The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Kawtoom

Cam knowlege plz.

Hey guys,

I just inherited a 400 small block and I'm going to freshen it up, shove a nasty cam in it and stick it in my 69 longhorn. (the 396 was plucked out long before I got the truck and the current 283 isn't doing so hot)

The purpose of the engine build will be to make a fun Street and stoplight racer. Just a fun head Turner. And next summer I'll put 5-8psi on it through a single turbo, nothing crazy.

Here is what I can give you about the engine, I don't pick it up until the 29th so I don't have a casting number yet. But I do know it's a 2 bolt, pre 1986, "junkyard purchased" 400.

I plan on doing ARP Rod, main, and headstud bolts, boring it to a 406 and balancing the bottom end. I will be using stock re-finished crank, rods, and (possibly) pistons (all are probably iron) with a single plane torker 2 intake and a 625 cfm carb. it will have 2.5" exhaust and a 2500-3200 stall.

It currently has a turbo 400 and stock 14 bolt rear end with at least 373 gears, maybe even up to 410s. (3200 rpm in 3rd gear at 65mph)

My question is, what's the most aggressive cam that will not be useless or over the top? I want it to clack and lope as if it's struggling to stay running, but without high compression, and stock heads, I don't know what my limits are.

I like the sound of the lunati voodoo 286-292 but my cam knowledge is limited, and I don't know how to calculate the ideal lift/duration. What are your suggestions and most importantly, WHY?
Kawtoom is offline   Reply With Quote