The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #26
dmjlambert

Re: Parallel Flow Condenser

This Original Air upgrade kit looks interesting, too. Perhaps having F.A.A.benny refurb my evaporator box and recalibrate the POA, plus this upgrade kit, would be a good combo.

https://originalair.com/67-72-chevro...t-134a-stage-2

Kit info says "Classic Auto Air's "Perfect Fit" Modern replacement high performance Parallel Flow condenser kit"

Last edited by dmjlambert; 08-04-2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add info
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #27
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold70c10 View Post
My '78 was converted to R134A by the previous owner in 2007. It still has the original condenser, evaporator, and new compressor and receiver. On the highway I have to turn the fan down because it will get so cold on high. In city driving, it is not as cold, but I never need to roll the windows down or break into a sweat.
I think the only difference between this setup and the 67-72 is the metering device method and there is no low-side thermostat cycling switch.
For Houston I suppose this pretty much confirms what I suspected, I can't be using the original condenser use R134a and be cold in city traffic. It is hotter than hell here, and we have extreme humidity. I know A/C with R134a can be cold here, because my wife's Mitsubishi Endeavor has R134a and it is always extremely cold. I call it biting cold. It doesn't matter if it's 105 degrees out, the air coming out of the vents is way too cold and I have to roll a window down to let some hot air in, or put on a jacket. With that Endeavor system it does not mix warm and cold air or otherwise allow me to adjust the temperature of the air coming out of the vents, and that is an annoyance. But I know I won't have that problem on my Chevy because on the Chevy I do have the ability to mix air. So this is what I'm looking for. I want my truck to have Cold A/C all the time in any traffic and on any day. Unforgiving biting cold if the temp mix is all the way to the left.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #28
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
For Houston I suppose this pretty much confirms what I suspected, I can't be using the original condenser use R134a and be cold in city traffic. It is hotter than hell here, and we have extreme humidity. I know A/C with R134a can be cold here, because my wife's Mitsubishi Endeavor has R134a and it is always extremely cold. I call it biting cold. It doesn't matter if it's 105 degrees out, the air coming out of the vents is way too cold and I have to roll a window down to let some hot air in, or put on a jacket. With that Endeavor system it does not mix warm and cold air or otherwise allow me to adjust the temperature of the air coming out of the vents, and that is an annoyance. But I know I won't have that problem on my Chevy because on the Chevy I do have the ability to mix air. So this is what I'm looking for. I want my truck to have Cold A/C all the time in any traffic and on any day. Unforgiving biting cold if the temp mix is all the way to the left.
While it may never be perfect, if you're system is working, adding an electric fan on the front of your condenser will help a lot.

Obviously the upgraded condenser will be even better if used with an electric fan as well.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #29
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

You can make your own drop-in R-12 replacement using a propane/isobutane mix, which is also available commercially if you don't want to make it yourself.

It is just as safe as R-134A, the flashpoint is higher than the 134a/oil mix that would be running thru your system.
You could use the propane straight, the mix is so it will mix with the oil better.

Interestingly, the van I drive at work is a 2000's Chevy van using R134a and it's performance driving around town is like my '78, yet it was built for 134a.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel

Last edited by oldgold70c10; 08-06-2018 at 05:43 PM.
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #30
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
This Original Air upgrade kit looks interesting, too. Perhaps having F.A.A.benny refurb my evaporator box and recalibrate the POA, plus this upgrade kit, would be a good combo.

https://originalair.com/67-72-chevro...t-134a-stage-2

Kit info says "Classic Auto Air's "Perfect Fit" Modern replacement high performance Parallel Flow condenser kit"

That doesn't appear to be a true parallel flow condenser. Looks like it might be a piccolo condenser. I personally wouldn't go with i because of that. I'd make a universal parallel flow condenser work. And they are very inexpensive.
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #31
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Parallel Flow Condenser

Why not just go to a junkyard and get one? Yea you may have to make brackets and make sure it's good but seems to me it would work. Get a 2015 are so Tahoe Suburban heavy duty truck and it should have everything you need.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #32
bMr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Why not just go to a junkyard and get one? Yea you may have to make brackets and make sure it's good but seems to me it would work. Get a 2015 are so Tahoe Suburban heavy duty truck and it should have everything you need.
Because it won't get you what you need and it isn't worth the time. It won't have the correct lines and will come with fittings, lines, brackets, etc, that you'd have spend time removing.

As has been stated above, a great option is to just go to eBay and for about $40 someone will sell you a brand spanking new universal condenser in a size of your choosing.
bMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #33
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Parallel Flow Condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bMr View Post
Because it won't get you what you need and it isn't worth the time. It won't have the correct lines and will come with fittings, lines, brackets, etc, that you'd have spend time removing.

As has been stated above, a great option is to just go to eBay and for about $40 someone will sell you a brand spanking new universal condenser in a size of your choosing.
Maybe not to you, but if you know the right vehicles to look at it will. I like going through the junkyards and finding parts that I can make work. I don't mind doing the hunting of parts when I have the time.

My ramp truck will have a late model system installed in it and it will be 134 A with either a factory under dash unit are aftermarket one for cheap. I'm not going for high end here but for cheap and dependable.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #34
RichardJ

>>Maybe not to you, but if you know the right vehicles to look at it will. I like going through the junkyards and finding parts that I can make work.<<

Isn't that the question the OP was originally asking? So, what's your answer? What Parallel Flow fits?

Any junk yard selection or universal presents the same problems.

Selecting the correct width and height is just the start. Fabricating mounts is straight forward and very easy. The fittings aren't that much of a problem, because you are attaching flexible hoses. What is on the other end of those hoses is a different problem to be dealt with separately.

The real problem that is the most difficult to deal with is, which way the original fittings are pointed. How long are they? How many bends are in them? How high or low?
What has to be cut or moved in order to make connections, even with flexible hoses?
How big of a hole in the radiator support are you willing to cut to make it work?

I used a Parallel Flow from a Chrysler 300C. I had to cut one fitting off and TIG weld a different fitting that had different bends. I did this about 13 years ago and i wasn't aware at the time if any aftermarket direct-fit parallel flow was available.

My entire '67 system is from the junkyard, but I'm not about to recommend the same to anyone.

'89 and '94 Cad pusher fans on the '01 Chrysler condenser.
A 108* honda temp switch controls the '89 fan.
The 508 Sanden came from A mid '80s VW Cabriolet.
The Evap suitcase is a Automatic Climate Control unit from a '87 Lincoln Mark VII.

Using original I6 4-blade fan with no shroud.
The original 10DN Ex Reg Alternator is still being used.

The digital control is set at 71* winter and summer. Only when the Sun is beating directly on me through the glass for long periods do I drop the temp a couple degrees.

FAAbenny is correct. The condenser pictured above is the Piccolo Condenser.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #35
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Parallel Flow Condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>Maybe not to you, but if you know the right vehicles to look at it will. I like going through the junkyards and finding parts that I can make work.<<

Isn't that the question the OP was originally asking? So, what's your answer? What Parallel Flow fits?

Any junk yard selection or universal presents the same problems.

Selecting the correct width and height is just the start. Fabricating mounts is straight forward and very easy. The fittings aren't that much of a problem, because you are attaching flexible hoses. What is on the other end of those hoses is a different problem to be dealt with separately.

The real problem that is the most difficult to deal with is, which way the original fittings are pointed. How long are they? How many bends are in them? How high or low?
What has to be cut or moved in order to make connections, even with flexible hoses?
How big of a hole in the radiator support are you willing to cut to make it work?

I used a Parallel Flow from a Chrysler 300C. I had to cut one fitting off and TIG weld a different fitting that had different bends. I did this about 13 years ago and i wasn't aware at the time if any aftermarket direct-fit parallel flow was available.

My entire '67 system is from the junkyard, but I'm not about to recommend the same to anyone.

'89 and '94 Cad pusher fans on the '01 Chrysler condenser.
A 108* honda temp switch controls the '89 fan.
The 508 Sanden came from A mid '80s VW Cabriolet.
The Evap suitcase is a Automatic Climate Control unit from a '87 Lincoln Mark VII.

Using original I6 4-blade fan with no shroud.
The original 10DN Ex Reg Alternator is still being used.

The digital control is set at 71* winter and summer. Only when the Sun is beating directly on me through the glass for long periods do I drop the temp a couple degrees.

FAAbenny is correct. The condenser pictured above is the Piccolo Condenser.
If you look at my ac in my truck it's newer GM truck stuff. If he is posting about what will work then I assume he is willing to do some cutting and fitting to make it work. If not then forget it.
Why would you cut a fitting off to just tig weld another one on. The hoses can be adapted to fit each other. I didn't cut any of them off just had new hoses made which you have to do anyway even with a kit you have to make up the hoses.
Nothing is going to be a direct plug and play but with a little looking around in the yards you can find what you will need. The grille opening is big enough to make it happen.
My system is a junkyard pile of parts with new mixed in.
This system is 20+ years old and works great. I installed the orifice tube and 80's model condenser in the box and shot foam inside it to close up the gaps. I then used the accumulator and did away with the drier. Sight glass for 134A isn't neededed.

This fall I plan on collecting all the parts for the ramp truck to install in it and do a junkyard system for it also.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-11-2020, 08:19 PM   #36
truckeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
If you look at my ac in my truck it's newer GM truck stuff. If he is posting about what will work then I assume he is willing to do some cutting and fitting to make it work. If not then forget it.
Why would you cut a fitting off to just tig weld another one on. The hoses can be adapted to fit each other. I didn't cut any of them off just had new hoses made which you have to do anyway even with a kit you have to make up the hoses.
Nothing is going to be a direct plug and play but with a little looking around in the yards you can find what you will need. The grille opening is big enough to make it happen.
My system is a junkyard pile of parts with new mixed in.
This system is 20+ years old and works great. I installed the orifice tube and 80's model condenser in the box and shot foam inside it to close up the gaps. I then used the accumulator and did away with the drier. Sight glass for 134A isn't neededed.

This fall I plan on collecting all the parts for the ramp truck to install in it and do a junkyard system for it also.
what do you mean yo used the accumulator and did away with the drier-- your system does not use a receiver/drier?
truckeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #37
truckeez

anyhow, im just studying up on factory systems -converting to r134, --for my 67 Camaro convertible, im reproducing the BigBlock AC evaporator cases --because a small block one is worthless--you cannot even get the ps manifold off with the small block suitcase. the only stock stuff will be the under dash heater /ac duct box--and dash controls--that are basically the same as the 67-72 trucks and the small block evaporator core in a new BBC case, all new barrier hoses, and im studying either a nippondenso or some style of GENUINE sanden, not a cheap Chinese pos, a universal parallel flow condenser, poa updated thingee and a r134 expansion valve. Four Seasons ac parts are in my home town but I don't think they sell parts direct--they used to have a store in Ft worth off university 30 yrs back--factory air. I would not pay the markup for a --p-fcondenser from old air products or vintage air or any of the other specialty outfits because its markup-- 3 times what a universal one costs..
truckeez is offline   Reply With Quote