The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #1
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I swear I don't get the entitlement of people sometimes

To complete the picture, you have to know that I live on a kind of border area of town. Way back, when my house was built, all of the houses had alleys in the back, tying the houses of each block together through the back yards. My street is right on the border of this. My side has the alleys behind us and I have the only driveway out the front on the entire block. It's a 2 lane (25mph) residential street, no parking on my side. The houses across the street were built a minimum of 25 years after, having more "modern" construction without the alleys. As a result, all of those houses have driveways but they also have on-street parking on that side too.

All of that to say: I come home from work today, early afternoon, to see a car "parked" in front of my house, nearly blocking my driveway. Hazard lights just flashing away and a lady waddling across the neighbor's yard.
I "knew" what this was, a food delivery of some sort. This lady is literally parked less than 2 feet from a No Parking sign. I am continually annoyed by this stuff, and since she made it harder to get into my driveway, I called out to her saying "You can't park there". She snaps back "Thank You Officer!"
Now I'm pissed. I said, "Those flashing lights do not make that ok!" She says..."I'm not parked, I was just dropping off something" slams her door and drives off. The most annoying part is that she could have completely legally parked in those people's driveway! or the damn street on that side. But she blocked the street, making it hard on me, made several people cross a double yellow line to go around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:38 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: I swear I don't get the entitlement of people sometimes

Uh-oh. Next time, she'll park all the way across your driveway. That's how people like that are, sad to say.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:17 PM   #3
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I know what you mean. I live across the street from the rodeo grounds. They have other venues there all year besides the rodeo and the parking goes nuts. I have to put traffic cones out if I go out or I won't be able to park at my own place. People will literally park in your driveway or block it completely. I've had my traffic cones moved and a car was parked in my spot. I really don't understand the mentality of some people to just take my cones and throw them in my yard and then take my parking.

I was thinking of letting the air out of their tires but figured that wouldn't be a good idea. That, and my wife told me not to act up. My neighbor let me park at her place. So no harm, no foul. Just really annoying. And they were stealth getting out of here. Like Ninja's. I never saw them. Otherwise I would have at the very least cussed them out.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:33 PM   #4
LONGHAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I know what you mean. I live across the street from the rodeo grounds. They have other venues there all year besides the rodeo and the parking goes nuts. I have to put traffic cones out if I go out or I won't be able to park at my own place. People will literally park in your driveway or block it completely. I've had my traffic cones moved and a car was parked in my spot. I really don't understand the mentality of some people to just take my cones and throw them in my yard and then take my parking.

I was thinking of letting the air out of their tires but figured that wouldn't be a good idea. That, and my wife told me not to act up. My neighbor let me park at her place. So no harm, no foul. Just really annoying. And they were stealth getting out of here. Like Ninja's. I never saw them. Otherwise I would have at the very least cussed them out.
My next door neighbor gives very explicit directions to the pizza delivery people, every single time, that they Do Not park in my driveway. That is very nice and respectful of him, even though I didn't ask him to do that. The only reason I know it is because I saw him yell at one of them one time, because they did it anyway. Of course, the guy said "No one told me?" to which he replied "They shouldn't have to, it's someone else's". I just happened to be in the garage with the door open. All they would have to do is come down the street from the other direction, easy to do with alleys.

I have had contractors park in my back driveway, while I was at work, thinking they would be gone before I got home too. This happened with repair people on houses on my block and with utility workers like the cable company or power company. Seems presumptuous to me? I'm not parked there, so it's ok for them?

Quote:
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:42 PM   #5
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I feel for you Longhair ..as for me our house is in a Cul-de-sac and when the neigbors have a back yard party or gathering ,,no one ever blocks any drive way ,, they park 3 deep sometimes but never in any others drive way .. The only thing I see from delivery people is one gal will walk across any lawn to get to the next house and that includes mine .. I look it like younger generation cutting corners more that anything to hollar about.. I guess I should chalk your problem up that I dont have as "Lucky Me " Just remember though,, it is not worth it to flatten tires or anything as them boogers will get even with you and win every time ..I know ,,cause years ago I had some threatening words with some losers that were following my daughter closely behind her when she was coming home . they were drinking ,, and couple days later my mail box/paper box was hammered up beyong repair ..
Old 05-14-2022, 08:09 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I'm a little less kind, I guess. If someone parks in my driveway or blocks it, they get ticketed and/or towed, end of story. BTDT

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:13 PM   #7
LONGHAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I feel for you Longhair ..as for me our house is in a Cul-de-sac and when the neigbors have a back yard party or gathering ,,no one ever blocks any drive way ,, they park 3 deep sometimes but never in any others drive way .. The only thing I see from delivery people is one gal will walk across any lawn to get to the next house and that includes mine .. I look it like younger generation cutting corners more that anything to hollar about.. I guess I should chalk your problem up that I dont have as "Lucky Me " Just remember though,, it is not worth it to flatten tires or anything as them boogers will get even with you and win every time ..I know ,,cause years ago I had some threatening words with some losers that were following my daughter closely behind her when she was coming home . they were drinking ,, and couple days later my mail box/paper box was hammered up beyong repair ..
Oh, yeah. I could never actually "do anything" about it. First of all, it just escalates to problem. Second, this is not a random meeting in a parking lot somewhere, it's literally at my house. They would know exactly where to come back to, when I wasn't there. That is petty and childish, but that is exactly who this type of person is.

Quote:

Old 05-15-2022, 12:57 AM   #8
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Oh, yeah. I could never actually "do anything" about it. First of all, it just escalates to problem. Second, this is not a random meeting in a parking lot somewhere, it's literally at my house. They would know exactly where to come back to, when I wasn't there. That is petty and childish, but that is exactly who this type of person is.
It is childish but it's hard to control your emotions sometimes. I am guilty of losing my cool occasionally dealing with idiots. I have a temper and I just see red. Not a great idea to get in a fight. But I've done it. I don't believe that I ever started any of them but I didn't run either. A person can only put up with so much. I will stand up.

And I'm only missing a couple of teeth. Not too bad.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:24 AM   #9
RustyPile

I understand the opinions you guys have of the people who treat you this way.. In a past life, I had to put up with the same thing. I got fed up with "city life" and the problems that goes with it.. Here's a link to a picture of my front yard and the road in front of my house. The yard is easy to see but you'll have to look closely to see the road.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.gans.96
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:51 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I'm childish enough to come up with a way to "Fix'em" without it tying back to anyone.

I have a driveway straight up the hill right over the property line. The house sits up on the hill. On the opposite side of their yard is another driveway straight up the hill. A paved driveway with a mailbox, but the house sits farther up where you can't see it.

One summer night I went outside to feel the night and check the skies before going to bed, around 11.30pm. The neighbor who lives up that driveway comes rolling down, which is not a common sight that time of night. He has to stop because there is an F150 parked square in his driveway. Why would anyone do that? Along the road on the other side of the driveway is a big clear area with stone put down where the next door neighbor used to park his tractor trailer. Why wouldn't they park there??

I walk over and the neighbor is pissed. He was talking about having it towed, but he might get stuck with the towing bill. They were heading out for vacation, planning on driving all night. The door was unlocked and I think there was even some cash in the console. Who, what, where, and why? The neighbor ended up driving around the mystery truck. But I have lived here a long time and we never have anything messed with around here. I don't want anyone getting the idea they can be messing with us folks in this area so a lightbulb lit up in my head. Chicken bones! We had fried chicken that evening and I don't toss the bones into the kitchen trash can. They were still on a plate waiting for me to dump them directly into the trash can outside. Chicken bones get right stinkay! I probably shouldn't be too proud about this, but I grabbed those bones and stuck them under the driver seat in that F150. Need I say more? (please don't judge)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:26 AM   #11
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm childish enough to come up with a way to "Fix'em" without it tying back to anyone.

I have a driveway straight up the hill right over the property line. The house sits up on the hill. On the opposite side of their yard is another driveway straight up the hill. A paved driveway with a mailbox, but the house sits farther up where you can't see it.

One summer night I went outside to feel the night and check the skies before going to bed, around 11.30pm. The neighbor who lives up that driveway comes rolling down, which is not a common sight that time of night. He has to stop because there is an F150 parked square in his driveway. Why would anyone do that? Along the road on the other side of the driveway is a big clear area with stone put down where the next door neighbor used to park his tractor trailer. Why wouldn't they park there??

I walk over and the neighbor is pissed. He was talking about having it towed, but he might get stuck with the towing bill. They were heading out for vacation, planning on driving all night. The door was unlocked and I think there was even some cash in the console. Who, what, where, and why? The neighbor ended up driving around the mystery truck. But I have lived here a long time and we never have anything messed with around here. I don't want anyone getting the idea they can be messing with us folks in this area so a lightbulb lit up in my head. Chicken bones! We had fried chicken that evening and I don't toss the bones into the kitchen trash can. They were still on a plate waiting for me to dump them directly into the trash can outside. Chicken bones get right stinkay! I probably shouldn't be too proud about this, but I grabbed those bones and stuck them under the driver seat in that F150. Need I say more? (please don't judge)
Good One
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #12
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:

No judgment here. Well done! Parking in someone else's driveway and blocking them is just so blatantly rude.

My brother in law was the most easy going mellow guy in the world. But he kept having his driveway blocked by a jerk neighbor. He asked them to stop and they wouldn't. So he stuffed a potato in the exhaust pipe and put sugar in the gas tank. He never said a word but they got the message.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 05-15-2022, 12:37 PM   #13
MikeB

Quote:
Maybe the truck owner was visiting and didn't know about the driveway being for another house???
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 05-15-2022 at 01:05 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:03 PM   #14
MikeB

We moved from the suburbs to a somewhat rural area after 20+ years in the same house in what was once a nice residential area. But after 12-15 years, more and more of the houses were becoming rentals.

One rental house across the street had three generations of family and 4-5 vehicles out front, one of which sat there months on end with nearly flat tires, and then a second car that had been in a wreck. Another house had renters who always seemed to have friends or relatives visiting or living there. Their cars came complete with sub-woofers which would shake our windows at night!

And when that side of the street got packed with more and more cars, where do you think they started parking? That's right, on my side of the street, sometimes in front of the mailbox. Our garage was in back, so at least our cars couldn't be blocked in.

Where I live now, the driveways are very long, and most houses have 3-car garages and large "aprons" on that side of the house, so parking on the street is not an issue. And I have yet to hear a sub-woofer!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 05-22-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:24 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Maybe the truck owner was visiting and didn't know about the driveway being for another house???
Certainly not the case here. Not at that time of night and why park at the bottom of the hill and not drive up to the house? It's a long walk up a big hill. These people drive to their mailbox. If this truck owner had walked up the driveway he would have come to the wrong house. The driveway next to me, which is the only other house, has it's own mailbox. They never have guests at night and rarely ever. Anyone that might have been visiting would know where their driveway is. The neighbor who's driveway it was and I discussed all the possible scenarios and neither came up with a legit reason. He would have called the sheriff's dept except he was heading out with his family for a vacation, traveling at night.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-16-2022, 01:22 AM   #16
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Could have called the sheriff's dept except he was heading out with his family for a vacation, traveling at night.
Call the sheriff's?

Out here the sheriffs are a myth, Everybody's heard of them but nobody's ever seen them.

Call them all you want. Nobody's coming. You're on your own. That's why I have a shotgun and a big dog. It's all I have.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:16 AM   #17
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Call the sheriff's?

Out here the sheriffs are a myth, Everybody's heard of them but nobody's ever seen them.

Call them all you want. Nobody's coming. You're on your own. That's why I have a shotgun and a big dog. It's all I have.
That sucks you call the sheriff's dept here you get the deputy sherrif state police and NYC DEP cops . I've only called once when a few bow hunters got "lost" and set up in two trees in my back field tree line . Lots of BS from them that they were on state land then they had the owners permission . They got a little confrontational till I walked over to my quad and they saw the 12 guag in the mount on the quad . Then it got all were sorry well never do it again but I had already called the police before I went up . These guys had been caught on several other people's property prior to this. They did end up losing their hunting licenses for a couple of years . I think one was arrested a couple of years later poaching on state land
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:42 AM   #18
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
That sucks you call the sheriff's dept here you get the deputy sherrif state police and NYC DEP cops . I've only called once when a few bow hunters got "lost" and set up in two trees in my back field tree line . Lots of BS from them that they were on state land then they had the owners permission . They got a little confrontational till I walked over to my quad and they saw the 12 guag in the mount on the quad . Then it got all were sorry well never do it again but I had already called the police before I went up . These guys had been caught on several other people's property prior to this. They did end up losing their hunting licenses for a couple of years . I think one was arrested a couple of years later poaching on state land
It's funny how persuasive a shotgun can be.

When I bought my VW. The guy had a large property. He came out with a shotgun when I pulled up and I had called ahead.

"Hey don't shoot, I'm trying to give you money dude '

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:08 PM   #19
67C10Step

My wife and I were just talking about this over the weekend. When driving I don't think anyone looks in their rear view mirrors anymore. It's all about them and whatever they need to do. It's not their fault they are three lanes away when their exit comes up, it's my job to let them over those three lanes.

I am absolutely blessed to only have four houses on my street and know all those neighbors very well. I own the first lot on the cul de sac and my closest neighbor owns the rest. He has about a 3 acre pond right across from my house. This is a dead end neighborhood, one road in and out. It amazes me the number of people that think you can just roll up, park, and fish. This ain't the city park and all I can guess is they are finding it on google earth or something.

I've called the county cops a few times, but it was on kids that don't live in the neighborhood ripping around on atv's. It was more for the fact they didn't have any safety gear on and if they were gonna wreck and kill themselves I didn't want it in front of my house.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:32 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

You remind me of a thing that I experienced. I used to do work for a woman in her '90s on their old farm. The lane passes over a bridge and up the hill to the house, which you can see through the trees. On the strip of land between the road and stream is a stand of woods. Right next to the entrance is a big stand of bamboo. I had cut some standing dead and had it stacked ready to split back behind the bamboo so no one would see it. I did that because the last wood I cut someone stopped and loaded it up. Around here is the road crew cuts wood along the road they leave it there for the taking. But they don't cut it to length and stack it nicely for you!

It was the end of the day and as I was about to go to the truck I see movement down by the bamboo. Someone in a red jacket with a Jeep and they were using a plastic sled to drag the wood I had stacked, I thought out of view from the road, across the snow. Unreal! I walk down and see it's a woman and I say, "Hi, do you know the Merriman's?". She seems shocked and says, "I'm sorry. I live right up the road. Is this private property?". BTW, I had put up nice Private Property signs about every 50' all along the road to help protect the woman who lived alone. She also had a pond that sometimes people would help themselves to some fishing on. So I ask her, "What do you think, it's a park? I cut this wood for you neighbor". She said "I guess I should put this back then". "Stacked neatly, please" was all I said and left. Those people lived on that farm since 1959 and it was a well-kept place. Unreal

Tim

Old 05-16-2022, 11:07 PM   #21
Getter-Done

Quote:
It's funny how persuasive a shotgun can be.

When I bought my VW. The guy had a large property. He came out with a shotgun when I pulled up and I had called ahead.

That reminds me of a Deal I had.

Tractor engine for sale in a Fork lift thing
I call him before I started up there.
I drove 2 hours to meet him.
After I get there I call Him standing at his front porch.
Then I proceed to walk a 1/8 mile up hill behind the guy house.

When I got up to the engine for sell. The Engine was being pulled out by the person that had purchased it. What the Heck
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:25 PM   #22
v30crewcab

we had someone block the fuel pumps behind our shop one day were we had to fuel the buses at, no parking signs everywhere. my boss eased up to the car with the bus and pushed it out into the side road!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:31 AM   #23
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v30crewcab View Post
we had someone block the fuel pumps behind our shop one day were we had to fuel the buses at, no parking signs everywhere. my boss eased up to the car with the bus and pushed it out into the side road!
Good for him!!

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:34 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Call the sheriff's?

It used to be like that here, especially with my road being the county line. I used to say I wouldn't know a Carroll County Sheriff's car if I saw it. Never saw Frederick county either. It was the same for snow plows as well.

But I don't believe in involving the police in petty issues that I can easily handle. I had chicken bones!

When my neighbor and his brother began work on a building to house a sawmilling business without permits or proper zoning I didn't report them, I walked over and asked if it was legit. He got all smartass and crappy with me (as expected) and his brother Johnny got really mouthy and in my face. "Johnny! Do you own property here? I suggest you shut your mouth and take a few steps back!". That shut him up. I told the brother I was speaking on the behalf of all our neighbors who will be turning him in soon as they hear that saw blade ring throughout the valley. And, I'd hate to see him put his money and labor into something just to be told to tear it down. He said, "If you turn me in (did I say I was turning him in?) I'll turn you in for what you've built w/o a permit". I said, "I'll tear down everything I built w/o a permit before I'll put up with your illegal business", and walked away. Monday morning I get a visit from the building inspector. Fine. I went through the hearings and now I'm legit. No sawmill was ever built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v30crewcab View Post
That's great! That is always my first thought. We have the technology... Move it!

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 05-21-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:29 AM   #25
MikeB

Quote:
I

Sounds like the 1800s in the Wild West! Maybe the guy has watched too many episodes of Yellowstone or Longmire!

I have to wonder what's going through someone's brain when his first instinct is to come out with a shotgun. Many of my friends have guns, but you'd never know it. They keep them handy, but concealed.