The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

Suggestion - how to find a Suburban

Hello,

I've been using Google Alerts and I put in the keywords "1972 Suburban" and "1972 Chevrolet Suburban" etc. This is how I found mine (although it was also listed here at for forum, under the for sale area - but I hadn't check there yet). I'm sure many of you know about this already - and of course there are many other ways to find a vehicle - national Craig's List searches and such. If interested just do a search for Google Alerts...easy to set up (of course you can get a alerts for something other than Suburbans...but why would you want to do that? )

TT
eyebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Monte Carlo Man

Re: Suggestion - how to find a Suburban

I don't like Craig's list or Ebay for the simple reason that the person selling the vehicle can misrepresent the vehicle and not get into any trouble.
My opinion is that the people who owns it, thinks that they have a prize.
The first ones that goes for sale are usually either basket cases or a pretty nice piece. You don't know until you travel to look for it.
I once drove 7 hours to look at a car that a relative bought off a auction online and when I got there the car had no brakes and the battery was dead and the engine didn't sound like it would make it home.
The auction said that the car was roadworthy and all you had to do was come and get it. That was a long 7 hour drive home and the customer never again asked us to go get a car for him.
I think that he was probably better off passing on that vehicle because if it had apparent problems - even before he bought it, just think of all the hidden problems that would have surfaced on the way home.

There are some good used Sub's in Pennsylvania, but you either have to pay top dollar or you have to put more work into it then what it is worth.

My opinion is that if you bought one from someplace like Oklahoma, where there is no rust and no road salt and no sea water then you can find one that will only need some body work and some rubber mounts and bushings replaced and put a new motor / transmission into it and you would be further ahead then having to rebuilt the entire body structure.

Forum members could probably point you in the right direction.

There is a guy about 25 miles down the road from me that has a junk yard with a couple of nice burbs in it and he has ones that he drives. It would probably be possible to buy one off him that was already done or one that just needed work, easier then trying to find one out in some farmers field.
Monte Carlo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
draggingframe01

Monte, what junk yard are you referring to?
draggingframe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Burb
Coordinator of Synchronicity

Oddly enough I found mine in the "Truck Trader" ... it was meant to be tho ... they had printed the wrong area code on the ad, and knowing Fort Worth prefixes tried that area code and the guy said you know you are the only person to call on this truck, so after I decided to buy it ... I told him why, funny part, he was a used car salesman

1971 Suburban ... W.I.P. Build Thread
Customization is ones personal touch-- not what other people think it should be

Last edited by Burb; 09-01-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
eyebuzz
Licensed driver

There's no doubt you have to look at the vehicle first hand. I was using the Google Alerts to see what was out there...now that I'm all set I've left it running - so two or three times a day I get an email with different "1972 Suburban" links - you see some pretty cool stuff (and some funky stuff too) and if gives you an idea of prices.
eyebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
1956cameo

I search Craigslist, google searches, Ebay, local classifieds, hemmings, auto trader, 67-72chevytrucks.com, and ask everyone that has an old truck. So far the only routes that have brought any success have been Craigslist, Ebay, and the 67-72 truck forum we are on!

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote