The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
Eightball1978

Roaring

Hello I've been away from the forum for awhile,I suffered a head injury and I'm just getting back to my C10 addiction.(I tried a patch but it was mopar)
The other day I noticed a hint of a vibration and quiet roar,I assumed it was hanger bearing and greased it but wasnt it. So yesterday I drove the truck to try and figure it out but it stopped roaring and went straight to grinding,luckily I was just a block away. I frared the worst when I pulled the inspection plate the image is what I saw,I re tightened the pinion nut & the noise is gone. I don't know much about rear diffs should I replace the crush seal? Or Will that even help? Truck is a 1972 C10 Highlander edition, and the ration is (I'm guessing) is close to a 3:73. I've had probably a hundred car/trucks never seen this before.
I would appreciate any info. Thanks guyshttps://photos.app.goo.gl/n4LziVmh5qAySfGY8
BTW ive had the truck since 2015 and I think it has happened b4 cause the grooves look deeper than if it had just happened.
Eightball1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Roaring

First of all, welcome back.

Can you post a picture of what you're talking about? Was the noise primarily under acceleration, under deceleration, or at a steady speed?
Old 12-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
Jason Banks

Here's the link for the photo he posted.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n4LziVmh5qAySfGY8
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
Jason Banks

Looks like the pinion nut came loose allowing the pinion gear to rub on the carrier inside the rear end. Maybe someone knowledgeable about rear ends can comment on what repairs might be needed after something like this happens. OP stated they tightened the pinion nut and the noise went away. But what are the long term problems?
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #5
AussieinNC

That looks nasty....

I would be concerned about metal dust contamination throughout the entire rear axle unit....

IMO....the rear end needs to come out and be fully rebuilt with new bearings, crush sleeves and seals....as a safety mechanism, I always use Red Loctite on a NEW pinion nut after I get the preload values correct....

You may be able to just get away with a new nut and loctite, but it really needs to come out and be done correctly....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
That looks nasty....

I would be concerned about metal dust contamination throughout the entire rear axle unit....

IMO....the rear end needs to come out and be fully rebuilt with new bearings, crush sleeves and seals....as a safety mechanism, I always use Red Loctite on a NEW pinion nut after I get the preload values correct....

You may be able to just get away with a new nut and loctite, but it really needs to come out and be done correctly....

Yup. When one considers how fast parts wear out in a diff when they are only a little out of kilter, this has disaster written all over it, unless the diff gets put in a junk yard dog that doesn't go anywhere. Then it'll last until the second coming.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #7
truckster

The pinion bearing definitely needs to be replaced at a minimum. You're driving a grenade with the pin pulled...
Old 12-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
maverickmk

What everyone said, it's eating itself. Rebuilding it from the ground up is what is needed.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
randy500
Account Suspended

I have tightened up dozens of loose pinion nuts and then drove them. Its not the best fix but should be fine depending on bearing condition etc.
drive it and see what happens, the bearings are more durable than you think.
Now if your hauling heavy loads or have to have it 100% then rebuild the rear end. If the bearings are bad it would make noise even with the tightened up pinion nut.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote