The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2023, 01:36 PM   #1
damnyankee36

Weird Title Number (Serial #)

I am looking at 1950 3100 with a missing serial # tag. The title that allegedly belongs to the truck shows the VIN to be 0035556T55X.

This obviously isn't the correct format for the serial #. I read that back in the day the engine serial # was sometimes used. This number also doesn't match the correct format for engine numbers.

Any ideas as what this number is? As it stands there is no number on the truck that matches the title.

I think I would rather go through the trouble of getting a new title with a new assigned number than get one of those repo tags and stamp that funky number on it.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:40 PM   #2
leegreen

Re: Weird Title Number (Serial #)

years back we licensed an old 1949 ford farm truck that came from out of province and had no serial number. After the expected amount of paperwork hassle we were issued a new serial number by the province, we had to stamp it into the RF frame rail behind front axle then tow the truck to their office for the number to be visually confirmed.

Since there is international agreement on VIN related stuff maybe this is some standard location.....have a look there?
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:35 PM   #3
mr48chev

That vin shows to be a 55 V8 engine built in Tonawanda that came in a 3100. https://www.gm.com/content/dam/compa...2nd-Series.pdf

Does it have a 55 265 in it or a V8? T55X is a 55 3100 with a V8.

If it has the 55 265 and the engine serial number matches you can figure that some time or other someone had the title changed to reflect an engine change. The engine change desination may have been lost over the years due to the DMV not placing it on the new title.

If it doesn't have an engine serial number that matches the title I'd be a bit suspect of it. If the engine blockserial number matches you are probably OK and can keep that block for show and tell if you do an engine swap.

I've got a very weathed 50 3100 door post tag still attached to a door post if you were to decide you might need it. No title with it as it came off a hulk I cut up 35 years ago.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:44 PM   #4
damnyankee36

Interesting... No wonder the engine # format didn't make sense; I would have never thought to look at the later years.

No the engine and trans are gone.

Can you PM me a pic of that tag? If I need to apply for a title with a new number anyway I might as well use a number that is the correct format.

Thanks!
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:48 PM   #5
cff

I have a 1951 gmc that had the original 228 in it. When I was importing it across the border into Canada, the border guard went out to check it and came back in and said the serial number doesn't match. I had gotten the truck from my uncle and trusted it to be correct and hadn't checked. I freaked out, but luckily my buddy had gone with me and said : Hey wait a minute. On old GMC's they used to go by the number on the block. The block was still in the truck and saved me. I have just taken the block out cause it was in pieces and met a guy with our insurance company here in BC who let me use the serial number on the A pillar. Maybe you can do that. Say it was an abandoned vehicle.
cff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:05 AM   #6
mr48chev

I'll have to dig it out, As I said, it is a whole door post that I cut out of a junk cab I had.

If the title is from your state and you can transfer it even going Title purpose only or as the Cali guys say "Non OPT". so as to get it in your name and have a clear title you can go back and ask for an engine change update when you get it all together.

I've got a 51 1-1/2 ton with an Oregon title from 1984 that still has the engine number as the vin and no engine. I bought two 1-1/2 ton trucks from the guy and neither had an engine and the red one didn't have a title but came with the sheriffs papers that say it was inspected. That is the one that is donating the back half of the cab to my build. I need to get the one with a title in my name and then go from there.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote