The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #26
SCOTI

Re: fedup need to vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I notice this post and didn't see an answer.

sometimes when the uppers have been off people put them on the wrong side and have issues maybe post some pics someone might be able to tell

Did you confirm they are not swapped? They are L and R sides to them.

A picture from directly above may answer the question?
I could see that impacting Caster but not causing excess POS Camber. Still worth verifying things are installed correctly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #27
pappy 2

Accelo,

I just noticed you post, had not checked back in a couple of days. But I thought POL people would have notice right off with the Pictures I sent. You may be right after what I discovered today. Will find out tomarrow when switch right arm with the left.
pappy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #28
HO455
Post Whore

After looking closely at the photos you posted I have question about the first one.
The arrow is pointing at what looks to be a spacer between the upper control arm shaft and the frame.
Is that what I am seeing?
Is there one on the other bolt?
If so removing them would definitely pull camber out of the wheel.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:05 PM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
After looking closely at the photos you posted I have question about the first one.
The arrow is pointing at what looks to be a spacer between the upper control arm shaft and the frame.
Is that what I am seeing?
Is there one on the other bolt?
If so removing them would definitely pull camber out of the wheel.
I believe those are the spacers that they said he would need.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:15 PM   #30
pappy 2

I have enclosed some pics. Have overlayed the left control arm to the right side, does anyone have an opinion as to which may be correct.

Also enclosed picture showing what happens when conical washers are removed from behind arm mount. Leaves a 1/4 to 3/8 in space between arm and cross member.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2021, 06:25 PM   #31
pappy 2

Ho45,

Those are the OEM conical washers that are required on 71-72 model yrs. They are concave on back side, without them the upper control arm hits the frame crossmember and the control arm cross pin would no "seat" against the crossmember, leaves about 1/4 inch gap. Removing those washers or spacers was the first thing the POL people told me to do and then buy some of their other washers to replace those, another $60+.

See pictures in previous post I made today.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #32
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy 2 View Post
I have enclosed some pics. Have overlayed the left control arm to the right side, does anyone have an opinion as to which may be correct.

Also enclosed picture showing what happens when conical washers are removed from behind arm mount. Leaves a 1/4 to 3/8 in space between arm and cross member.
It appears to me that you've got the wrong upper control arm on there. It should be the one that positions the upper ball joint closer to the front of the truck. Here's a photo of the left side of my truck. Note the position of the rubber bumper.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:11 PM   #33
Big Kev-O

The second picture looks correct. The bumps stop should be toward the rear of the truck.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:05 PM   #34
Accelo

It will make a huge difference and help center the wheel in the housing.
If that turns out to to be the issue thank firedemon as he suggested it as a possibility.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #35
pappy 2

Thumbs up Re: fedup need to vent

Switching the upper contorl arms has made a big difference in caster, centering wheel in the wheel well, and also now have netural camber, wheel is no longer tilted out at top.

Thanks to firedemon and everyone who replyed to my original post, it has been a much better help than I was able to get from the vendor.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #36
my67c20

Glad to hear that you are going in a good direction.

Not defending the vendor in their lack of quality customer support, but keep in mind most are just selling parts and rely on you to know what you are getting and how to install correctly. However, even though the vendor sucks, any feedback you can provide, or suggestions on improvement can only help the next person.

This is a perfect example of why its important to take picture before you take something apart and why its important that when you have an installation issue to post pictures with first posting. Lots of knowledge here and lots of people willing to jump in and help out.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #37
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Switching the upper contorl arms has made a big difference in caster, centering wheel in the wheel well, and also now have netural camber, wheel is no longer tilted out at top.

Thanks to firedemon and everyone who replyed to my original post, it has been a much better help than I was able to get from the vendor.
Good to hear you solved the problem. And thanks for posting the results! I for one have gained knowledge from this thread.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:37 PM   #38
jimijam00

Thumbs up Re: fedup need to vent

Quote:
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote