The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2021, 01:01 AM   #1
Fieljekoel

1968 292 Oil Filter Threaded Adapter

Hello,

I recently had my 292 inline six rebuilt, and the machine shop took the threaded adapter that you screw the oil filter onto out of the block, and never gave me back the original one. I was hoping to find out what part I need to order to replace the one I am missing. I took some measurements of the hole in the block, and the oil filter, and I think the block side thread is 1"-12, and the oil filter thread is 13/16"-16. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this as it is the one thing in the way of me getting my engine started back up
Fieljekoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:32 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: 1968 292 Oil Filter Threaded Adapter

It's called an oil bypass valve. First: You need to have a talk with the machine shop and have them find the missing part or provide you with a replacement. The part is readily available but is relatively expensive. Here's a link to an SBC V8 replacement. I think the V8 and I6 use the same.

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...rts/g7300.html
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:55 AM   #4
Fieljekoel

I've seen those, but I'm hesitant because the current filter location is entirely flush to the block, and the oil filter isn't recessed so there can't be anything protruding. I also don't remember anything that looked like that when I changed the oil in the past. I attached a pick of the oil filter location.

I've already contacted the rebuilder about this, and they gave me a part number to order, and it wasn't the right part. I know this isn't the best situation but it is what it is now, and I'm just trying to get my truck going again. I found this part from the same site:

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...yABEgIkrvD_BwE

Would this be right? Could the bypass valve be configured differently for my engine? Do I need the bypass valve?
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2021, 01:07 AM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieljekoel View Post
I've seen those, but I'm hesitant because the current filter location is entirely flush to the block, and the oil filter isn't recessed so there can't be anything protruding. I also don't remember anything that looked like that when I changed the oil in the past. I attached a pick of the oil filter location.

I've already contacted the rebuilder about this, and they gave me a part number to order, and it wasn't the right part. I know this isn't the best situation but it is what it is now, and I'm just trying to get my truck going again. I found this part from the same site:

Would this be right? Could the bypass valve be configured differently for my engine? Do I need the bypass valve?

It looks like the bypass is in the block on that. I wonder if the nipple came out with the oil filter when they took it off and they threw it away with the filter.

I have two 292 engines out in the shop. I will check one of them in the morning and see what it has on there.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:50 AM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieljekoel View Post

I stand corrected. That part in your link is probably what's missing. The bypass valve is the "washer looking" round item located at about 12:00 in your picture. Yes, you need a bypass valve. It's to prevent oil starvation in the event the oil filter plugs up and stops oil flow.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here are pictures of mine. Kind of hard to get to because of where it is sitting. I didn't want to try to remove the adapter. I'm sure there is a tool for that but I don't have one. I would say that the one in the link you posted would be correct.

It obviously came out when they took the filter off. If the filter is still in their trash bin they can dig it out, or buy you a new one.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 11-26-2021 at 11:20 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #8
RichardJ

The first thing that came to my mind when I started reading this thread is that if they removed the filter adapter, did they also remove the distributor shaft bushing in the bottom of the block. The end of the bushing protrudes out of the bottom and if they decked the block they might have removed it.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:22 PM   #9
Getter-Done

Looks that that fitting from Classic Industries will work,
And from Leon's picture ,
It can be Installed with an allen wrench.

Name:  292 oil filter boss-1_LI.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  77.5 KB

I thinking like RichardJ I hope they did not leave anything else off that is not noticed.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
Fieljekoel

Thanks guys! It does look like I am missing the bypass valve too. I’m gonna call them up and ask about all this and try to get them to send me the parts, otherwise I’ll just order it myself. I’ll make sure to update this in case anybody ends up in the same predicament.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2022, 02:51 PM   #11
Fieljekoel

I ended up just ording the adapter linked above, and it worked perfectly. Got the engine up and running and everything seems good. Just in case the link dies its an adaptor with a 1"-12 x 7/16" thread into the engine block and a 13/16"-16 x 1/2" thread for the oil filter.