The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2024, 02:16 AM   #276
Richard

Re: Restomod 72 K10 "Good Memories"

Tried my best to get it all done today. Was tired and saved rest for another day. While my idea seemed simple, install was a bit more time consuming than I anticipated. Drivers side is done. Passenger powered arm is installed and all pieces cut/trimmed. Drill 4 holes for idler arm, install and install step. Regarding the hardware I needed 1/4" longer bolts for the pinch weld mount point because of 4 degree shims and I was shorted the motor mount screws for one of the motors. While not 100% concealed. I think the steps tuck up nicely when parked and I can live with it. Steps offer almost 8" lower entry point. Last pic contains model # of steps I used. Feel free to ask any questions about install.
Attached Images

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:12 AM   #277
D.B

Fantastic build, you are doing a great job. I wonder if you could powder coat the bolt heads the same color of blue so they blend in with the pinch weld.
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 01:53 AM   #278
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B View Post
Fantastic build, you are doing a great job. I wonder if you could powder coat the bolt heads the same color of blue so they blend in with the pinch weld.
Thank you for the comments. The bolt heads do stand out quite a bit. My plan was to brush touch them with same activated paint that is on the truck.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:31 AM   #279
Richard

Passenger step is done, had today off. Completed taxes this morning for us and Mother in Law as well. Sorry, no pics. Looks like other side just opposite. Forgot to take pics of the rivet nuts I installed for upper mounting point on last arm. Van is almost finished at body shop and I have tomorrow off as well. May start on seat install tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:06 AM   #280
Richard

Ironed out what I am doing to mount the 60/40 bench today. Was going to build a new frame that attached to the existing holes in truck and modify seat brackets. It sat so well on the floor, the new frame just seemed like a lot of work for no gain. I modified the 60 section inner bracket to sit on the floor. Will drill 8 new holes in floor. On the underside I will run 4 each 3/16" x 1 1/2" flat bar front to back with nuts welded onto flat bar. Will be a strong mounting IMO.
While I had the welder out I made a small change to the gas pedal bracket purchased from HartRod. Cut in half and rewelded with pedal mount side at a slight angle. This raised the pedal about 3/4"
Going to drop off seats at upholsterer maybe this week. Been dragging my feet as he wants a lot to do it. Several have recommended and my boss has known him for years. But.....his price is A LOT and I have all the fabric. We have a sewing machine at the shop and I probably can do it. Just would be more time working on something else for me though. Attached a few pics for your entertainment.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2024, 12:33 PM   #281
nsiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Tried my best to get it all done today. Was tired and saved rest for another day. While my idea seemed simple, install was a bit more time consuming than I anticipated. Drivers side is done. Passenger powered arm is installed and all pieces cut/trimmed. Drill 4 holes for idler arm, install and install step. Regarding the hardware I needed 1/4" longer bolts for the pinch weld mount point because of 4 degree shims and I was shorted the motor mount screws for one of the motors. While not 100% concealed. I think the steps tuck up nicely when parked and I can live with it. Steps offer almost 8" lower entry point. Last pic contains model # of steps I used. Feel free to ask any questions about install.
Hi and thanks for bringing your step install to my attention, it looks great!

How many 4 degree shims do you think I would need for a similar install on my '72 Suburban?

Cheers,
Nick
nsiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 07:20 PM   #282
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiti View Post
Hi and thanks for bringing your step install to my attention, it looks great!

How many 4 degree shims do you think I would need for a similar install on my '72 Suburban?

Cheers,
Nick
Same as my install, 8. Two per linkage arm. Maybe someone has a better solution than the axle shims? Used them because they were readily available, no fabrication and fairly cheap.
Old 03-07-2024, 02:02 PM   #283
nsiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Same as my install, 8. Two per linkage arm. Maybe someone has a better solution than the axle shims? Used them because they were readily available, no fabrication and fairly cheap.
Thanks, any material preference for the shims? I see some in aluminum, steel, and zinc coated steel. They may be for different applications like leveling springs or pinion vs axle. Is strength preferable over corrosion resistance? Aluminum is going to weather better but is typically less durable.
nsiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 01:22 AM   #284
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiti View Post
Thanks, any material preference for the shims? I see some in aluminum, steel, and zinc coated steel. They may be for different applications like leveling springs or pinion vs axle. Is strength preferable over corrosion resistance? Aluminum is going to weather better but is typically less durable.
I used aluminum, easier to drill, cut, etc. They are used on axles, stress of the steps will be no problem. The Amp steps and linkage arms are made of aluminum as well.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:30 PM   #285
Richard

One last look at the 94 grey 60/40 before the redo. Dropped them off today. The blue tape gives a hint of what I am thinking about. Materials to be used are blue vinyl and blue highlander cloth. I also purchased some seat heaters which will be installed in the seats.
Picked up my A/C box from the shop on the way back. Brad was going to shoot some clear on Friday so I sanded the box down and had him shoot it. Not sure if I like the gloss, may re-shoot with matte. I do like that the original plastic material is visible.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2024, 03:04 AM   #286
Richard

Back in black. A few days ago I sprayed the interior with a couple of cans of the Lizard skin top coat. The ceramic coating was not easy to clean and was not real durable. The $30 was worth it to me to make the situation better.
The firewall insulation piece from Quiet Ride should be here this week so I can finish heat and air box installation.
I started the wiring install. Bit done with the AAW fuse box and dash harness can be seen in the pics. Will wrap the whole harness with the cloth style tape when done. Changes may be needed so way to early for that.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2024, 08:56 PM   #287
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Cool! I just discovered this post. I'll look into making a visit. I guess I could hold something while you work on it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 02:07 AM   #288
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Cool! I just discovered this post. I'll look into making a visit. I guess I could hold something while you work on it.
Good to hear from you again Steven. With my back feeling like it is going out again, Maybe I can hold the parts and you can work on the truck It is nice to be working on the truck again. I plan to use all the opportunity's I have available this year to "get er done" Stuff arrived today. Need to get it on the truck.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:14 AM   #289
Richard

Put the cowl insulation on and got the drivers firewall insulator in place. The molded plastic pieces are much nicer than the cardboard tar paper ones. The center section is left loose as I need to see if the engine harness will work going through the clutch rod hole, I think it will.
Both of the stock heater cores I had in hand were leakers. Went to the local radiator shop today and it is gone, the owner passed away. Found another in the valley and they had no interest in repairing.
The replacement core I purchased from Classic parts matched the thinner version of the cores (almost) so I was able to use those shorter mounting brackets.
Had no idea there were different cores? All set to put in now, new teflon lined heat-A/C control cables are on the way. Control and radio just put in to see.
Core on the right is the new one in the picture. I will probably try to repair the old cores myself at some time with some sil-floss brazing material. Used to braze copper all the time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 03-22-2024 at 01:23 AM.