The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2023, 11:36 PM   #26
leegreen

Re: stereo install in AD cab, my ideas

check engine.....seems obvious now, had me stumped.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:14 AM   #27
leegreen

Well here is Plan A for the gauge locations. No layout I tried with only 2 gauges made me happy, so I put three holes. Tach, wideband and maybe a clock. Gauges in picture were just handy in the horde.
Name:  driverPOV.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  51.5 KB
Name:  bottom.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  28.0 KB
The headliner will follow a curve something like the lower blue line at right side. I'll probably tip a curved flange on this piece and make companion pieces to transition out to door top windlace at either side.

The bead rolled details more or less match the bottom of dash. The face may get some detail later, once the headliner location is mapped.

I'm happy with the visibility, it is right above the rear view mirror. I might in future angle them towards driver, just for the cool factor.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:03 PM   #28
leegreen

more progress:
Name:  console.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  55.6 KB
This is aluminum, probably do a brushed finish with satin clear on top to keep fingerprints off. The two end pieces were tricky, there is a lot of curves going on there. The ends will be more or less permanent behind the headliner future me will figure out. The center piece will be removable without disturbing headliner.

I'd like to incorporate two small gimble mounted reading lights, like in a airplane or RV, but haven't spotted ones I like yet, most options are about 4", I want 2" or less. So far the best option seems to be those little 1" penny clearance lights with clear lens.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:49 PM   #29
mobileortho

Looks great. It really like the way you made the speaker mounts behind the seat.

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:41 AM   #30
Tempest67

thanks for sharing, I enjoy seeing everyone's custom touches.

keep us posted.

also, those 1 inch penny lights (Princess Auto) are bright
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:53 AM   #31
dsraven

great to see a pic with it sitting in place and the rest of the cab as well. that puts it into perspective better.
will you hinge the panel and use screws or dzus fasteners to keep it closed?
good choice to use aluminum, its easier to do the sheet metal bending.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:52 PM   #32
leegreen

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

There needs to be a flange at the top of these pieces to support the edge of the headliner, the flange will be more or less parallel to the roof. I'll back that flange with a strip of steel for rigidity and screw holding power.
The two outer pieces slip under the windshield trim and windlace, and will get a couple pop rivets. The center does not fit under window trim, screws into windshield header where you see the clecos. Removal will be undoing screws then dropping front and sliding out from above headliner.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:31 PM   #33
dsraven

slip a strip of plastic or thin weatherstrip between the aluminum and steel and it will stop a bunch of electrolysis from causing erosion. otherwie great planning. looks awesome.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:35 PM   #34
dsraven

stainlwss fasteners may also help. plastic washer under their heads helps with them trying to remove the clear coat. some of those C clip body fasrener may be an idea so the screws simply screw into those instead of the aluminum.
sorry, I am sure you knew all this, as you seem like a seasoned veteran and obviously know your way around old vehicles, but sometimes the lurkers gain the knowledge so it does somebody some good somewhere. lol.
keep posrting those pics. I am currently away from home so appreciate the pics from you guys.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:55 PM   #35
leegreen

I hadn't even considered electrolysis, but I was going to paint any steel parts.

Do think it is much of a concern inside the cab?
Old 02-02-2023, 10:45 AM   #36
dsraven

I was involved in a new fire truck purchase and it was specified on every point of contact between aluminum and steel that a plastic shield be used between the parts. some of those got missed on the steel door handles that fit up to the aluminum doors and the paint was peeling off all around them due to electrolysis that started there. it doesn't matter if it is inside or outside as the metal doesn't know the difference. you have probably tried to remove a steel bolt that was installed into an aluminum housing, at some point in years past, and noticed it had "white powdery stuff" in the threads. thats the stuff that forms from electrolysis. if building it from scratch it doesn't take much extra to include some sort of deterrant. a thin sheet of plastic or rubber is all it takes. rubber would help curb any rattles that may come up.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:29 PM   #37
leegreen

I do have some corrosion experience, rebuilding a 70 year old truck and all!. Had not thought much about aluminum to painted metal contact, but I can easily put some of that paint protective plastic film between pieces. Thanks

Kind of OT for this thread, thinking about making door cards with this pattern:Name:  card.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  32.7 KB
I think black is out for the color, looked good in sunlight but it just disappears inside the cab where I already have too much black.
The other sample is aluminum. I'm finding it a bit to shiny although it does not show much glare in the picture here.

The back of the black piece is the satin of new steel sheet, did not take a picture, but I keep looking at that side and thinking maybe a dull silver paint. Then I could do the piece on dash that hides stereo and the center of glove box beads to match.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:02 AM   #38
dsraven

I would def use a satin finish on the dash area, it has less glare. for the door panels I like the satin aluminum look on a black interior. like you said, too much black inside makes it a dark area and light gets sucked up. you can't find anything you drop. I would suggest to do a clear on the bare aluminum, if you go that route, so it doesn't rub off on everything and then have shiny spots or leave your elbow black. a lighter shade of charcoal may offset the black well too.
nice job on the beading, looks great. do you use a soft roller underneath, like a skateboard wheel or something? Lazze had a video that showed him doing a motorcycle tank side where he used that technique with what looked like a fairly pointed upper die, like a tipping die.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:45 AM   #39
leegreen

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  67.3 KB

Princess auto carries this, they call it an art die. They carry a reasonable selection of dies now.
My roller is from them as well, just the usual cheap 18" thing like harbour freight used to sell.
You have to make them more rigid so the two arms don't walk back and forth under load or you wont get nice results. I also strongly recommend replacing the crank with a steering wheel, unless you have a 7+ foot arm span. With the wheel, motorizing no longer seems like the priority I initially thought it was.
Lots of info online on modifying these.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:06 PM   #40
leegreen

Had some perforated 1/8" aluminum, hammer formed some speaker grills for the rear:
Name:  grill1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  61.7 KB
Name:  grill2.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  55.4 KB

I was surprised how easily it shrank around the hammer form. You can see some of the holes at the edge changed shape.
Name:  grill3.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  27.0 KB

Got a support flange behind the console. Getting the rolling, twisting shape close enough really kicked my butt.
Name:  console.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  54.8 KB
Old 02-06-2023, 10:24 AM   #41
dsraven

the grilles came out great. I like the metal grilles oer the plastic grilles any day.
your console looks awesome, like it was factory. great skills you have.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:54 AM   #42
leegreen

Got a chance to move this forward a bit.

Finished rear speaker mounts, trimmed up the grills, got everything mounted.
Will add some screws once I decide what the back panel for cab will be.
Name:  speaker1.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  62.8 KB
Name:  speaker2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  53.8 KB

Got the head unit mounted and trim back on. Everything works and it sounds pretty good, considering I have less than $100 Can in speakers and head unit.
Name:  dash1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  41.9 KB
Name:  dash2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  38.8 KB

I'm not sure I have found my final color for the dash speaker grill cover. Was the factory chrome glovebox door two tone paint? Anyone have good samples of the colors? There is not enough paint left on my glove box door to tell.

Will update this thread with the overhead console completion, hopefully soon.