The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
Dads79GMC

Re: Sparky's 1978 Silverado Build "Addiction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyboat View Post
I think the idea of using turnbuckles is an excellent one. I'm sure that they will come in very handy when I reach this point on my own project. And this is one very good reason why we support these forums and exchange ideas. Thanx so much for sharing, Mike.

For me personally, my biggest concern is going to be that my truck is a crew cab. I'm wondering how much more complicated it all will be. But I will know more once I get into it deeper.

Also, I think this is a good time to add this one additional thought. I'm actually looking forward to working on my truck because threads like this one have inspired me with confidence. I have very few personal friends who even understand why I would ever want to fix my old truck. They look at me like I had two heads and ask me, "Why don't you just buy a new truck?" So, I try to give them that same look in return and ask them, "Why in the world would you ever want to take on ten years of payments, interest and high insurance costs just to drive the same thing everyone else is driving? Where is your sense of individuality?"
Woodyboat, great points and thanks for commenting - this is a great site. Also, there is really no way the full rocker assembly would have moved if I hadn't left so much undone, especially the floor. Had the floor been in, the rocker assembly would have just buckled or something like that.

Most everything I've learned I've learned on here and trial and error. JaysonB is now working on my Dad's 79 GMC and he's replacing much of what I did 11 years ago. Yesterday I found the original cab corner that I lopped-off of that truck back in December 2006. After looking at it, I noticed that all that needed replaced was the outer cab corner, not the inner, that was solid as could be, however, I just unknowingly cut it all off. Duh!!! So, that's is just one example of "by doing you learn."

Thanks Mike

Dads 79 GMC Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642929

1978 Silverado Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756016
Dads79GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads79GMC View Post
Woodyboat, great points and thanks for commenting - this is a great site. Also, there is really no way the full rocker assembly would have moved if I hadn't left so much undone, especially the floor. Had the floor been in, the rocker assembly would have just buckled or something like that.

Most everything I've learned I've learned on here and trial and error. JaysonB is now working on my Dad's 79 GMC and he's replacing much of what I did 11 years ago. Yesterday I found the original cab corner that I lopped-off of that truck back in December 2006. After looking at it, I noticed that all that needed replaced was the outer cab corner, not the inner, that was solid as could be, however, I just unknowingly cut it all off. Duh!!! So, that's is just one example of "by doing you learn."

Thanks Mike
Hey Mike, so was the rocker sitting to far outward such that you couldn't get an acceptable panel to panel plain? or was the lower weld seam (or whatever its called/pinch weld maybe) kicked out at and angle such that it did not maintain the correct body panel arc?

thanks man! any way you slice it, the perfectionist in you is starting to show! and I like it!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Dads79GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
Hey Mike, so was the rocker sitting to far outward such that you couldn't get an acceptable panel to panel plain? or was the lower weld seam (or whatever its called/pinch weld maybe) kicked out at and angle such that it did not maintain the correct body panel arc?

thanks man! any way you slice it, the perfectionist in you is starting to show! and I like it!
Yes Sir! Also, the cab was off line with the box at the bottom line. This move corrected the panel to panel as you spoke of and improved the alignment with the box, that will remain good enough!!. I'll now have to remove a couple shims on lower part of the fender so that'll align as well..

Thanks Mike

Dads 79 GMC Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642929

1978 Silverado Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756016

Last edited by Dads79GMC; 03-07-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Dads79GMC is offline   Reply With Quote