The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #1
koleecreek

Board Noob and Chevy Noob

Greetings. I'm new to the board and also new to Chevy ownership. I've had a couple Dodge pickups, and a couple Fords. Most recently got rid of the dreaded 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel. I've never really been die-hard brand loyal to pickups, I always just went with what I liked. I've always loved these old classic Chevy and GMC trucks and I just picked up a 1970 K10 with a recently rebuilt 350 from a motor shop here in Oregon. It is in great shape with only minor surface rust in some spots. The bed has a couple of small rusted-out areas, but in a few years that won't be an issue. The truck has a C10 logo on it so I thought somebody added the 4-wheel drive along the way. In checking the vin, the first character is "K" which I've come to find out means it's actually a K10. Glad about that. Anyway, I'm having an issue with the front brakes which were converted to discs at least 10 years ago. The guy I bought it from had it for ten years and said he always had the same issue. When I bought it last week, the main issue is when the wheel is turned to the extreme left or right, the caliper and brake line are contacting the collar which causes the shoes to release which causes the brake pedal to go to the floor until I pump it back up. I am not much of a mechanic, but have a feeling I will be by the time this truck is finished. I instilled the help of my brother and we put new pads on it. The right side were nearly gone and the left looked nearly new. Looking at the issue we noticed that the bump stops were welded in place. Since changing the pads, the issue only occurs on hard left turns now and not on rights. Additionally, when driving down a straight stretch I applied the brakes and it pulls hard left. I flushed the old nasty brake fluid the other day and it's got clean juice in the pipes now. The calipers are both Delco, but are stamped differently so I'm guessing they came from different vehicles. We were thinking the easy fix would be to cut the weld on the bump stops and install longer ones to prevent the contact in the first place. This won't address the hard pull though. I also noticed that the lid for the master cylinder seems to be just a hair big and the master cylinder appears like it's leaked for a long time. It just spills out slowly. Is there a different master cylinder I should go with since the rears are still drums and require less fluid and a smaller reservoir? I know that's a lot, but just looking for some knowledged brake dudes out there.
Thanks.
Attached Images

koleecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #2
koleecreek

Re: Board Noob and Chevy Noob

Bump stop
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
koleecreek

Right side
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 04:08 AM   #4
koleecreek

Hood up
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #5
koleecreek

Side
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 04:11 AM   #6
koleecreek

Interior
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Husker

Nice truck, Welcome Have fun.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
leftybass209

Welcome! Nice truck and you certainly came to the right place! I'm not a knowledgeable 4wd guy but there's a lot of guys here who are! You're in a wealth of knowledge for any of your questions.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
sean1969c10

Sounds like you have a pass side caliper sticking. You should really consider replacing both calipers and the hoses, just for safety sake. I am a firm believer in an ounce of prevention, especially when it comes to your brakes. I would also replace the master cylinder if the lid doesn't seal up. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air and looses it's effectiveness. Oh by the way, nice score on your K10, looks like a really great truck to have fun with. Good Luck!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"

1960 Chevy Impala Sedan - my 25 year search is over!!
1969 C-10 longbed - Nice day DD
1970 Chevy Nova - Street and Strip Project
2002 Acura MDX my DD
2007 Honda Odssey - My Wife's "Mommy Van"
sean1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
koleecreek

Thanks Sean, I was thinking that as well. Any recommendations on which calipers since it isn't original equipment?
Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
sean1969c10

More than likely they are just later model K series calipers but I'm just guessing.

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"

1960 Chevy Impala Sedan - my 25 year search is over!!
1969 C-10 longbed - Nice day DD
1970 Chevy Nova - Street and Strip Project
2002 Acura MDX my DD
2007 Honda Odssey - My Wife's "Mommy Van"
sean1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote