The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
tucktuck

Question about rear fender clearance

I am in the process of putting together a new bed kit and had a quick question for you guys...

I am doing the No Limit wide ride front end with the trailing arm rear kit with Ridetech coil-overs. I will be running 345/30/20's on the rear and want the the tires to be as far out towards the bedside as possible (I'm not crazy about the sunken in look that some have). I'll attach a pic of the look I'm after.

My question is, do I need to rework the inner fender portion on the rear fender to achieve this?

Thanks.
Attached Images

tucktuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
tucktuck

Re: Question about rear fender clearance

No one has any idea on this??
Old 10-18-2021, 12:22 AM   #3
smbrouss70

Yes, you will need to cut that area out to get your wheels as far out as possible. Us old guys call it the "Lucy mod" since the first time we saw pics of what was done to alleviate this problem was done by N2Billet on his red 68 named Lucy. Those pictures are missing from that old thread, but I was anal enough to save the pictures way back when.

On my Blazer and on Gringo's truck, that area is cut out with nothing replacing the factory piece tying the inner and outer bedwalls together. If you are working on the bedside off of the truck, I would go ahead and build the inner structure though. It will make it more structural and stop road grime from being flung up in there where it is impossible to clean. I do plan to add that on my Blazer this winter.
Attached Images

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:50 PM   #4
tucktuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
Yes, you will need to cut that area out to get your wheels as far out as possible. Us old guys call it the "Lucy mod" since the first time we saw pics of what was done to alleviate this problem was done by N2Billet on his red 68 named Lucy. Those pictures are missing from that old thread, but I was anal enough to save the pictures way back when.

On my Blazer and on Gringo's truck, that area is cut out with nothing replacing the factory piece tying the inner and outer bedwalls together. If you are working on the bedside off of the truck, I would go ahead and build the inner structure though. It will make it more structural and stop road grime from being flung up in there where it is impossible to clean. I do plan to add that on my Blazer this winter.
Awesome! Thats what I was thinking I saw somewhere on here. Thanks for snagging those pics as well.

Much appreciated!