The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2023, 12:30 PM   #26
dsraven

Re: Cab mounts

it does go for a long stretch with no connection from one rail to the other. like LG says, the engineer would say it is fine (third party of course) but if doing, say, slalom or something that tends to flex the frame I would think it may flex more than anticipated. a cross member connection between the rails in the vicinity of the cab mounts would probably help but maybe they are including the cab as part of the structure? anyway, probably fine for cruising around, doing the odd tire compound check, haha.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 02:04 PM   #27
mr48chev

I've been eyeballing aftermarket chassis for X member ideas and will probably do a bit of a take on what TCI has done on this chassis.

I haven't been planning on taking out the crossmember under the bellhousing because that is what keeps the frame from twisting from the weight of the cab i you don't do some serious reinforcing of the frame but a setup like this would counteract that and can be done with rectangular tubing but I could do it with round tubing and the bender I have.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 02:16 PM   #28
mr48chev

More aftermarket chassis snooping brought up Scott's Hotrods AD chassis that has a pretty nifty crossmember/ frame support setup that most could use as an example to build their own. The only thing I don't like about that chassis is his overly complicated upper control arm setup for setting caster and camber. having to deal with that on a front end rack on a finished truck would send a front end tech running out the door screaming as you have to take the upper control arm loose from the frame to adjust it. I'd charge 100 bucks an hour straight time to align that front end and not feel guilty about charging it.https://scottshotrods.com/1948-1954-chevy-car-chassis/
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:31 PM   #29
dsraven

those style chassis are stout but you really gotta plan things out so there is room for exhaust, fuel tank, etc
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 04:52 PM   #30
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
those style chassis are stout but you really gotta plan things out so there is room for exhaust, fuel tank, etc
That's on any build though. Lack of thinking it out end to end and planning will get you in trouble every time.

Exhaust routing is a biggie because a lot of guy don't start thinking about exhaust until everything else is pretty well done on the chassis and the frame is already painted or worse yet powdercoated. That isn't just truck guys but every phase of the car/truck modifying hobby.

It took some hunting but I found the Roadster shop chassis that I was looking at the other day that has the booster and master cylinder on the outside of the frame rail. That frees up a good deal of rom in a tight space.

It will take some engineering but I think I can create an assembly that lets me use the stock brake and clutch pedals and run a shaft to the outside of the frame to a lever that actuates the brake booster and cylinder. I'm thinking that I have seen some setups that have one pedal moving the shaft to actuate brake or clutch with the other pedal riding on it's bushing on that shaft.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2023, 06:00 PM   #31
leegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
some setups that have one pedal moving the shaft to actuate brake or clutch with the other pedal riding on it's bushing on that shaft.
mid 60s c10 were something like that. Clutch was a shaft that has a clamp on arm on right side of pedal box where factory clutch linkage hooked on. The brake pedal attached to a tube that rotated on top of clutch shaft.

mid 60s gm cars and CJ jeeps had versions of inner and outer shaft.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote