The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2021, 03:20 AM   #1
Swedchevy67

Fuel tank under bed

Need some suggestion about putting the fuel tank under the bed WITHOUT removing the bed.
On my 67 I removed the bed so it could be better to replace the fuel tank, but now on my 69 I’m not so hungry doing that job, so my plan is to cut out a peace of the steel bed and do it from there. To protect it from the outside I will replace the cutting peace with a new top (don’t know yet with what).
Any pictures and information will be much appreciated.
Merry Christmas 🎅
Swedchevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
Old_Truck_Fan

Re: Fuel tank under bed

I used this rear tank from LMC in my truck build. It's a top fill so you just need to cut a hole in your bed floor for the fill port. Otherwise everything loads in from the bottom.

https://www.lmctruck.com/1967-72-che...mount-gas-tank
Attached Images

Old_Truck_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Truck_Fan View Post
I used this rear tank from LMC in my truck build. It's a top fill so you just need to cut a hole in your bed floor for the fill port. Otherwise everything loads in from the bottom.

Just what I thought. 👍
Thanks 🙏
Old 12-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
Swedchevy67

Do you have any pictures?
Old 12-04-2021, 01:00 PM   #5
CC69Rat

The gas talk from a 1969 Camaro works very well in these trucks. It's what I normally use and put the fill tube behind the license plate. Pick up a flip down style license plate from a 70-72 Monte Carlo and it's almost (slight modifications) a direct bolt in for our trucks. It is a really clean setup too.

More pics in my build thread on the 68 Gold / White truck. It was lowered around 7" in the back and still didnt hang low or drag or anything. The only problem is it's 16 gallons. You'll just have to stop more often for fuel.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:38 PM   #6
Accelo

With a steel bed the filler cover is larger than the corrugations in the floor. This makes for ugly gaps under the fill, if it has a flange anyway.
If their is a better method of putting the fill in a steel floor let me know.
IMHO they all look terrible. Installing a tank in from the bottom isn't that difficult. Accommodating the fill was my issue.
I wished I would have looked into the Camaro tank closer. Relocating the tank has been a giant pain and the costs have added up. Some of the cost overruns were my fault as I purchased the hardware to install the fill behind the tail light which I didn't use among other ideas I abandoned.

I used an aftermarket Aluminum Tank.
It was made in China poorly designed. It hit the bed cross-member before the flanges on the side came up against the frame. The pump was on the wrong side of the cross-member so fuel lines and electrical would have to go through the bed cross-member and the fill was too far forward to reach comfortably. I have made a lot of changes on my truck and relocating the tank was by far the most difficult. I made it work but it delayed my project. Figuring out a fill, that was tolerable, was a longer process than I would have liked. I ended up reversing a Blazer fill and mounting it on the inside of the bed. I had to plug the old tank fill and weld in a new bung for the revised filler location. I also added a electric fuel pump and rotated the tank 180 degrees so it would all work. I also had to build an adapter to go from the 1-3/4" to 1/-1/2" on the fill tube. And I changed the angle on the Blazer fill so it would work.
So You can see why prior planning is so important. I recommend you take a close look at the Camaro tank. The early Chevelles also have the fill behind the plate and this part is available after-market so it's easy enough to find.

I have included a picture of the unpainted fuel fill I ended up with along with the modified fill tube.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #7
CC69Rat

Here are a couple pics of how we did the Camaro tank. It's not perfect by any means, it just shows how it can be done, how it fits in the frame rails, etc. The flip down tag bracket was a big hit every show I took it to. People would ask where the filler neck was. This being a wood floor truck might be slightly different than a metal floor but if so I'd think you would have even more room to work with and might be able to even figure out how to make it sit higher in the frame rails. Dad was just trying to center and position the filler neck behind the tag so it looked semi factory and clean.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...444414&page=31

starts about half way down..

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 12-05-2021, 01:42 AM   #8
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
With a steel bed the filler cover is larger than the corrugations in the floor. This makes for ugly gaps under the fill, if it has a flange anyway.
If their is a better method of putting the fill in a steel floor let me know.
IMHO they all look terrible. Installing a tank in from the bottom isn't that difficult. Accommodating the fill was my issue.
I wished I would have looked into the Camaro tank closer. Relocating the tank has been a giant pain and the costs have added up. Some of the cost overruns were my fault as I purchased the hardware to install the fill behind the tail light which I didn't use among other ideas I abandoned.

I used an aftermarket Aluminum Tank.
It was made in China poorly designed. It hit the bed cross-member before the flanges on the side came up against the frame. The pump was on the wrong side of the cross-member so fuel lines and electrical would have to go through the bed cross-member and the fill was too far forward to reach comfortably. I have made a lot of changes on my truck and relocating the tank was by far the most difficult. I made it work but it delayed my project. Figuring out a fill, that was tolerable, was a longer process than I would have liked. I ended up reversing a Blazer fill and mounting it on the inside of the bed. I had to plug the old tank fill and weld in a new bung for the revised filler location. I also added a electric fuel pump and rotated the tank 180 degrees so it would all work. I also had to build an adapter to go from the 1-3/4" to 1/-1/2" on the fill tube. And I changed the angle on the Blazer fill so it would work.
So You can see why prior planning is so important. I recommend you take a close look at the Camaro tank. The early Chevelles also have the fill behind the plate and this part is available after-market so it's easy enough to find.

I have included a picture of the unpainted fuel fill I ended up with along with the modified fill tube.
Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations. Awesome info.
I will look into the Camaro tank.
👍
Old 12-05-2021, 02:19 AM   #9
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Here are a couple pics of how we did the Camaro tank. It's not perfect by any means, it just shows how it can be done, how it fits in the frame rails, etc. The flip down tag bracket was a big hit every show I took it to. People would ask where the filler neck was. This being a wood floor truck might be slightly different than a metal floor but if so I'd think you would have even more room to work with and might be able to even figure out how to make it sit higher in the frame rails. Dad was just trying to center and position the filler neck behind the tag so it looked semi factory and clean.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...444414&page=31

starts about half way down..
Took me a while finding and after awhile I had to start your
journey from the beginning. Your truck build is the best one
I have ever spotted. AWESOME 👏🏽
In the end I returned to my input and photocopy all your pictures
from the Camaro tank mount.
Your help will be a great start.
Thanks again 🙏
Old 12-05-2021, 02:40 AM   #10
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedchevy67 View Post
Took me a while finding and after awhile I had to start your
journey from the beginning. Your truck build is the best one
I have ever spotted. AWESOME 👏🏽
In the end I returned to my input and photocopy all your pictures
from the Camaro tank mount.
Your help will be a great start.
Thanks again 🙏
I found this in Sweden, but it’s for Camaro 70-73 and the
filler neck is straight. Did you reconstructed the filler neck and
bend it?
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2021, 03:12 AM   #11
Mbeef61

Can’t believe no one has mentioned Boyd’s welding tanks
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #12
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbeef61 View Post
Can’t believe no one has mentioned Boyd’s welding tanks

I have one in my 67, but The OP said he didnt want to take the bed off. I agree though, by far the Boyd tanks would be my first choice. Absolutely awesome quality but they're pricey.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #13
Joyridin

I installed the Boyd's tank without removing my bed. On top of that, I did it alone with no help. I mounted the fuel inlet behind the left tail light using a kit from LS Fabrication. I drilled the holes, then welded all the nuts to the frame so they would not come loose when I tightened up the mounting bolts. There is plenty at the top to hook up the hoses and electrical.

The only issue I had was exhaust, which you will probably have with any tank depending on how your exhaust is run.
Attached Images

Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #14
BigBird05

CC69rat, After looking at your post I too am interested in the Camaro tank set up. Do you know if there is any physical difference between a 69 and a 70 Camaro tank?
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #15
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
CC69rat, After looking at your post I too am interested in the Camaro tank set up. Do you know if there is any physical difference between a 69 and a 70 Camaro tank?
I looked at the Camaro tank a lot. I really liked the idea initially, but there are 2 issues.

First is the exhaust. If you are running out the side, no problem. If you plan on going out the back, you are going to have a real hard time getting the pipes bent around the tank.

Second, it does sit below the frame rails 100%, so the only thing holding it is the straps. Maybe this is an issue, maybe not, but in the case of a rollover or some other accident, there is nothing protecting any portion of that tank.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #16
Old_Truck_Fan

Just another idea on the bed fill option in a steel floor. I used a universal fill from Eddie Motorsports and welded in a 1/4 thick mounting ring.
Attached Images

Old_Truck_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
I looked at the Camaro tank a lot. I really liked the idea initially, but there are 2 issues.

First is the exhaust. If you are running out the side, no problem. If you plan on going out the back, you are going to have a real hard time getting the pipes bent around the tank.

Second, it does sit below the frame rails 100%, so the only thing holding it is the straps. Maybe this is an issue, maybe not, but in the case of a rollover or some other accident, there is nothing protecting any portion of that tank.
Not everyone has $1k + to drop on a Boyd tank brother. I'm just trying to put budget friendly options out there. Your points are clear and legitimate to consider, yes and I never ever said it could not possibly be done without removing the bed. I understand and respect your opinions. The original post asked for options so that's what I'm offering up. I have other Boyd Welding tank options and yours looks great. Some metal floor, some wood floor, some behind the tail light, some behind the tag. Or, a combination of the options. That's what these trucks offer are options to build it the way you want it and what your budget allows.

My exhaust ran fine, 7" drop, Porterbuilt rear, wood floor. No problems at all unless you're doing Dukes of Hazzard style jumps on a daily basis. Just my .02

Old 12-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #18
Accelo

Lots of creative fill options from the members thanks for sharing.
I purchased the same kit from LS Fabrication. But found it too difficult to install as my bed was already painted. (Remember the bad planning on my part).
Painting of the bed was finished and my unwillingness to touch up the paint reduced my filling options considerably.
I do consider the behind the tail light option one of the best. Behind the marker light seems like damaging the paint would be more likely. I even considered installing a 2000 Silverado bedside fill. I feel like all are viable ideas, before painting!
The Camaro tank seems like a good candidate especially if the installer wants to limit the modifications to the bed. The method and thought that goes into the fuel fill is indicative of the build and is an important consideration.
The builder really should consider the option of just keeping the tank in the stock location. Especially if cost is a factor. It could be as simple as adding a remote fuel pump and you’re ready to go. No wiring issues and the fuel gauge works without mods.
The LS Fabrication pieces are expensive as is a Boyd tank. I saved no money going with the Off Shore tank. Of course, it wasn't sold that way as the seller left that information out. The inspection sticker gave it away. That and many design issues I had to overcome to install it. Zero thought, from the manufacture, was given to the engineering aspect of the install. Best guess would be to budget $1500 for most tank relocations. And don't forget to include the cost for dealing with the old cab fill. I wish I had read this thread before making the decision to relocate.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #19
Ironhorse

A little late to the party with this but just want to throw this out there for anyone still trying to decide about a tank relocation. I purchased a poly tank from GMCPaul as an option and installed the tank with the bed off during the body and paint work. My truck being a stock height long bed 4x4 the tank height was not a consideration. Do think it could be installed with the bed on altho I did notch a bed cross member for the install. Tank is held to the frame by two metal straps and the fill comes up into the bed thru the driver's side wheel well. Leaves the bed floor totally available for hauling items. Gathered the fuel fill parts from a early 90's Chevy van if I recall. This was all done about 15 years ago and have had no problems at all. Fills good at full tilt on the fuel nozzle but get a few odd looks when people see me pouring gas in the truck bed. Lots of options to move a tank but as has been mentioned the fuel fill options and related engineering usually is not a vendor strong point. Have to get creative with what one has to work with and available skills and $$.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #20
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Not everyone has $1k + to drop on a Boyd tank brother. I'm just trying to put budget friendly options out there. Your points are clear and legitimate to consider, yes and I never ever said it could not possibly be done without removing the bed. I understand and respect your opinions. The original post asked for options so that's what I'm offering up. I have other Boyd Welding tank options and yours looks great. Some metal floor, some wood floor, some behind the tail light, some behind the tag. Or, a combination of the options. That's what these trucks offer are options to build it the way you want it and what your budget allows.

My exhaust ran fine, 7" drop, Porterbuilt rear, wood floor. No problems at all unless you're doing Dukes of Hazzard style jumps on a daily basis. Just my .02
I have nowhere near $1000 in the Boyd tank. I was initially looking at your Camaro tank, and a tanks from Tanks Inc. By the time you are all said and done, you aren't that much different in pricing. Probably the biggest issue is whether you have EFI or not. The Boyd carb version is $388. It was a bit cheaper just a short while ago. Tanks Inc. similar tank is $319. The Camaro tank is a fair amount cheaper, but you have to add straps, your upper square tubing, and what looks to be a lot more work.

Besides, I never knocked it. All I said is the exhaust might be hard and maybe there is an issue with it sitting totally out in the open.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:28 PM   #21
Mbeef61

I also was able to put the Boyd’s on with the bed on and by myself super easy. And it isn’t super expensive at around $400. Has the option to move to efi also. Lots of options out there. Boyd’s is just one of the favorites
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #22
57larry

I put a 69 Camaro gas tank in my 68 step side. fits good, very happy with it
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:06 AM   #23
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Truck_Fan View Post

Years ago I have been doing the Blazer tank underneath the bed on my 67. I remember it was not that hard to do, because of the removal of the bed.
There’s a lot of reply’s in this forum. Gladly to say it’s possible to do without
removing the bed. Also there’s more options, like the Boyds, but it’s impossible
to get here in Sweden. The cheapest for me is still the Blazer tank.
Send some pictures of my 67 install

Last edited by Swedchevy67; 12-06-2021 at 12:21 AM.