The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
cigar-

Re: power steering hose leak

Ok....here are some photos....I hope they load up into this post.

One is the steering box as it sits on the frame. Sorry guys....it's a dirty old truck that needs work. It's not a trailer queen. I'll clean it up as needed.

The second is the flared fitting on the end of the pressure side hose. I had fitted a ring of steel wire around the flared end to hopefully place more downward pressure on the flared end into the steering box to seal the leak. It's evident that didn't work.

The last two shots are looking down into the port of the high pressure side of the steering box. The surfaces are machined flat....not flared. My pea sized brain gives me the impression that:
1 - either something is missing in there to make a good seal/fit
2 - I have the wrong hose end
3 - the steering box has been changed somewhere n the past
4 - ?????

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??
Attached Images

cigar- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
cigar-

Scott (sduckworth).....the leak is not back at the pump. It's on the steering box at the high pressure side fitting. See the post above with the photos.

Appreciate the help/suggestions though.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar- View Post
Ok....here are some photos....I hope they load up into this post.

One is the steering box as it sits on the frame. Sorry guys....it's a dirty old truck that needs work. It's not a trailer queen. I'll clean it up as needed.

The second is the flared fitting on the end of the pressure side hose. I had fitted a ring of steel wire around the flared end to hopefully place more downward pressure on the flared end into the steering box to seal the leak. It's evident that didn't work.

The last two shots are looking down into the port of the high pressure side of the steering box. The surfaces are machined flat....not flared. My pea sized brain gives me the impression that:
1 - either something is missing in there to make a good seal/fit
2 - I have the wrong hose end
3 - the steering box has been changed somewhere n the past
4 - ?????

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions??
First remove that steel ring from the hose you are trying to fit, it's don't belong there and it will shorten the thread depth which could be a big issue.

Remove the low pressure fitting from the gear and see if it has an o ring. If it does, then so does your high press side.

Check out these before and after pictures of a gear being converted from o ring to flare.

You need:
One #40620 High press side adapter
One #40630 Low press side adapter (or just use the fitting you have with the o ring as the rubber hose don't care it just slides over).
One # 40625 Installation tool. (I heard you could just use a short 1/4" bolt with a flat punch).

Call Lee Manufacturing in California at 888-698-6679 they take all major credit cards.
Attached Images

mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
cigar-

I'm flabbergasted!! Totally speechless.

You knew exactly what to do. Have you seen this problem before? I don't know why I'm shocked but I am!!

From my feeble memory, there's no o ring on the low pressure side. That side doesn't leak at all.

I just looked up Lee Manufacturing. He's about 8 miles from where I sit at work each day!! Will call them ASAFP.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar- View Post
I'm flabbergasted!! Totally speechless.

You knew exactly what to do. Have you seen this problem before? I don't know why I'm shocked but I am!!

From my feeble memory, there's no o ring on the low pressure side. That side doesn't leak at all.

I just looked up Lee Manufacturing. He's about 8 miles from where I sit at work each day!! Will call them ASAFP.
I've never actually encountered it myself on the gear, but I have heard of it. I just did the research for you on google.

If the gear is o ring style on the pressure side, it will be o ring style on the low side as well. Whoever installed the gear likely removed the rubber hose from the low side fitting without taking the fitting out of the gear. I bet if you do you will see an o ring, but if you do get a new o ring first so you don't create another leak.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
cigar-

Talking Re: power steering hose leak

As I think I posted earlier, they are about 8 miles from my work. I will dropping by them on my way in tomorrow morning. The owner's wife was SO accommodating and knowledgeable.

She did tell me from the photos I shared that the steering gear on my truck is not the original one. I'm not sure (nor is she) what year truck it's from but it should work with those ferrules installed this weekend.

Thanks again and will keep you all posted!!