The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #126
sick472

Re: OMG Honda door weatherstripping fits perfect no cutting required !!

I'm really glad this Honda option is helping so many people out.

I just installed a set of Precision seals (from GMC Pauls mid last year) on my 72 and they worked very well. I still have a very small amount of door and front quarter adjustments to do, but I don't see the seals getting tight and requiring the slamming of the doors.

I just wanted to add this so that soon-to-be seal installers don't think this is the only route. It might be trial and error, but I got it the first time with Precision seals. Note: My truck had the rockers, cab corners, and bits of the front pillar and floor cut out and replaced, if that really matters.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:22 PM   #127
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
I'm really glad this Honda option is helping so many people out.

I just installed a set of Precision seals (from GMC Pauls mid last year) on my 72 and they worked very well. I still have a very small amount of door and front quarter adjustments to do, but I don't see the seals getting tight and requiring the slamming of the doors.

I just wanted to add this so that soon-to-be seal installers don't think this is the only route. It might be trial and error, but I got it the first time with Precision seals. Note: My truck had the rockers, cab corners, and bits of the front pillar and floor cut out and replaced, if that really matters.
I also opted for the precision seals. My passenger door shuts nicely. The drivers door requires force. If it doesn't get better I may have to go back to the Honda seals as much as I don't want to.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3000 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Other toys always push it aside, but one day....one fine day, she will be back on the road.

www.paypal.me/Cape505

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #128
code522

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I also opted for the precision seals. My passenger door shuts nicely. The drivers door requires force. If it doesn't get better I may have to go back to the Honda seals as much as I don't want to.
Mine was opposite. Drivers door closed perfect, Passenger required slamming and I tried adjusting the striker, hinges, even beat the rocker lip in to no avail. I returned all to the original positions and installed the Honda seals and all was well . I originally had seals from LMC on both sides.

My entire floorpan was a Dynacorn welded in as well as Rockers , cab corners and aftermarket doors both sides. I wanted to get the seals from GMC Pauls but they are not shipping to Canada these days as are a lot of US based suppliers.
code522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:54 PM   #129
kell490

Quote:
Originally Posted by code522 View Post
Mine was opposite. Drivers door closed perfect, Passenger required slamming and I tried adjusting the striker, hinges, even beat the rocker lip in to no avail. I returned all to the original positions and installed the Honda seals and all was well . I originally had seals from LMC on both sides.

My entire floorpan was a Dynacorn welded in as well as Rockers , cab corners and aftermarket doors both sides. I wanted to get the seals from GMC Pauls but they are not shipping to Canada these days as are a lot of US based suppliers.
I have the exact same problem when I had the body work done shop installed a new rocker. I have spent a $$$ on brand new precisions press-on which I cut trying to make them fit. I bought glue in can't close the door I'm sure the problem has to do with the rocker that was installed there is no groove anymore just filled in flat. It's been too long to return to the body shop they won't fix it. I'm going to try the Honda seal next see if it works. Diver side is original. The press on were the worst could not even get either door to close within 1/2 in inch it would have bent the door on either side. I think the later 70 plus they might fit better mine is a 67 probably was changed little by Chevy in later years.
kell490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #130
CheySuper8

In regards to having to slam your door after installing new weather strip, if you look in
Chevrolet Motor division 1972 series 10 - 30 truck chassis service manual, Section 1B at body, Page 1-13 fig 35. It shows cutting a v notch in the weather striping at the bottom to allow air to escape, which lets the door close easier. It does help when using NOS or LMC weather strip. Good luck. Ken
CheySuper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM   #131
kell490

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheySuper8 View Post
In regards to having to slam your door after installing new weather strip, if you look in
Chevrolet Motor division 1972 series 10 - 30 truck chassis service manual, Section 1B at body, Page 1-13 fig 35. It shows cutting a v notch in the weather striping at the bottom to allow air to escape, which lets the door close easier. It does help when using NOS or LMC weather strip. Good luck. Ken
Probably what I will do on the driver side where I have a factory rocker panel it closes okay I can see the bottom is tight. I wish I had test fit the door on the passenger side before it got painted. The aftermarket rockers don't fit like factory does first time learning curve on restoring.

I think after this one I want to restore a K series pickup with 4 link long arms suspension with an LS engine.
kell490 is offline   Reply With Quote