The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Legend56BC

Question Question about Stock Restorartions?

Ok I have been out of the classic chevy car show scene for a few years now and want to know if people are still doing factory stock restorations on there Chevy Trucks?I have a few alternators that I did a numbers matching search on and have 64Chevy,67ChevyA/C & 69-70 Chevy and thought $25 a working core would be fine.Am I out of the loop our there still people restoring factory correct these days? Man back in the 90's it was a big deal with the 55-64 Chevys... I will post these alternators in the for sale section I just wanted to know in advance because I got nothing on the stock dist I posted earlier...
Legend56BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
sameyrasmea72

Re: Question about Stock Restorartions?

Sure there are. We are trying to anyway. I have the correct alternator, carb water pump, and distributor, to name a few. I still need a correct # starter I think. I am trying to use all NOS parts too. I lucked out because I have the protect-o-plate that matches the date on the matching bigblock and I have the ORIGINAL one owner title too. We still need a few more correct # parts, but we are close to having everything.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
toms68cst

There are quite a few stockers around this board. When I rebuilt my 327 a few years ago, I was A.R right down to the smog pump and other little details. I had a lot of fun researching the numbers and trying to get the details in the engine bay right.

To me there is nothing sweeter than a vintage car or truck that looks exactly like it did sitting on the dealer's lot when it was new. There's also nothing wrong with doing a stocker with a few bolt-on mods which could be easily be put back to original.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Legend56BC

Unhappy Re: Question about Stock Restorartions?

Well guys I took your advice and posted a few part# items here and on ebay and few other other sites and I feel the hunt for the original numbers matching part has been long gone.....I mean I posted these numbered parts every were and nothing so the next time I do the haul to the scrap metal receycler they have to go.... to bad the hobby is going the way of just buying something new off the shelf.....If you want to see what was posted on ebay I am streetstock1972.....No this is not a advertistment just the facts from were I sit on the original restoration projects now a days compared to the 90's....
Legend56BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Shyguy

When I go to car/truck shows it seems that very few are doing restorations now days.

I have two trucks, one a '71 and one a '67. I am going custom with the '71 and stock with the '67.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Todd Hepler
Rottenwood Garage Member

My $.02 -

It seems like a lot of folks are in the same boat I am - restoring a daily driver. Whats great about these trucks are that they are relatively plentiful and cheap; it seems like every auto parts store carries a decent selection of parts for us and you can find drivers on craigslist for under $1K every week.

I know I could have kept the original alternator/external voltage regulator on my DD 72, but why? I found a CS144 at the pull-a-part that will be more than I will ever need with regards to battery charging, electric fan, and eventual stereo system. And I learned some cool stuff in the process.

Same with the carb, intake, heads, power brake booster, etc.

I think the numbers matching needs are more suited to the guys who are building a 69 Camaro or 70 Cuda. Those will go up for sale at $60,000 - $100,000.

There's a guy out of FL advertising an all original, #matching, Big Block 72 Cheyenne Super in the Atlanta craigslist for under $20K. And has been for quite some time ... Its a beautiful truck and if I could afford it I would snatch it up and drive the piss out of it!!

I'm not saying these truck wont grow in popularity and value, but I think the abundance of great examples keeps the value lower than the rare muscle cars, and consequently less likely to be the recipient of a high $$, #'s matching resto.

-Todd
Todd Hepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
DANTIP

There are a few of us that will pay top dollar for correct part numbers on original Big-Block parts. I have had some very nice/correct small-block parts and have never had any luck selling them. Correct Big-Block carbs, smog parts, starters, A/C brackets, heat-riser tubes, etc. all bring good $$. I suggest learning the part numbers of these desirable parts and watching for them.
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
Mark B

Mine is a stock restoration. I think more and more people are appreciating original trucks. I don't have the creativity or money to make a custom truck either. And once you start down the custom path, it is a long road because one thing leads to another (tires to wheels, to brakes, to suspension, etc.)

I must say though I am not seeking perfection of originality. I recently installed a brake booster and new MC so that I could have power brakes, it has shoulder belts, and I am considering a swap to an automatic tranny from the 3 on the tree. I guess I want it easier (and safer) to drive, but still look original.
Attached Images

Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Its getting pretty expensive to do one even with relatively easy to source parts, much less with all the numbers. Even in high dollar circles of Cuda's and Vettes, "tribute" cars are bringing real good money when they are built right. Cars with new fuel injected engines also are real popular - if the engine / transmission can be completely wrong and bring the money, then what's the incentive other than knowing it's as original as can be?

I respect the originals very much, and admire the people that can hunt all the stuff down. I try to do that myself on occasion, but I find it snowballs and I have to stop myself from spending so much I'm upside down on the truck it's ridiculous. It also chaps me a bit to get one redone so nicely I don't want to use it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote