The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2021, 12:06 AM   #1
CousinTone

TRANSMISSION ID HELP - need transmission ID assistance

Hi all, I need your collective knowledge to identify what type of transmission I have here. It was given to me by a great guy who has 3 fully restored El Morocco’s down in San Diego. They were beautiful. Marv is his name and you can see his cars in the upcoming Mecum Auction in Kissimmee in a few weeks. He’s going to be a very rich man soon, if not already.

Back to my quandary. He gave me this transmission with the purchase of some of his extra engines. It appeared to be a rare overdrive unit with the solenoid looking thing-a-ma-bob on the side, so I kept it (hoping it was) and it’s time to see if it’s an option for my 64 C20 LongFleetside with 3 OTT 292. I have done my best to highlight the casting numbers but have been a bit lazy in the cleaning dept. I’ve googled so much I am stumped and know you are all smarter than google. It has 10 spline input and 29 out (if I counted correctly, I’m missing a finger, so I’m easily confused).

Let me know if any further info or pics are needed/wanted and I’ll get those done immediately.

Any help, input and/or guidance would be appreciated very much. Thanks in advance for all your help. Tony “V”

I’ll work on getting it cleaned up since I now have some unwanted Covid time off and update post when I get that done. Thanks again. TV
Attached Images

CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:32 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: TRANSMISSION ID HELP - need transmission ID assistance

Thread here on yours trans.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=606021
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #3
CousinTone

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Thanks, so I got lucky for once and have a real gem to upgrade my drivability? Wow. Any idea on year(s) these were produced or where to locate some research? I’ve looked quite a bit and I am not having much luck finding much in the way of identification of origin (original install vehicle and year), technical data and tech support to make unit operable in my 64 C20 behind my 292. It sure will make highway driving a lot better. Thanks a million.

I knew I could count on y’all for help...thank you so much. Tony

Last edited by CousinTone; 01-13-2021 at 08:43 AM.
CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:15 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

As seen in the link above, you have the more desirable 7 bolt side cover version. I have the 4 bolt side cover version in my 63, but the operation of both is pretty much the same. Randy Rundle has a good book that covers the basics on these transmissions. I highly suggest getting access to that book whether it's online or in print.

For the electrical side of things, you can find several threads on this site about setting that up. You can do it the way GM did it, or you can do it however you want to make it work, but that's up to you. I chose to do it the way GM did it with a couple modifications to make it better for my usage.

I believe those were produced from 67-68 or 69, but I'm not certain on that. Not very long which is why they are harder to find than the 4 bolt side cover that started production back in 55.

Bolting behind your 292 should be easy. The harder part will be making the shift linkage work if you decide to go with the column shift. You will probably have an easier time installing a shifter if you choose to do a floor shift. Additionally, you'll need to have your driveshaft shortened and get the right slip yoke to make it work. Good time to do new u joints and carrier bearing if needed.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote