The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #26
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

Re: custom subwoofer boxes

Custom_10:

The boxes are glued and screwed with 3/4" MDF, with a 3/4" recess ring getting the woofer below the top of the box. I bought some terminals from parts-express, installed those and caulked the interior of the boxes. then carpetted them with spray adhesive and box carpet. Then install acousta-stuf, a butyl gasket(3m windowsealer) on the speaker ring and finally install the speaker compressing the butyl rubber ring and screwed them in place. Height of the boxes is 5.5"x13"widex15"deep which is giving me about .30 for an internal volume, the speakers spec'd at .35 but they still sound nice.

Be aware that the woofer must be placed rearward of the seat's front springs(notice placement in the box) and that you check to see if your seat springs depress into the woofer cone(mine may be stronger than others - or weaker). This can be accomplished with a friends hand between the seat and woofer cone and you simulating bumps with your full weight on it(my wife was scared about me squishing her hand - but nothing happened! ) With this setup you must place the speaker boxes(not bolted) then install the seat. Slide teh boxes around a bit to position and then bolt down the seat. The seat cannot be bolted first as the boxes will not slide in due to the ridge in the floorpan. Because of this you cannot install the inner rear seat bolt(unless you have a magic contorting wrist and socket wrench so be sure to get longer and stronger seat bolts/bigger washers as you will only have 6 now. On a positive note, there is no way for thieves to access of remove the amp/speakers without unbolting the entire seat and removing it, and the boxes will not slide anywhere at all...

Feel free to ask anymore questions!
Beatcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:09 AM   #27
CUSTOM_1O
HaV0KSR559<~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcoaster View Post
custom_10:

The boxes are glued and screwed with 3/4" mdf, with a 3/4" recess ring getting the woofer below the top of the box. I bought some terminals from parts-express, installed those and caulked the interior of the boxes. Then carpetted them with spray adhesive and box carpet. Then install acousta-stuf, a butyl gasket(3m windowsealer) on the speaker ring and finally install the speaker compressing the butyl rubber ring and screwed them in place. Height of the boxes is 5.5"x13"widex15"deep which is giving me about .30 for an internal volume, the speakers spec'd at .35 but they still sound nice.

Be aware that the woofer must be placed rearward of the seat's front springs(notice placement in the box) and that you check to see if your seat springs depress into the woofer cone(mine may be stronger than others - or weaker). This can be accomplished with a friends hand between the seat and woofer cone and you simulating bumps with your full weight on it(my wife was scared about me squishing her hand - but nothing happened! ) with this setup you must place the speaker boxes(not bolted) then install the seat. Slide teh boxes around a bit to position and then bolt down the seat. The seat cannot be bolted first as the boxes will not slide in due to the ridge in the floorpan. Because of this you cannot install the inner rear seat bolt(unless you have a magic contorting wrist and socket wrench so be sure to get longer and stronger seat bolts/bigger washers as you will only have 6 now. On a positive note, there is no way for thieves to access of remove the amp/speakers without unbolting the entire seat and removing it, and the boxes will not slide anywhere at all...

Feel free to ask anymore questions!

now is ur amp screwed down to a seperate board of do u have the bottom of the subs box runnin all along the bottom???

I had got a set of sum pioneers 350 w each subs just now
and there both 5 1/4 from the outer ring to the magnet and i was wondering if you think i could get that into a box your size or if i would have to go with a 6 inch height if yet that would even be possible...

Sorry for the question but im kinda curious now and its really cold n late out to go measure up some plans lol

thanks
[COMPLETE-EDELBROCK]
[PERFORMANCE-SERIES]
[CAM_CARB_MANIFOLD]
...TURBO-400_TRANNY...
CUSTOM_1O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #28
ya it is a classic

alright so this thread is super old but heres my set up. i dont have pictures but i had 2 6in speakers 1 in each door. racing seats with 13 1/2in between them i believe and i put a 10in jl audio sub in a sealed box that was 13in wide. a $250 pioneer head unit that i screwed down on top of the box with both the sub and speakers running off a 600 watt alpine mounted under the driver seat. phoenix gold equalizer. 4 gauge wire running from the battery on top of the frame and up through the floor. lets just say i pushed the 10in jl to the max and blew it so i put in a used kicker comp and was very disappointed so i bought 2 12in jl w3s? in a massive ported memphis audio box and just took out the passenger seat. then i put the subs and amp in my 99 grand prix gtp. same setup but the speakers arnt amped yet. even with only 600 watts, playing some gangsta music those subs bump!
ya it is a classic is offline   Reply With Quote