The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2019, 02:12 AM   #1
Swedchevy67

Power steering

Anyone installed a power steering on a inline 6?
Posted via Mobile Device
Swedchevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
old51sedan

Re: Power steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedchevy67 View Post
Anyone installed a power steering on a inline 6?
Posted via Mobile Device
I believe a few of us have. You need to give us a little more information, most off us flunked mind reading in school. What year, which size engine, what do you need to know?
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
I believe a few of us have. You need to give us a little more information, most off us flunked mind reading in school. What year, which size engine, what do you need to know?
1969 longbed with inline 6 cylinder. 292hp.
What I too know if it’s the same process as with small block.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
NGN

L6 and V8 are totally different set ups as for the bracket and pump location, also L6 292 has its slight differences with a L6 250, and the 292 power steering parts are harder to find then the 250 ,which is hard to find parts for also, there out there.
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGN View Post
L6 and V8 are totally different set ups as for the bracket and pump location, also L6 292 has its slight differences with a L6 250, and the 292 power steering parts are harder to find then the 250 ,which is hard to find parts for also, there out there.
The truck has not arrived yet. I bought it for 1 month ago from a guy in Arkansas. It’s hopefully on it’s way too Sweden now. Whatever, the seller had a power steering and pump as a spare parts witch also comes with the truck.
Any idea where I can look for any documents that show how to mount it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
old51sedan

Quote:
The truck has not arrived yet. I bought it for 1 month ago from a guy in Arkansas. It’s hopefully on it’s way too Sweden now. Whatever, the seller had a power steering and pump as a spare parts witch also comes with the truck.
Any idea where I can look for any documents that show how to mount it?
Posted via Mobile Device
The 292 PS is a total different animal than the 250 PS, and harder to come by. Hopefully you receive your truck with the right one. If you go to the top of the page, click on search, put in 67-72 292 power steering, there will be a lot of discussion and pictures of what you want. Here's a picture of what your year truck should take.
Attached Images

old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
The 292 PS is a total different animal than the 250 PS, and harder to come by. Hopefully you receive your truck with the right one. If you go to the top of the page, click on search, put in 67-72 292 power steering, there will be a lot of discussion and pictures of what you want. Here's a picture of what your year truck should take.
Thanks a lot
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The trick to PS on a 6 cyl is to get matching everything. The brackets are only one part of the equation. I "Think" there's only one set-up for the 292 but there are at least 3 for the 250 and some of them use different pulleys depending on what the brackets were originally in. I got a complete set off of a Nova and made sure to get pulleys, brackets and even the old belts so everything would match. If you have to piece it together, matching the pulleys will be a nightmare. So make sure you get everything, pulleys, brackets and if possible hoses and belts. It's a long wait to get something from the US over there and if you get it and it doesn't fit..... you're waiting again.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:21 AM   #9
67/Heaven

My thread and experience in this link. Everything from kit part numbers , frame dimpling issue , power steering bracket sold on ebay for 292

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=729738
67/Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:21 AM   #10
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
The trick to PS on a 6 cyl is to get matching everything. The brackets are only one part of the equation. I "Think" there's only one set-up for the 292 but there are at least 3 for the 250 and some of them use different pulleys depending on what the brackets were originally in. I got a complete set off of a Nova and made sure to get pulleys, brackets and even the old belts so everything would match. If you have to piece it together, matching the pulleys will be a nightmare. So make sure you get everything, pulleys, brackets and if possible hoses and belts. It's a long wait to get something from the US over there and if you get it and it doesn't fit..... you're waiting again.
I'm using every channel (including Santa) to get the right parts, haha. Hopefully
it arrives with the right ones. And I have to tell you that we have very good
mechanics over here. Mechanics that love this vintage cars and trucks. But I will definitely take your advice in mind. Thanks
Old 11-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #11
Swedchevy67

Quote:
I'm using every channel (including Santa) to get the right parts, haha. Hopefully
it arrives with the right ones. And I have to tell you that we have very good
mechanics over here. Mechanics that love this vintage cars and trucks. But I will definitely take your advice in mind. Thanks
This comes with the truck. Hopefully it's correct
Attached Images