The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
67swb72klb

Re: An open letter to parts Vendors

[QUOTE=sduckworth13;5851521]I think this thread would have been very helpful for our board vendors here on the forum to let them know what they could improve on, but since the term " gramps" was used in a negative way, it has detracted all attention from what the thread was actually started for. The "gramps" on this forum is why this forum is the most visited Chevy/ GMC Truck website on the planet. I appreciate the "gramps" on this forum and want to thank them all for the input and advice I have recieved, especially now since some folks don't seem to appreciate you guys.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

what he said hit it right on the head

i dont buy anything from lmc unless i have too
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
JointTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
I think this thread would have been very helpful for our board vendors here on the forum to let them know what they could improve on, but since the term " gramps" was used in a negative way, it has detracted all attention from what the thread was actually started for. The "gramps" on this forum is why this forum is the most visited Chevy/ GMC Truck website on the planet. I appreciate the "gramps" on this forum and want to thank them all for the input and advice I have recieved, especially now since some folks don't seem to appreciate you guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
not sure what you are talking about, i didnt use it in a negative way.
I never disparaged a forum member named Gramps. I dont even know Gramps. I was using the general "old guy that knows alot about cars" euphemism. I dont need or want to talk to him when ordering or finding a part or trying to see if they sell it.
If I want to get knowledge I come to the forum. And I also appreciate the help given by the guys that know stuff on here. Its great having "gramps" on the forum. just not great being required to call him if I need a part...
Not sure how this went from a rant about websites/vendors to a flame about not being nice to old people on the forum. Thats way out of orbit from where i was heading.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Quote:
1. Your websites are terrible. This is 2013. get with it.
So sell me a modern updated website at "Walmart" prices! And oh, would keep updating it for me too? All for the same price.
I designed my site and some of the other companies have copied my ideas.

Quote:
nobody wants to call and talk to Gramps about the good old days.
I use to be offended being called "Gramps", but hey I have 11 grandkids now so I am getting use to it...

Just kidding, I couldn't let this pass without a little sarcasm... WES "The Gramps" parts dealer.. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #29
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
Junk yards dont do it for me. I hate snakes, dirty **** and long lines. Oh and the heat. God those dirt lots are hot and dusty. Also my time is worth more than the savings in most cases. Every once in a while I go with a buddy to help him find something and check out whats there.
Um, ok. Lol

Lol. Sorry, you tee'd it up for me
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #30
Classic Heartbeat

Quote:
Thats way out of orbit from where i was heading.
Your youth is evident grasshopper.... It is not what you say, its how you say it. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #31
schurg

I must've missed something....since when is going to walmart for 'everything' a good idea? I try to avoid that place like the plague. I agree if you want cheap...go there, but you'll also get piss poor service, and questionable quality of the items purchased. come to think of it,it might be a better analogy for lmc afterall
schurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #32
JointTech

ill do you one better Wes. http://www.oscommerce.com/ FREE
you have to update your current website anyway. This isnt any more time consuming or difficult.
In fact it could be easier as you can import a whole spreadsheet full of parts at the same time.

jeez everyone. I didnt think "gramps" was disparaging. I call old people that all the time. You are old. lol sorry for the offense for those with thinner skin.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #33
JointTech

Oh ok. I see. Looks like its time for a walk off. Ill meet all of you down at the old Members Only warehouse. But I cant make a left.

zoolander is awesome.

I got the black lung pa.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #34
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

JointTech- Your point is well taken, but it shows your youthful ignorance. The reason the small operations are thriving these days is "because" of companies like LMC, not in spite of them. Yes, LMC has a great website and a really cool catalog. Unfortunately they do not offer quality parts, educated operators to answer calls, or service after the sales.

I would rather pay a bit more and know I am getting a piece that has been tested, rather than a Korean mas produced piece of tin foil.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
JointTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
Your youth is evident grasshopper.... It is not what you say, its how you say it. WES
ah forums. You cant always put a smiley face emoticon to show sarcasm. apologies to anyone that took it as a slap. It wasnt.

I'm glad you/they are thriving. My point was that maybe youd thrive more with a better website or something to make the higher cost worth it. Maybe I just havent needed all the handholding that you guys find important from a vendor. I use forums and google for that.

i dont know. maybe I wasnt polite enough in my post and it rubbed ya'll wrong.

fyi I'm 36 so not that young. Immature; yes loud mouth; often
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #36
Classic Heartbeat

Quote:
ill do you one better Wes. http://www.oscommerce.com/ FREE
Once again you show your youthfull exuberance grasshopper. Have you not learned in all of our teachings that nothing in life is free... Everything in life comes at a cost, and yes unfortunately that free website too. You just need to dig a little deeper grasshopper. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #37
TBONE1964
Cluster King

This thread has got me really thinking about things. Just recently, I bought a used radio for my 72 Cheyenne. The cool thing was I paid $30.00 for it and got a good story about where it came from. It is very nice to bring something like that home and put some elbow grease into it and be proud of it. I am making it a point to buy as much "used" salvage yard original parts as I can for my 72 and my 64. I don't really like the aftermarket scene that much. Yes it is handy once in a while but it has no personality at all. Gramp's is cool and he is smart. When I buy a part from a salvage yard, it brings back many memories from my childhood going out with my dad on Saturday morning to get a used piece of trim or a fender or bumper and know that it is all GM American made with a lot of pride. I spend a lot of time in Oregon, where the 60 - 72 Chevy trucks are everywhere and still being used. It is like going back in time 30 yrs. I know it will never be like it was 30 yrs ago but I want to keep that feeling alive for as long as possible. I am 47 years old and I remember a better time on this planet. When I take the 72 or the 64 for a drive, it brings it all back to me. I sincerely hope that feeling is with me for the rest of my days on this planet.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #38
JointTech

well labor is never free. of course. But its a one time setup. In fact I remember there used to be groups of nerds that would do the install for free. Kind of like these forums. Us computer nerds spend time on other forums/sites helping people for free. Not just gramps on this site.
You manage your current site already. nothing harder here.

anyway dont mean to beat a dead horse (is there an emoticon for that?).
Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #39
busterwivell

Joint Tech, it's pretty obvious you think any one who's in business is thriving. That indicates to me that you've never BEEN in business. Everyone is welcome to the hobby, even those who won't deal with "dirty" parts, or having to talk to Gramps. I've been in business, not automotive related, since you were ten. I'm around this hobby for fun. I'd much rather get my parts from WES, know I'm getting the best parts, the right parts, and even have a conversation with him. Getting your parts from LMC is kinda like the computerized version of going to AutoZone, where they don't know what the part is, what it does, if it's what you need, or how to install it. All they know is the keyboard, and when payday is.
When's the last time LMC sent you an e-mail telliing you they located the rare part you wanted and had been looking hard for? I'll forever remember WES calling and telling me he found what I wanted and had looked far and wide for, and sold it to me. That was a result of one of those conversations you don't like to have, and WES remembered it a LONG time after our initial conversation.
I'll keep getting my stuff from WES, and I prefer to call my parts list in, the conversation is the best part of the transaction for me. You keep ordering on line from the best website, and we'll see who gets the most fun out of our hobby.
Bill
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #40
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
This thread has got me really thinking about things. Just recently, I bought a used radio for my 72 Cheyenne. The cool thing was I paid $30.00 for it and got a good story about where it came from. It is very nice to bring something like that home and put some elbow grease into it and be proud of it. I am making it a point to buy as much "used" salvage yard original parts as I can for my 72 and my 64. I don't really like the aftermarket scene that much. Yes it is handy once in a while but it has no personality at all. Gramp's is cool and he is smart. When I buy a part from a salvage yard, it brings back many memories from my childhood going out with my dad on Saturday morning to get a used piece of trim or a fender or bumper and know that it is all GM American made with a lot of pride. I spend a lot of time in Oregon, where the 60 - 72 Chevy trucks are everywhere and still being used. It is like going back in time 30 yrs. I know it will never be like it was 30 yrs ago but I want to keep that feeling alive for as long as possible. I am 47 years old and I remember a better time on this planet. When I take the 72 or the 64 for a drive, it brings it all back to me. I sincerely hope that feeling is with me for the rest of my days on this planet.
Couldn't agree more. One problem though. This lawyer happy country goes down the crapper more and more each day. Most junk yards around me don't allow anyone under the age of about 16 in the yard. Even if accompanied by an adult! Total BS
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #41
JointTech

I've owned a computer company for the last 7 years. I employ 1 person who feeds his family with my paycheck. I also have a part time bookkeeper one day a week.

I didn't read the wall of text past your first attack on me. You mad?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #42
Classic Heartbeat

Don't know where the dead horse icon is.. When I started my business it was without a website, so I did come out of the 20th centry into the 21st. When it is all said and done we all learn from each other and we do not shut each other out. not for any reason. If you haven't already found out there is a lot of disinformation out there and not all it is intentional. Much of it is posted by guys that only have good intentions in mind, but realy don't know what they are talking about. Perhaps they also learned in a forum somewhere, interpetted what they read and used that interpatation to instruct someone else. The person asking for the well intended free advise takes it and consiquently burns down his truck. It has happened and I have a customer who had it happen. The advise on forums is free, but not always accurate. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #43
Russ.W.

You can't complain about being charged shipping by small vendors. Amazon can give you free or significantly reduced shipping costs because they ship about 1,000,000 parcels a week. Read that again.

A million. parcels. a week. Approx 150,000 transactions per day.

Heck, a smaller vendor might be cheering if he/she/they get 20 orders in a week. Denouncing them for not dipping into that small profit margin to save you $10 is a nit naive. Heck, I'd nearly call it rude.

The website part? That I can get on board with. Not saying they need some hi-tech whiz-bang setup, but some basic re-organising for some of them wouldn't hurt. Simple, easy to follow menu's. Plus use some kind of frames, so you don't have to keep clicking the back button to navigate 5 pages to get back to the menu. An up-to-date Stock indication would be a bonus.

Decent product descriptions. If, as others have said, they prefer calling because of the knowledge the vendor has, put that knowledge on the website. If it's a part that people often incorrectly order thinking it's something else, jot it down. Eg: "Will only fit '67 with single notch. Those looking for '68 with double notch need part # XXXXX". etc etc. The more information you can put on the website, the less time you have to spend taking calls and answering the same 27 questions every day.

The other part to that, is images. Take a nice clear picture of every part you list. Photo's of the items you have, not generic stock photos (unless it's a great photo that can't be improved upon). Also removes half the guesswork for a potential buyer. If they can clearly see that's the part they need, they don't have to contact you to confirm. Put an image on the product page, and also a link to a higher resolution version of it. Nothing worse than having a tiny little image with "click for larger" under it, only to have the same crappy small image pop up that you can't make heads or tails of.

Granted photographing your entire catalogue will take some time, but you've only got to do it once, and from then on, only each new product as it arrives.

An adequate search function is always handy. There's an auto parts store here in Australia - which shall remain nameless - that has the worst search function I've ever used. Aside from the site being a disorganised mess forcing you to need a search function, if you search for "1970 tail light gasket", you get 500 results with everything from 1965 bumpers, to Marvin the Martian rubber floor mats. 10 pages into the search results you'll find buried the part you were after. Kind of misses the point of a search function.

Outside of that, simply answer emails swiftly (48 hours absolute maximum), and process/ship orders in a timely fashion (also 48 hours maximum - excluding weekends).

Being in Australia, most parts I need have to come from the US. For smaller stores without automated stock levels listed on their site (like Amazon etc), I'll usually email first to confirm items I want are actually in stock anyway - and if they'll ship internationally if there's nothing written on the site. The timing and content of that response also gives me an indication of whether or not they're worth taking the risk ordering from.

I won't use phones. The time-zone differences are a pain in the arse, plus I hate talking on phones - so email is the only way for me. Unless it's an absolute emergency, email is a better choice. It allows me to ask a question at a time that suits me, and it also allows the vendor to reply in their own time. It doesn't have to be that very second which takes them away from other work.

Well that's my 2 bob's worth.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #44
Classic Heartbeat

Oh and hey, his free advise nearly cost him his truck. Free advise not so free, everything comes at a cost. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #45
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

While I'm not a site vendor I have been a retailer for 10 years or more. I personally try to discourage Gen x-y-z ers from buying from me. Here's why

1. Rarely do they know what their buying they just know it looks kewl, some one that is cool has one or it looks Baaaaddddaaaassss or sick.

2. They can't fix, install , modify much of anything that isn't plugged in.

3. Joe blow has this engine kit for $12 and free shipping why are you charging $100 and shipping. Joe Blow is really a Taiwan company and has the Chinese government subsidize his shipping costs. Try getting tech support in Mandarin on a Saturday .... or any day.

4. You call 14 times for the same thing and still can't get it to work. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Oh you lost them ... twice? Ask your mom to read them to you, PLEASE.

5. Your smarter than most all us old people so you don't need to call me and please don't I don't have time for rambling monosyllabic conversations.

6 You have no concept of a time zone. You call at 630 am or 11 pm and get pissy if I don't pick up on the second ring. Then mail bomb me and text me till the phone locks up.

7. You install my part and something totally unrelated breaks and you want me to compensate you with cash, free what ever, and all kinds of silly things.

8 You order parts and think I can read your mind on when you need the part. It doesn't show up in this imaginary time frame and I some how have destroyed your build and need to compensate you for that.

9. Its a big emergency and need to ship asap and 3 week later your installing it and call me for support telling me you just got around to it after breaking my A@# about getting it made and shipped that day for Saturday delivery,

I'll deal with old people any day over Gen X,Y,Z,Q,P what ever's. Old people know what they want and know how to install it or make it workable.

Now I'm tired and need a nap.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #46
JointTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ.W. View Post
Denouncing them for not dipping into that small profit margin to save you $10 is a nit naive. Heck, I'd nearly call it rude.
Never happened. I gave the reasons why i didnt order from them. LMC charges shipping. i paid it. The totality of having shipping AND having to order from multiple vendors creating multiple shipping charges after I searched and clicked around on a boring website is what kills it.

I dont have a word to say about a man making a profit.

This thread was an open letter, not a rant against. I gave my reasons. I respect everybodys reasons for using the board vendors. Those reasons, so far, just havent been enough to justify it for me.

In many ways I am like the board vendors in my business in that im not the cheapest. I cant compete with the big guys on price. I make it up by being better than them. Never lost a client I didnt fire.

pfft, so well that makes me think. I'm holding you small guys to a different standard than I think my clients should hold me. Im more expensive, hell i even charge shipping LOL. oh but my website doesnt suck And I offer nearly everything IT related in a one stop shop.

Maybe I should assign a dollar value to board vendors just for all the contributions they make on the boards with knowledge. Say I make 12 orders a year. ( i treat my truck like a car payment and the money lady only lets me spend about $600 per month) So if I weight the board vendors an extra $50/month or something I might feel better spending more and making multiple orders.

Like I said at the start, i want to buy from them but on a cost basis it wasnt happening. Ive already given my reasons why personal service isnt something that i've needed. BUT all the help on the forums IS. And I dont mean helping me personally. Just do a search for most anything and a few of the threads will have a vendor giving input.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #47
BigRed76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
While I'm not a site vendor I have been a retailer for 10 years or more. I personally try to discourage Gen x-y-z ers from buying from me. Here's why

1. Rarely do they know what their buying they just know it looks kewl, some one that is cool has one or it looks Baaaaddddaaaassss or sick.

2. They can't fix, install , modify much of anything that isn't plugged in.

3. Joe blow has this engine kit for $12 and free shipping why are you charging $100 and shipping. Joe Blow is really a Taiwan company and has the Chinese government subsidize his shipping costs. Try getting tech support in Mandarin on a Saturday .... or any day.

4. You call 14 times for the same thing and still can't get it to work. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Oh you lost them ... twice? Ask your mom to read them to you, PLEASE.

5. Your smarter than most all us old people so you don't need to call me and please don't I don't have time for rambling monosyllabic conversations.

6 You have no concept of a time zone. You call at 630 am or 11 pm and get pissy if I don't pick up on the second ring. Then mail bomb me and text me till the phone locks up.

7. You install my part and something totally unrelated breaks and you want me to compensate you with cash, free what ever, and all kinds of silly things.

8 You order parts and think I can read your mind on when you need the part. It doesn't show up in this imaginary time frame and I some how have destroyed your build and need to compensate you for that.

9. Its a big emergency and need to ship asap and 3 week later your installing it and call me for support telling me you just got around to it after breaking my A@# about getting it made and shipped that day for Saturday delivery,

I'll deal with old people any day over Gen X,Y,Z,Q,P what ever's. Old people know what they want and know how to install it or make it workable.

Now I'm tired and need a nap.

I find all of these truths very funny, and sadly I am apart of that generation being only 21 years old. But I find it funny being that I don't understand most of the people of "my generation".

1970 Chevrolet Custom Camper K20
1971 GMC Super K2500, 12V/NV4500 swap in progress
1971 Chevrolet Custom C10
1972 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C20, 5.3/4L60E
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 455/TH400, 3.73 posi
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD, LB7/Allison, CCSB
2005 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3/4L60E, CCSB

BigRed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #48
JointTech

@dwcsr
i feel your pain. Unfortunatley unless you are old shunning the Gen Ners wont work. I need my business to support me for another 30 years and those guys are getting older and starting to make purchases and run companies. And the old people are, well, dieing...

Fortunately hard parts isnt my primary business. We only sell parts to clients under management.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #49
schurg

what age is the threshold for being 'old' ? I'm 36 too and feel like I'm more in the same boat as 40 or 50 somethings then teens or 20 somethings.
Attached Images

schurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #50
Classic Heartbeat

Quote:
Maybe I should assign a dollar value to board vendors just for all the contributions they make on the boards with knowledge. Say I make 12 orders a year. ( i treat my truck like a car payment and the money lady only lets me spend about $600 per month) So if I weight the board vendors an extra $50/month or something I might feel better spending more and making multiple orders.
To my knowlege I have never charged anyone a nickle for my knowlege. I have always given it freely and hoped that my advise would be apriciated, and yes an order would result. Does it always happen, no quite the oppisite. 1 in 4 phone calls may result in a parts order and even fewer responces in forums. Yet I take the time with each one of you as if I were building the truck myself, regardless of wether you by a single part from me. Lets see any internet geek (not meaning it in a mean way), build my website for free, and when it mowfunctions, fix it for free and while they are at it update it too. It will not happen, yet us board venders help you with your truck every day, without cost. You just said it yourself in your last post. You kind of sound a little spoiled here, and certainly unappriciative. Not what we have tought you grasshoper... "Gramps"
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed