The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
JL_

Paint or Patina: What are your thoughts ?

Not to stir up a fight, I'm seeking ideas and opinions/ thoughts and or comments.
my family's thoughts (unorganized) to aid the discussion.

ok my wife is Insisting, i paint this truck. teal green/ blue (original factory -ish color) Who knows what they are truly thinking. However, she says wants pretty and new looking. My youngest really wants to drive it to school in 5 years & wants it painted (she's 11 and thinks this truck is super cool) she drives it on the farm and calls it 'her truck'. I'm in no rush to decide anything. I've got 4 vehicles: this truck, Prius, matrix, 1970 restored convertible karman ghia and only 2 licensed drivers. in 5 years I'll have 4 drivers.

as is it currently. It is a non street legal (no tag no insurance ) a true farm vehicle. I see no need to paint it nor wash it. I sort of like the ' it just started, after sitting under a tree for 30 years' look. there are Lots of dents, dings and rust. Nothing too major but paint won't fix, hide nor beautify them. a tree stump incident and the spot where the bull got mad at the front bumper. you get the idea.
brief history: it's my covid-19 project. my dad bough it new in 64. I drove it in high school then parked it in 1987 where it sat on blocks (i live in Alabama) until June/ July of this year. straight 6 runs, no smoke, stops, everything works except the horn. its just old with no ac. dad parked it when I left the farm for the Marines.

ok you have my history my families thoughts with my ideas. I haven't decided what to do yet. issues I'm considering.

1. sell it as is..
2. if i keep it, convert it to the electric gm conversion when they become available.

3.4. Keep or Sell it : Paint it or Officially Patina ?

I haven't decided what to do yet. this is why I'm posting my questions seeking opinions/ comments . what would you do if it were yours? I'm in need of other thoughts before i start sanding or selling or keeping.

Oh the headlights are missing only because i was "fixing" them. I've got new ones ordered. the tarp is covering the new wood bed until i get it sealed/ treated.
Attached Images

JL_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: Paint or Patina: What are your thoughts ?

What your 11 year old thinks cool now will drastically change in 5 years. Personally, I would want my new to driving kid in something a whole lot safer than one of our trucks.

Patina v paint? Totally up to you. I think it looks great. Mine is patina as well, it's too rough to bother with full body and paint. You don't like washing it, and you like how it looks... I think your decision is already made.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
richards72chevy

If it was mine I would get it running and keep the patina.If you wanted to clean it up a bit you can get some scotch brites and clr.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
poncho65

Quote:
Originally Posted by richards72chevy View Post
If it was mine I would get it running and keep the patina.If you wanted to clean it up a bit you can get some scotch brites and clr.
THIS.....you can always paint or restore it down the road.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:53 PM   #5
forestb

Patina for sure. After all the trouble and money I have spent on my paint job and all the time I spend covering it with a cover. I don't think I want to ever have a vehicle painted again. And if you sell it you will probable be ahead financially if you keep the patina
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:43 PM   #6
AcampoDave

I would paint it. I feel the elemnts are gonna claim it before your your kids will drive it to school. I wouldn't go crazy but I would take enough time to straighten out the bad stuff. I'd do it myself and keep it cheap with a single stage enamel kit from Summit or Eastwood or whatever, and get all my bondo and sand paper from Amazon and my paint and body tools from from Harbor Freight. I also wouldn't get too particular about trying to rig up a spray booth, instead opting for a wet driveway on a calm, warm day.

Well anyhow, that's what I really did do:
Attached Images

AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:49 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I would leave as is...but keep it in a shed or covered building....
wouldn't want a new driver in it with nice paint...
and unless you diy the paint, the cost of a shiny paint job would be astronomical if you took it to a body shop...would far surpass the value of the truck...
I would get it mechanically sound, nice tires and wheels,, and putt around in it and not worry about scratching new paint..
I wouldn't be concerned about a lectric conversion, that's so far down the road

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #8
SkinnyG

I've waffled back and forth about that very thing on my '61.

1. If it was cherry but worn/faded, I'd do everything I can to save the patina.

But mine has rust. Quite a bit of rust. And I freakin' HATE rust. It's not a "survivor," it's ratty.

AND I fully intend it to be my daily driver, which means yes - Canadian winters. If I don't deal with the rust all the way in, I will continue chasing rust forever like I am on my '77.

2. If it has survived 60 years with the garbage paint of the day, it should survive another 60 after blasting, epoxy primer, and polyurethane paint - at which point I will be WELL over 100 years old and probably shouldn't be driving.

3. If I keep it long enough, the "patina" will come back.

The patina can come back quicker if I spray a cheap lacquer contrasting color over the poly base coat. Lacquer does not last.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #9
jayoldschool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post

AND I fully intend it to be my daily driver, which means yes - Canadian winters.
lol... for those not familiar, most of the populated area of BC gets a "Canadian" winter similar to about North Carolina. Now, if he's up the Coquihalla, on the other hand...
Old 02-10-2021, 10:48 PM   #10
SkinnyG

Okanagan Valley, between the Coastal Mountains and the Rockies. Average annual snowfall of only about 2'.

I would rather slit both wrists with running, flaming, chainsaws than move back to Vancouver. Vancouver is NOT representative of the rest of BC.

I used to live in Stewart BC, where the average annual snowfall was 19'.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate

Last edited by SkinnyG; 02-10-2021 at 10:54 PM.
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #11
jayoldschool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Okanagan Valley, between the Coastal Mountains and the Rockies. .
Man, it is beautiful there. I would happily retire them when I'm done with Ottawa. Great summers, too.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #12
jrusher

That’s a nice truck and color JL. I luv the old patina paint though . I know if I do full paint and spend all that time and money making it perfect I’ll be scared to drive it like so many others . I have a 67 Chevelle nice driver and it sits most of summer I luv ripping in the trucks more . I was almost thinking full paint on the 66 short I’m working on right now but I’ll leave it as is and gut the rot on cab etc and maybe paint it down the road when I’m retired . I would clean it up , clr ,cut , and polish. Fix, drive and enjoy it.
My 65 daily driver and the wife’s 61
Attached Images

Last edited by jrusher; 02-11-2021 at 12:59 PM.
jrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:39 AM   #13
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I would paint it. I feel the elemnts are gonna claim it before your your kids will drive it to school. I wouldn't go crazy but I would take enough time to straighten out the bad stuff. I'd do it myself and keep it cheap with a single stage enamel kit from Summit or Eastwood or whatever, and get all my bondo and sand paper from Amazon and my paint and body tools from from Harbor Freight. I also wouldn't get too particular about trying to rig up a spray booth, instead opting for a wet driveway on a calm, warm day.

Well anyhow, that's what I really did do:
This is exactly what i did. My patina on my truck will not work as i have no bed. So i have Summit Single Stage satin Red paint, summit primer, amazon air sanders, good bondo and glaze, and will just erect a plastic wall hanging from shop spray booth with a filter on one end and box fan on the other with dampened floor.

I sprayed my 1969 C10 with Eastwood single stage flat black, worked great.

Are either of them perfect? no, but that is ok with me. besides my time, i have maybe $1000.00 total in the entire paint job, including all the tools. The last time i checked on cost for a full shoot out with minor body work, ya, north of $10,000.00 with really good paint!!! I can see it now, at a show and some joker with a belt buckle leans over the fender to look inside and scratch... then off to jail i would go.... LOL JK but honestly i would be afraid to drive it and park it and i just cannot do that. I want to drive it, show it off, hang out, give kids rides, just have fun. I can do alot of other modes with the 9,000.00 in savings....

i really like the patina look, i do, i just never get lucky enough to have it. So i go off down a different trial..... lol
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #14
jocko

To me, it sounds like you might need to make a few basic decisions based on your personal scenario before you can truly decide on paint vs patina.

1) do you really want to keep it long term? (sounds like the wife and daughter support keeping it - but they may not understand the effort/cost involved in a paint job - it will be significant for this truck - so that has to go into your decision on how much you really want to keep the truck long term).
2) IF you decide to keep it - will it be for on-farm use or for street use (by anyone in your family)?
- if farm only, I'd make it dependable, and not paint it
- if street, I'd paint it

Not to offend any patina lovers out there - but I believe your cab is a little beyond the patina look.
Which brings us back to the original question of intended use. If you intend to drive it on the street, and therefore decide to paint - the cost will be significant. Another thing to consider - my opinion only - but the only thing that looks worse than a truck in desperate need of body work is a truck that had a half-baked attempt at restoration (and this is why I'm mentioning that the cost could be significant).

I think I'm kinda making the case that, considering your family's input on the subj (which is awesome that you are taking it into consideration) - I think that I would either keep it on the farm with mech improvements only - or sell it and buy a better starting point for one that will get restored or at least painted. I think painting this one correctly will be quite costly to get results you'd be satisfied with. Now, if you're doing it all yourself and have those body/paint skills - or maybe plan to attain them by approaching this as a project with your daughter if she is interested in it (another good option), then disregard all the stuff I just said and go for it, it would be fun .

The fact that your dad bought it new certainly weighs on the decision too - that alone would make me (personally) want to restore it.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #15
cwcarpenter98

For me, it depends on the truck.

If I'm going for a patina look, I want it to be all one color. Original paint makes that even better.

My 63 is not all one color. It has body panels from around 8 different trucks. Yeah, I still drive it like that a lot, but that's because I don't have the time or space to blow it apart for a full paint job right now. Eventually, it will get painted, but until then, I'm going to enjoy driving it whenever I can

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:05 PM   #16
Riverstory

What you haven't discussed is the mechanical aspects of the vehicle (or maybe I missed it lol). I wouldn't be too concerned about paint . . . but rather put your dollars into the making it safe to drive.

Personal story - in 1985, provided my oldest daughter a 1967 GTA fastback Mustang when she turned 16. It was a great car . . . for 3 months. Single car accident . . . but she survived because it was a well built car. I would want your daughter to drive that truck . . . because they are built with American steel.
Riverstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:09 PM   #17
30fathoms

Seems you have all original panels/patina. I would suggest get it mechanically safe for the road and judge whether your young'uns want to keep driving it before spending a ton on cosmetics. We took the '64 C20 I drove in high school down to the frame for a complete refresh but there is more to that story. If I had your patina to start, I would leave it...at least in the beginning. Nice truck, good luck!
Old 02-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #18
88Stanger

I must agree with previous thoughts if you plan to drive it soon, get it safe first, then running good, then looks. Honestly, budget is what will dictate what can be done, but maybe before that establish what the overall goal for the truck is. maybe write it down, get a game plan set, no matter how small or big. then from there start the process of what is next. this process can be alot for some.
if you want to drive it soon, then do as mentioned and really take care of the safety issues first, then runabilty. After that worry about looks.
If you a few years to play with, a sizably larger budget, time, spousal understanding, and good mechanical ability and tools, then a more aggressive build can be started.
I hope the best in whatever decision you make. its a great looking truck to start with!
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:35 AM   #19
El_Guapo928

I'm personally of the "paint it" side of the conversation. I had debated leaving my 64 in the patina style, but.....I care too much about the thing to not protect it from the elements.

A DIY single stage enamel paint job is really not that expensive, just time consuming. The kids would probably be more than happy to get involved in a restoration or restomod job as well.

As for the electric conversion, I would say to throw that idea to the south 40. These old trucks have a personality, and deserve better than to be turned into a soulless household appliance.
El_Guapo928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:47 PM   #20
bigmoe

JL_, that truck looks like it would be a good patina candidate. Surface rust but no rust holes. I'd do the scotchbrite thing to the surface, maybe some flat clear coat, repaint the grill and bumpers or better yet buy chrome, new side trim and put some nice wheels on it.
bigmoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:13 PM   #21
shsahs

Quote:
1. sell it as is..
2. if i keep it, convert it to the electric gm conversion when they become available.

3.4. Keep or Sell it : Paint it or Officially Patina ?
1. If you don't want it yes.
2. He__ no keep the electric garbage in the kitchen or bathroom.
3. 4. (My Choice)Keep it do the proper prep work and paint it. or
Sell it, leaving it as is, and let the next guy have his choice of what he wants to do with it.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:55 AM   #22
Ghetto Fireman

Going to leave mine alone.
Attached Images

Ghetto Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:20 AM   #23
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
Patina for sure. After all the trouble and money I have spent on my paint job and all the time I spend covering it with a cover. I don't think I want to ever have a vehicle painted again. And if you sell it you will probable be ahead financially if you keep the patina
This is what I have read here often.
The pretty truck often ends being something to worry about.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #24
LT1 Burb

I am a paint guy if the truck has been messed with, different color doors etc. But if it is original paint I would leave the patina. Everything I own has been blocked and finished to my standards and sometimes it is a pain.
Attached Images

LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #25
fishmunger

Please don't paint it! It looks perfect as is.
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote