The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2023, 10:13 AM   #1
Frank_Zappa

Truck was in 4H for 130 Hwy miles but hubs were un-locked

Could I get you all's opinion on how bad did I mess up and what parts should I look at as probably damaged? 1971 K20 with stock drive train except for a lunchbox locker installed in the Dana 44 front axle. When the dirt road met the paved road I got out and turned the hubs from locked to free. Got back in and somehow thought I had shifted the NP205 transfer case from 4H to 2H but in reality it ended up in 4H and I drove home not realizing my mistake.

I should have known something was wrong because for the last 30 miles of the drive the truck started to make squeeking noises when it was rolling which got progressively louder as I drove. I thought "well that's weird, never done that before, got to look into that when we get home." Not getting the clue the K20 was giving me, HEY IDIOT YOUR NOT IN 2H AND WE ARE ON THE FREEWAY DUMMY.

So what parts do you guys think I should look at first because it only makes the squeeky noise when rolling and I prefer not to lay under the truck while it rolls by. I already feel dumb enough as it is.........
Frank_Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:39 AM   #2
cadillac_al

Re: Truck was in 4H for 130 Hwy miles but hubs were un-locked

It shouldn't hurt anything imo.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:40 AM   #3
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
It shouldn't hurt anything imo.
I agree. And will add, I often (on purpose) do the opposite and leave my front hubs locked so I can shift into 4wd without getting out. I do this during monsoon season.

j
Old 03-10-2023, 12:02 PM   #4
Frank_Zappa

Well I am going to get some grease in to all the universal joints to start with and maybe some of the sq-eek will go away. Even with a needle tip I have trouble getting to both the ones in the Cardan Joint.
Frank_Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 12:57 PM   #5
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Zappa View Post
Well I am going to get some grease in to all the universal joints to start with and maybe some of the sq-eek will go away. Even with a needle tip I have trouble getting to both the ones in the Cardan Joint.
That's what I was going to say. May have overheated the CV joint with lack of grease. Doesn't hurt to spin the d-shaft for a mile or every now and then to move the grease around, but the grease has to be present
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:17 PM   #6
Bigdav160

I've driven my 4x4 hundreds of freeway miles (bad weather) without giving it a second thought.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:27 AM   #7
cadillac_al

I usually remove the front driveshaft every couple years to give it a proper greasing. I can't get the double cardan while on the vehicle. They do squeak if they get dry.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:28 PM   #8
Short 3/4

Not sure if your year was still closed knuckle, but if so you actually want to drive it regularly with either the hubs locked and shifted into 2wd or hubs unlocked and shifter in 4wd. That is the only way to keep the upper bearings in the knuckle lubed properly. Also as you found out u-joints that aren’t used (and lubed) regularly don’t age well.
Locking hubs were invented well after modern 4wd systems and for many years were an option, so trucks like mine, which didn’t come with them from the factory drove around all day every day with the hubs “locked”. The opposite of what you did, but with the same result of the front diff and driveshaft constantly spinning.
Hope this all makes sense and helps
Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 02:34 PM   #9
Accelo

The reason for the "Do not drive on pavement with 4 wheel engaged" is the front outer U-joints are not constant velocity joints. It puts a lot of strain on the system when turning. Especially tight corners. Even with the hubs engaged, on the highway, it would have made little difference. Full time 4 wheel drive wasn't common till the CV joints were perfected.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 03:06 PM   #10
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
The reason for the "Do not drive on pavement with 4 wheel engaged" is the front outer U-joints are not constant velocity joints. It puts a lot of strain on the system when turning. Especially tight corners. Even with the hubs engaged, on the highway, it would have made little difference. Full time 4 wheel drive wasn't common till the CV joints were perfected.
On the other hand, if you drive it in 4WD with the hubs locked in a parking lot, you'll notice right away...
Old 04-02-2023, 03:51 PM   #11
Accelo

The only time I have noticed the dots on tires is on new OEM vehicles. However, I am sure their are others.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:49 PM   #12
Richard

The same D44/corporate front axle with no CV joints was used in the full time NP203 4WD trucks. These full-time trucks had no hubs. Just a puck that attached the axle to the wheel. The reason for not engaging 4wd on dry pavement is that there is no differential/clutch in the t-case. That is the main difference between AWD and 4WD. Front to rear speed needs to change as well as side to side.
I was thinking a good comparison would be running a spool in the differential on the street.

Last edited by Richard; 04-03-2023 at 01:56 AM. Reason: more information
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote