The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Ricky78045

Question Bypass air pollution pump

Hey guys I'm relatively new here so I didn't know where to put this thread, so here I am. I have a 1988 silverado 5.7l 350 and I bypassed the A.I.R. Pollution pump pulley long time ago. Now what I wanted to know was... What do I need to remove, do I still need the pollution canister? What hoses can I remove. I want to make the engine compartment look cleaner and don't want anything that I don't need if I bypassed the air pollution pump. Let me know, any comments or help will be greately appreciated.

1988 Chevrolet Silverado Single Cab, Short bed, 350, 5.7L: daily driver/on a budget restoration
Ricky78045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
60ratrod
yes, i do

Re: Bypass air pollution pump

well one thing that you are gonna need to know is the emissions laws in your part of texas. now while some vehicles didn't have the smog pumps and air injection systems, its always good to know what the laws are there.

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
Ricky78045

Well as of right now there isn't a smog test here in my part of Texas, only requiremen is a muffler that drops 3 inches past the cabin or something like that, they don't do sniffer tests.. Cuz if they did..... Lol the whole city would be in trouble " I'm in the border with Mexico, and most people here aren't as careful with their cars as most" I drove behind a 2000 minivan.... Pitch black smoke, my trucks an 88 and it has some white smoke when I floor it... That's cuz anti-freeze is leaking into the intake manifold through the heater core connector, that's another story . But I've asked 3 cops in my neighborhood and they said that as long as I have a muffler.. I'm set. I removed the air pollution pump pulley long time ago... And I've taken my baby to mechanics that I believe stole parts from me but I want to remove anything that isn't needed, I see a small vaccumm hose that connects to the air pump to the throttle body, when I disconnect it, the engine sounds like it's idleing alot faster... No clue. But if u have any info that might help me rod, that would be great

1988 Chevrolet Silverado Single Cab, Short bed, 350, 5.7L: daily driver/on a budget restoration
Ricky78045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
60ratrod
yes, i do

well the hose that you have running to the air pump to your throttle body, you can disconnect that. but make sure that you cap off that vac port or your truck will idle high, acting like it has a vac leak which you essentually do if you pull that line off and don't plug the port. as far as the rest, i would look at another truck that doesn't have an air pump or get the vac line routing diagram for one that doesn't have an air pump. looking at the other truck and the diagram will give you a better idea as to what goes where and what can be taken out. post some photos of the engine compartment and maybe someone else here can help out too by saying this line can go or that line needs to go here and what not. welcome to the boards btw

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote