The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #1
Adam Moyers

VIN Help

Is this a legit VIN? I looked at the decoder on here but it doesn't completely make sense to me.
KE149 J 831993

The seller is claiming it to be a 1969 K20.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Last edited by Adam Moyers; 02-22-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Adam Moyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
jocko

Re: VIN Help

VIN is for a 69 K10 built in Janesville, WI. Does the truck have 6 lug or 8 lug wheels? If 8, it's either had axle swaps or a K10 cab swapped onto a K20 chassis.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
Adam Moyers

It's 8 lug. It's had a 68 front clip put on.

Here are the details listed. No idea what a "Double C Frame" is? Kinda worried about that.

Rebuilt 357 c.I. Sbc
Tci th400
Np 205 steel case transfer case
Dana 44 front end
Eaton rear end
40” pro comp extreme mt2s
moto metal 962s
8 lug 3/4 ton axles
Warn lock outs
4 wheel disc brakes
Double c frame
Heavy duty spring suspension lift
New custom made harness
Attached Images

Adam Moyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:10 PM   #4
jocko

that's a very customized truck. "new custom made harness" would be enough to scare me away I've found I never really like unscrewing what some previous owner has done (and I'm sure anyone who has bought something I've worked on says the same thing). But it all depends what you want. To your original question - if this is what you're looking for, then just make sure you go in with eyes wide open. I'd ask for a picture of the SPID and compare to the cab VIN plate as well as the frame partial VIN to see if it matches anything - in order to figure out how this thing evolved - and to make sure you know what you'd be registering (and how it is titled). If titled as a K20, you might run into problems with that 1/2 ton VIN - the metal tag VIN is the primary VIN for the vehicle - the frame and SPID aren't as definitive, especially the SPID (because they can be duplicated). The ad does say it has 3/4 ton axles, so who knows what the original frame is from. Double C frame means additional C channel has been added to the inside of the existing C channel shape of the stock frame. Usually associated with heavier duty trucks than these light duty trucks. Personally, I think it would be a nightmare just to buy parts for... BUT, if this is how you'd build your own custom truck if you were going to, then maybe you'd save $ buying this one - it really comes down to what you want and it's a different answer for every individual. I would take the time to ask the question about the frame VIN and SPID. Odds are the SPID is long gone - but the fact that he's claiming it's a K20 and the VIN is for a K10 - I'd want to fully understand the scenario before taking the plunge to make sure you won't have any problems with your local DMV.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:11 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Look for a partial VIN on the frame above the steering gear. It will be just 9J831993.
No KE24.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:03 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
that's a very customized truck. "new custom made harness" would be enough to scare me away I've found I never really like unscrewing what some previous owner has done (and I'm sure anyone who has bought something I've worked on says the same thing). But it all depends what you want. To your original question - if this is what you're looking for, then just make sure you go in with eyes wide open. I'd ask for a picture of the SPID and compare to the cab VIN plate as well as the frame partial VIN to see if it matches anything - in order to figure out how this thing evolved - and to make sure you know what you'd be registering (and how it is titled). If titled as a K20, you might run into problems with that 1/2 ton VIN - the metal tag VIN is the primary VIN for the vehicle - the frame and SPID aren't as definitive, especially the SPID (because they can be duplicated). The ad does say it has 3/4 ton axles, so who knows what the original frame is from. Double C frame means additional C channel has been added to the inside of the existing C channel shape of the stock frame. Usually associated with heavier duty trucks than these light duty trucks. Personally, I think it would be a nightmare just to buy parts for... BUT, if this is how you'd build your own custom truck if you were going to, then maybe you'd save $ buying this one - it really comes down to what you want and it's a different answer for every individual. I would take the time to ask the question about the frame VIN and SPID. Odds are the SPID is long gone - but the fact that he's claiming it's a K20 and the VIN is for a K10 - I'd want to fully understand the scenario before taking the plunge to make sure you won't have any problems with your local DMV.

Not sure why you would be that afraid of a custom made harness without actually seeing it. I have seen some awesome custom made harnesses in my day. Well, compared to what I build any way....

I wouldn't pass judgement on any part of that truck, as far as the build, without looking at it. Yes, it may have some concerns as far as what has been changed on it but by the list it looks like he has been pretty honest on that. I would definitely be asking some questions but it looks like a nice truck.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:28 AM   #7
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I like it. 40’s are way up there though, check the frame around the steering box for cracks. Big tires put lots of stress on that area of the frame. Remember the only difference between the Longbed K10 and K20 year for year is the springs and axles. They share the same frame. If the frame and cab share the same partial vin than you know it’s had axles swapped, also in a 69 pickup you would have still gotten the t221 rockwell transfer case. So not only has the transmission been swapped(no th400 4x4’s 67-72) but the transfer case as well. Really not a major deal unless your after an original truck.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote