profit might require a CDL.
This. Commercial requirements are different then personal use.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote