The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2021, 01:42 AM   #1
rough69

Any fix for radio size mismatch?

Hi there, long time no post

Just picked up a '71 GMC and it has what I'm assuming is a common radio size mismatch on the older shaft mounts.

The dash is uncut original 1971 but the radio is some 80's Realistic radio Shack brand and the shafts are just laying there because it is narrower than the original GMC deck and the face of the deck is a smaller rectangle than the factory opening.

Is there a plate or something I can buy aftermarket to maybe bolt to the shafts here and take up the gap everywhere?

Sorry for the bad photo
Attached Images

rough69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:10 AM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Any fix for radio size mismatch?

Back in the Late '70s I drilled out an OEM Radio Delete Plate to mount a Sanyo cassette stereo receiver. They are hard to find now, but you can use any panel that approximate size. Aluminum, painted or wire brushed, with a cut-out for the dial head, and 2 - 1'' diam holes with a hole saw, for the shafts. Or thick vinyl, or lacquered luan plywood.
Some after market stereo players had adjustable widths for setting the control shafts, too.
Does the unit work?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Those radios came with a front plate that did that.
Most radios have the capability to adjust the control shafts wider. Post a picture of the front of the radio and we can see if yours does.
If you post the dimensions of the center part and the control shaft locations in relation to the center I will look to see if I have an old plate for you in my box of old radio stuff.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:29 PM   #4
rough69

'68O - I did see those delete plates online but they were pretty pricey!

HO455 - Can't thank you enough for the help, I figured it would have came with a plate, way back I had a K5 that had a similar early Pioneer shaft mount that did.

The unit works great, just has no knobs or faceplate piece. the center square is 3 5/8" x 1 5/8" and the spacing on the shafts center to center is 5.75"

Here's a much better photo.
Attached Images

rough69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough69 View Post
I found the first one inside my passenger side door. It was in the same factory 516 Orange as the rest of the truck. Not imagining it would have any greater value 30-something years later, I cut into it and spraycanned it with krinkle-black -- the cat's meow then for dash components. Still have the part somewhere, but the Sanyo AM/FM Cassette Recorder bit the dust from constant abuse. [Yes, I could record from On Air broadcasts, if I was quick enough on the draw, and didn't mind overdubbing the tape.]
I picked up a couple more Delete Plates 15 or 20 years ago, when they were running for about $10 each. Before that, they were the right size to fit in your Levis back pocket at the junkyard, so unofficially ''free.''
Doesn't look like your radio has the adjustable spacing shafts.
Good thing HO455 has you covered. Good man.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Those radios came with a front plate that did that.
Most radios have the capability to adjust the control shafts wider. Post a picture of the front of the radio and we can see if yours does.
If you post the dimensions of the center part and the control shaft locations in relation to the center I will look to see if I have an old plate for you in my box of old radio stuff.
It looks like the radio does have adjustable shafts.
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:44 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough69 View Post

HO455 - Can't thank you enough for the help, I figured it would have came with a plate, way back I had a K5 that had a similar early Pioneer shaft mount that did.

The unit works great, just has no knobs or faceplate piece. the center square is 3 5/8" x 1 5/8" and the spacing on the shafts center to center is 5.75"

Here's a much better photo.
Sorry to say this but, I'm not going to be much help. The smallest center square cutout I have is 4 1/4" wide. I don't think that is going to look very good around your 3 5/8" radio.
I've had luck finding old radio stuff at swap meets and flea markets.
You might post a want to buy ad and get lucky that way.
I should mention that you will need to up your membership to the premium level to post a want to buy ad.
Good luck!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 09-11-2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added last line.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #8
pwdcougar

You know if you are into woodworking you could make up a wood cover plate. I'd make two plates one of metal to go behind the dash and one the same size out of wood as a decorative outer plate. Then you could sandwich the radio between the inner plate the dash and the outer plate. Drill two holes for the knobs and cut out a rectangle for the center part. It looks like there is enough meat on the shafts to use maybe wood that is 1/4" thick.

Paul

Edit: maybe you wont need the backing plate just slip large fender washers on first.
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote