The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
mtidwell

Question Instrument Panel Help Needed/Newbie

Hello all. Been using this site since purchasing a 1971 shortbed at the end of last year. It has been very helpful and great resource. I have been utilizing the search feature but can't find a solution to this type issue.

My problem is this: Changed the instrument panel (with gauges) circuit board when I installed the reproduction tach conversion kit. Good news is that the tach works great along with the dash lights. Bad news is my turn signals on the instrument panel have gone haywire which wasn't a problem before. They seem to blink the hi beam lights(this didn't work before) and not where they should irregardless of the position of the turn signal switch. The turn signals on the body of the truck work fine so it has to be something instrument panel related.

I am at a loss on where/what to fix this issue. The tabs on the connector appear to be OK. The bulbs were fine before I changed them over to the new board.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
mtidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
franken

Re: Instrument Panel Help Needed/Newbie

I think there's a ground lead that clips to the metal dash. Make sure its clipped attached at both ends. The headlight switch also likes to be grounded so it should be attached. There's a color wiring diagram in a sticky somewhere in the reference area.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
mtidwell

Thanks. Added an additional ground to the circuit board, check the dashbulbs to make sure they were making good contact and everyone seems happy now. On to the next electrical gremlin.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
randy500
Account Suspended

Did your truck originally have a 5 gauge instrument panel? Or a 3 gauge? Wiring harness is different for each, tach works because it is completely separate wiring
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
El Dorado Jim

gotta love this forum!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
mtidwell

Smile Re: Instrument Panel Help Needed/Newbie

It was an originally a 5 gauge cluster. It knew I was having so much fun that it just wanted me to take it out one more time and check everything again. May have been just adding an additional ground for the cluster, the new circuit board with the kit being weird or perhaps one of the dash bulbs was inserted incorrectly. Don't know and don't really care I am just glad everything works again.