The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2023, 08:47 AM   #351
darkhorse970

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Awesome truck, I really love everything about it! Great job on the restoration!

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:53 AM   #352
cornerstone

The most comprehensive and thorough build I've ever seen. Well done.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:33 PM   #353
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks a bunch guys. 68, it's too bad we don't live closer, I think it would be very cool to help get your truck to your liking. Unbelievable snow incidentally, I can't believe it. Stopped snowing around midnight, but woke up to another blizzard and it's non-stop. About that US radiator, near as I can tell it's an only choice OER. It's super nice and the others are junk.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-05-2023 at 01:01 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 01:14 PM   #354
tutone

Amazing job Tony. I am a huge ochre fan too. I learned when I had mine, that the color was way more popular with men than it was with women. I'm sure the upholstery will turn out great .
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:40 PM   #355
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Results are in, the rebuilt transmission won't go into Reverse. That was done 2018. So carb tune and choke are still pending. The shop says trans is full and flow through the system.

I arranged for towing, but while we were )*^)ing around I asked what they thought of driving it home 6 miles. They were somethin' like, "I've been known to". Unregistered, no bumpers, untested. 27 year tires So it was a bad day. They pass on anything more than outside the transmission and pan. Old man says he can't recommend anyone, and it appeared I may have to pull the transmission............Oh NOOOOO! The shop that rebuilt the transmission won't R & R, and warranty is well expired. I wouldn't want to leave it there anyway, they have WAY too many employees for starts.

The shop guys dialing this in and I go back 50 years. Old man felt sorry for me I guess he asked a special favor of a transmission and ? shop 30 miles from here. I spoke to them, and it sounds like they've taken an oath of honor. Old man says don't tell them what to do, you'll piss them off and me too

Fluid is full and I'm 99.9% sure I installed the torque converter right. Three clicks and/or feels you're in, proven by an approx. 1/8" gap between the flex plate and converter with the bell housing mounted. Pull the converter forward and bolt it.

It's likely not the fluid, though perhaps I took a risk. While the trans. shop that rebuilt it recommends Dexron 4 only, I used Mobile Delvac Allison approved synthetic. I read it's the best for a fresh transmission, even rebuilds of old. So perhaps it's the governor, some rod, couldn't tell you.

Goes in Monday. What a money pit, I'll probably pay to have it hauled. Could rent a U hail trailer I suppose, and push it off, but its kind of a hassle. Really, I should just buy a trailer at this point.........Hmm.

About the drive home and such. Everything works so far but the fan blower is making noise. I'm little nervous about the resistor, because the connector in the new harness leaves much some to be desired. Sure, plug it in all the way if you can and break something. But I think it's just the the blower.

Beyond that this truck stinks badly, a real toxic smell, you figure that's all new finishes and crerekote especially? I didn't expect that, it's STRONG.

So not all bad, I just have to pull out another $1500ish and extend this BS till done, and figure out why the noise. I can't track it down anymore, the transmission is now leaking badly with the engine running, and the carb. isn't tuned anyway. Not sure why the leak beyond the pan gasket was leaking and was supposed to be replaced. No reason to do that now.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-07-2023 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:59 AM   #356
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Results are in, the rebuilt transmission won't go into Reverse. That was done 2018. So carb tune and choke are still pending. The shop says trans is full and flow through the system.

I arranged for towing, but while we were )*^)ing around I asked what they thought of driving it home 6 miles. They were somethin' like, "I've been known to". Unregistered, no bumpers, untested. 27 year tires So it was a bad day. They pass on anything more than outside the transmission and pan. Old man says he can't recommend anyone, and it appeared I may have to pull the transmission............Oh NOOOOO! The shop that rebuilt the transmission won't R & R, and warranty is well expired. I wouldn't want to leave it there anyway, they have WAY too many employees for starts.

The shop guys dialing this in and I go back 50 years. Old man felt sorry for me I guess he asked a special favor of a transmission and ? shop 30 miles from here. I spoke to them, and it sounds like they've taken an oath of honor. Old man says don't tell them what to do, you'll piss them off and me too

Fluid is full and I'm 99.9% sure I installed the torque converter right. Three clicks and/or feels you're in, proven by an approx. 1/8" gap between the flex plate and converter with the bell housing mounted. Pull the converter forward and bolt it.

It's likely not the fluid, though perhaps I took a risk. While the trans. shop that rebuilt it recommends Dexron 4 only, I used Mobile Delvac Allison approved synthetic. I read it's the best for a fresh transmission, even rebuilds of old. So perhaps it's the governor, some rod, couldn't tell you.

Goes in Monday. What a money pit, I'll probably pay to have it hauled. Could rent a U hail trailer I suppose, and push it off, but its kind of a hassle. Really, I should just buy a trailer at this point.........Hmm.

About the drive home and such. Everything works so far but the fan blower is making noise. I'm little nervous about the resistor, because the connector in the new harness leaves much some to be desired. Sure, plug it in all the way if you can and break something. But I think it's just the the blower.

Beyond that this truck stinks badly, a real toxic smell, you figure that's all new finishes and crerekote especially? I didn't expect that, it's STRONG.

So not all bad, I just have to pull out another $1500ish and extend this BS till done, and figure out why the noise. I can't track it down anymore, the transmission is now leaking badly with the engine running, and the carb. isn't tuned anyway. Not sure why the leak beyond the pan gasket was leaking and was supposed to be replaced. No reason to do that now.
Your experience is why I do almost everything myself. My research and ability is usually better than anything I can pay for at this point. The transmission in my 2000 C2500 obtained from my old boss for money owed failed at about 6k. Rebuild was $3,500, out of warranty at 5k and they will do nothing about it. Lasted almost 200k stock.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:13 PM   #357
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Golly I'm in 4K for a transmission counting towing. I don't know which is worse compared to 2K for just a radiator counting towing as well. I'm probably in too close to 7K in do-overs.

The shop for the first rebuild filed down the reverse pin or something like, so it wouldn't engage. The new shop said perhaps that was done with the thought it would smooth out reverse, but regardless they messed up. The new shop said they had to replace the converter as well, and installed "something more heavy duty". They threw a rebuild kit at it, installed the Moroso gasket and ARP bolts, and said yes, the Allison approved fluid I'm using in the transmission is a good choice. Nice shop, great work, they R&R the transmission scratch-free to the tune of $1700.

Truck runs rougher than I'd like, but the next stop is for carb. tune and divorce choke. Then to a shop for alignment followed by an A/C charge. From there I get to install the grilles, and the bumpers I haven't selected yet. Came home from the shop to find my bench seat cover arrived, it's the exact material as it was new, wow. $900+ gets the same, and this one was ordered about 1 year ago.

I've developed a kit for how to build these from the ground up. The primary document is a 68 page assembly guide packed tight with details. The kit's nearly done pending installation of what remains. It's easier to say what it doesn't include. It doesn't go into the core of things short assembling drive shafts, oil pump, timing chain and some etcetera's. In other terms, it doesn't describe how to rebuild an engine, transmission, steering box etc. The document also doesn't ramble on like my posts☺, it's short and sweet with a rhythm to it.

Some background, I wrote business and system processes for many years. Other then research, the hard part was figuring out what everything was called; because all of this was new to me. At any rate, this document is the best I've written. Perhaps 1000s of original part numbers and identifications are captured by the guide and a document with part numbers. It includes approx. 650 images and illustrations as well.

I'm selling copies of the kit for $42.50, but heck, for board members let's say $32.50. If you're interested, you'll see that's money well spent, too many hours went into the development and research. More time was spent on that than building the truck itself.

Here's a Facebook page sampling some of the kit. Anyway, please let me know if interested. The kit will be ready by June. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100091294598717
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2023, 03:12 PM   #358
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Golly I'm in 4K for a transmission counting towing. I don't know which is worse compared to 2K for just a radiator counting towing as well. I'm probably in too close to 7K in do-overs.

The shop for the first rebuild filed down the reverse pin or something like, so it wouldn't engage. The new shop said perhaps that was done with the thought it would smooth out reverse, but regardless they messed up. The new shop said they had to replace the converter as well, and installed "something more heavy duty". They threw a rebuild kit at it, installed the Moroso gasket and ARP bolts, and said yes, the Allison approved fluid I'm using in the transmission is a good choice. Nice shop, great work, they R&R the transmission scratch-free to the tune of $1700.

Truck runs rougher than I'd like, but the next stop is for carb. tune and divorce choke. Then to a shop for alignment followed by an A/C charge. From there I get to install the grilles, and the bumpers I haven't selected yet. Came home from the shop to find my bench seat cover arrived, it's the exact material as it was new, wow. $900+ gets the same, and this one was ordered about 1 year ago.

I've developed a kit for how to build these from the ground up. The primary document is a 68 page assembly guide packed tight with details. The kit's nearly done pending installation of what remains. It's easier to say what it doesn't include. It doesn't go into the core of things short assembling drive shafts, oil pump, timing chain and some etcetera's. In other terms, it doesn't describe how to rebuild an engine, transmission, steering box etc. The document also doesn't ramble on like my posts☺, it's short and sweet with a rhythm to it.

Some background, I wrote business and system processes for many years. Other then research, the hard part was figuring out what everything was called; because all of this was new to me. At any rate, this document is the best I've written. Perhaps 1000s of original part numbers and identifications are captured by the guide and a document with part numbers. It includes approx. 650 images and illustrations as well.

I'm selling copies of the kit for $42.50, but heck, for board members let's say $32.50. If you're interested, you'll see that's money well spent, too many hours went into the development and research. More time was spent on that than building the truck itself.

Here's a Facebook page sampling some of the kit. Anyway, please let me know if interested. The kit will be ready by June. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100091294598717
im going to have to have your kit I have 2 to finish and lord knows that are easier to take apart then to re assemble I have lots of pictures and labeled zip lock bags....additionally the aging process ...why did I go out to the garage syndrome is kicking in..... so count me in ...always nice to have another reference to verify
thanks for your efforts. lmk when available
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:40 PM   #359
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
im going to have to have your kit I have 2 to finish and lord knows that are easier to take apart then to re assemble I have lots of pictures and labeled zip lock bags....additionally the aging process ...why did I go out to the garage syndrome is kicking in..... so count me in ...always nice to have another reference to verify
thanks for your efforts. lmk when available
Noted and I will, thank you. You're telling me parts everywhere. Only benefit to smoking and knowing those who do are cigarette packs. I had hundreds of these, and that wasn't even for parts to finish. Somehow I'm about done and still have a hundred or so Nice to have extras.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2023, 10:33 PM   #360
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Came across this tonight "by accident". Kind of cool
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2023, 10:47 PM   #361
Getter-Done

Great Info
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:25 AM   #362
68bowtie

Wow cool. Is that 1972 truck specific?

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:10 PM   #363
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
Wow cool. Is that 1972 truck specific?
I don't think so. I searched for a 71 wheel and this came up. Did the codes change often? Seems they wouldn't.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:38 PM   #364
68bowtie

Awesome. Good point, I bet they didn’t change “much” aside from new options that came later.

Old 05-03-2023, 11:50 PM   #365
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Good day today, my A/C is charged. Kind of cool, I've owned the truck 34 years and the A/C hasn't been operational until today.

One thing I learned from building this truck is best to save as many o-rings as possible for last, at least in this climate. They had to replace all the AC o-rings, I had a feeling they would, the a/c was built a year or so ago. I greased the rings and tighten everything snug, figuring to let the experts tighten the nuts. Oh well. $450 on top I don't know, 3K to restore the rest of the AC from the evap core to condenser.

Polished these up today too, they came out super I was going to replace the decals, but one is as good as new; the other has mileage I can live with. Trying to decide on tires, the painter has the wheels and caps are ready. Leaning on these but kind of expensive.
https://www.performanceplustire.com/...1:ts:23575-15/

Did I mention I have a 4th radiator to install yet? Yeah I'm pretty good at it now Yeah sure, the first two were junk. Then what you'd expect to be a nice one leaked, and after installing their replacement I realized they installed the filler WRONG, wtf? Cap jacked up the finish on a radiator bracket, so WTH, now I have two sets of upper radiator brackets to have powdered somehow, another do-over, gross. My FIFTH attempt at a radiator is currently being built, they promise the A-team this time

My bumpers are in Fresno, I'm crossing my fingers. $1700ish. Other then that the seat is pending, door cosmetics and flooring are pending that, and I'll install the grilles someday, declare her done.

Oh yeah, speak of radiator brackets, for curiosity and another option, I bought a pair of NOS upper brackets. Part number matches the book. I had to bend the bracket's top nearest the shroud quite a bit, almost flat. The brackets come raised, and miss the shroud's holes by 3/8" or so, - same for reproductions. I don't get it beyond it's a great fit all the way around to bend them right. If that's what the factory was working with, then that could explain why so many shrouds were fitted wrong. At least for BBC, probably 4-row radiators (A/C), where many were struck by the fan at the bottom because they were off the bottom clips. The original shrouds don't lie, but the brackets sure seem too, at least for a 4 row radiator. Heck, the factory didn't even install one of my lower brackets right. 4 row requires a simple mod of the core support, but they only did one side.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-04-2023 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:05 AM   #366
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Ever so close. I'm excited to see her get to the finish line. Can only imagine how you're feeling. Continued kudos on outstanding work.
1946 B.F. Avery Model A Tractor http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post8292555

"Sometimes I wonder if zander208 was even real..."
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 12:48 AM   #367
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCanine View Post
Ever so close. I'm excited to see her get to the finish line. Can only imagine how you're feeling. Continued kudos on outstanding work.
Thank you. I never expected this to be an 8-year deal

I forgot to mention, the A/C shop's owner took a look at my truck and then pulled the cover off his 68 Roadrunner 426, OMG original parts, and very clean. Not exactly a full restoration, a lot doesn't need it, the car speaks for itself.

I wish I asked to take a picture of the engine bay, mint and so impressive. I have to say an original BBC engine bay is a beautiful thing, but wow, that 426, with no A/C is basically a tremendous BLOCK with nothing but simple all the way around. Short the duel injecting carb business, I don't have a clue. He bought it from a guy who has 11 426 passenger cars.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:06 AM   #368
68bowtie

What’s happening with bumpers in Fresno? Chrome plating used OEM?

Also, what’s the goal with the radiator, are you having it (them) rebuilt so they are original?

Those tires are awesome. I like a little wider stripe, but I’m sure you’re going for whatever is closest to original.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:42 AM   #369
mr.mud1

hi Tony,great work,beautiful truck and off-the-chart attention to detail.i feel for you with all this rad trouble.wished we were closer,i'd build you a rad and it wouldn't take 5 attempts?you've built an amazing truck.you must be very proud.good for you.can't wait to see what you build next?
take care.all the best.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:37 AM   #370
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thank you.

Yeah the OEM bumpers are being replated. Some places in Ca. still do triple plating, apparently. Place is called Moreno's Chrome. I hauled them to Fresno last week.

I may run with the 3/4" white wall instead of the 3/8". I was looking at Coker tires, but it would seem they're no longer built well. Folks seem real happy with Diamond Backs.

First radiator from Summit had bad transmission fittings, and really wasn't worth a dang to begin with. I never should have installed it. Second from Speedway was full of loose welds, I only installed it temporarily to run new transmission lines. 3rd came from US Radiator, it leaked. 4th from them has the filler in the wrong spot, they're sending another. US Radiators are heavy, look, and generally fit like OEM.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:02 PM   #371
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Threw the grille on today, it's been a long time coming. The outer has been wall decor the last 7 years. Inner was shot, sanded, shot again and a clear coat, needless to say it's much heavier now. Took longer than I thought of course, nylon clips have to be sanded just right. My assistant, really vise versa, he's body and paint guy dropped these wheels off today. Tires due "in a month", bumpers due "call back in two weeks", upholstery & flooring is supposed to call. Other then that and a few decals it's done. I ended up choosing these tires. Diamondback 235-75-15.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2023, 11:47 PM   #372
68bowtie

I’m guessing August 21st all that is final. That’s still a lot of waiting…

Old 06-04-2023, 06:48 AM   #373
Getter-Done

Nice Work

You have an Over the Top build.

So you recommend US Radiator?

They are about 3 hours from me.
I may get my next radiator from them.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 12:28 AM   #374
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Nice Work

You have an Over the Top build.

So you recommend US Radiator?

They are about 3 hours from me.
I may get my next radiator from them.
I don't know if I can recommend them. First one failed. Second one is great, but they put the filler on wrong and the cap barely squeezes by the radiator bracket. They said they were sending me a 3rd one built by the A team. No sign of it, but really, I'm just as well to keep what I got. That said, if I had to buy another new one, US Radiator seems to be my best option.

These wheels were on this truck 26 years ago, until today. It had 15x8 Rallys, which I'll restore as another option, but the truck drives far and away better on the original wheels and good tires. Tires are Diamondback Auburn. Bumpers are due to be finished Friday. Other then that, still waiting on a call for upholstery and flooring.

Edit, I still had to install the correct valve stem cap yet I bought some brass valve stems, but darn, wrong fit. The old man had some nice stems though, really, probably closer to original, which have a "clear" finish.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-06-2023 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:29 AM   #375
68bowtie

Looks amazing with the wheels all together